Rule passed banning (Pats*) use of ineligible receivers

There is a big difference between gaining any advantage you can within the letter of the rule versus the spirit of the rule.

Should the refs throw a pink flag for "spirit of the rules" violations? Spirit of the rule is opinion, letter of the rule is fact...which is why it is written, reviewed and approved. If the rule needs further clarification, it will be rewritten as it has been. But you can't penalize for "you know what I meant to say".

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

memorable-moments-from-the-history-of-th

His foot was clearly behind that solid white line and the location of the ball when caught was at or slightly forward of the white line.

:censored: blind :censored: ref :censored:

150px-Music_city_miracle_lateral.png

Why on earth would you post this? Sweet Jesus!!

I am not arguing the ineligible / eligible play. I am calling out the next play in the series where the ineligible / eligible should have left the field and did not.

And the refs had any/every opportunity to penalize the Pats on that play. That they did not is on the refs, not the Pats.

Changing the rule kinda shows how the NFL felt about the play.

But God forbid they openly say that was a crap play.

I know it was "legal" but that was not in the spirit of the game.

Should the refs throw a pink flag for "spirit of the rules" violations? Spirit of the rule is opinion, letter of the rule is fact...which is why it is written, reviewed and approved. If the rule needs further clarification, it will be rewritten as it has been. But you can't penalize for "you know what I meant to say".

this drival is why rules and laws are so convoluted to the point that no one under stands them. People like you don't care about the intent, just the loop hole that gets you what you want.

Don't get me wrong, during the game you can't flag it. Doesn't change the fact that the Pats* still will do anything THEY don't think is cheating.

Edited by JaxBills

Spirit of the rule is not always opinion. A lot of times every single person knows why the rule was put there. Bellichick knows why the rule was put there, and he intentionally abused one rule to abuse another. I understand your argument, and you're right, they cannot throw the flag on it. But there are two ways to look at it, and one of them is that he was cheating because he intentionally abused the rule, not to gain a fair advantage but to gain an unfair advantage, which is why they immediately came in and said you can't do that anymore, saving the spirit of the rule from later abuse.

And the refs had any/every opportunity to penalize the Pats on that play. That they did not is on the refs, not the Pats.

because the Ref;s didn't even know WTF was happening.

Keep defending the rule bender. See Bilicheat and goal line camera thread. Such an easy fix, but is it because Belicheat suggested it that there is opposition?

Tom Brady on the Ravens' complaints: Learn the rules

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2015/01/tom_brady_on_the_ravens_complaints_learn_the_rules

"Maybe those guys have got to study the rule book and figure it out," Brady said. "We obviously knew what we were doing and we made some pretty important plays. It was a real good weapon for us. Maybe we’ll have something in store next week."

Spirit of the rule is not always opinion. A lot of times every single person knows why the rule was put there. Bellichick knows why the rule was put there, and he intentionally abused one rule to abuse another. I understand your argument, and you're right, they cannot throw the flag on it. But there are two ways to look at it, and one of them is that he was cheating because he intentionally abused the rule, not to gain a fair advantage but to gain an unfair advantage, which is why they immediately came in and said you can't do that anymore, saving the spirit of the rule from later abuse.

bingo

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Here's what we know as a fact: The Patriots are once again, the champions.

Thank you for your thoughts. Have a nice drive home.

We also know they used illegal formations, played with non-regulation equipment, and videotaped opponents defensive signals.

We also know they used illegal formations, played with non-regulation equipment, and videotaped opponents defensive signals.

Nice to see you, Tom. Sharing in this celebration of the New England Patriots 2014 Championship Season with you has been a pleasure. (That's really what all this amounts to. The "haterz" make it sweeter for the winners. I'm not gonna hate, I'm gonna move on.)

Let's hope we can celebrate a Buffalo Bills of New York championship at the end of the 2015 NFL Season. (It's time to move forward)

Have a nice drive home.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Like when Roger Goodell got so jealous that he fined Belichek $500,000 and took away a first round draft pick from the team.

Funny that no one is jealous of the Giants or Steelers, who have won two Super Bowls apiece since 2007.

Like when Roger Goodell got so jealous that he fined Belichek $500,000 and took away a first round draft pick from the team.

Except that Goodell is such a !@#$ing knucklehead that fining a team out of jealousy sounds like something he'd do.

If NE was in the NFC, there would be zero posts about them here. You know this as well, doc.

Yeah, because people only talk about teams in their own conference. I'm sure if Brady played in the NFC West, we'd never have even heard about his cheating.