[closed]Rex Ryan on Bryce Brown - Ouch

Did anyone else catch this quote?

Ryan on the Bills’ depth at running back: “When we made the LeSean McCoy trade with Fred Jackson and Boobie Dixon and, uh, uh, you know the fast dude.” Bryce “Brown, is it? I’m not going to learn his name until he holds onto the football. And if he does, he’ll have a chance to play but until we feel comfortable about it, he won’t.”

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/03/24/whaley-offensive-line-a-loss-in-otherwise-winning-offseason-for-bills/

Ouch.

I thought of Rex as being kind of soft, protective of players kind of guy, not the coach to call a player out in public. Guess I thought wrong?

Poor Bryce brown... He has NO CLUE how miserable his life will be if he fumbles in TC... He will either be cut on the spot, or used as the "whipping-boy" for the rest of the RB corp... Hopefully he hangs onto the ball.... I doubt it, though.

Also interesting (but not surprising) that Whaley later defended Brown...noting he "only fumbled once" last season and that he viewed that as an excellent play by the defender, not an issue with how Brown carried the rock.

Also interesting (but not surprising) that Whaley later defended Brown...noting he "only fumbled once" last season and that he viewed that as an excellent play by the defender, not an issue with how Brown carried the rock.

that one fumble is burned into my memory. I love Bryce's skill set and hope he has a long productive career here but sitting in the end zone watching the pure joy on Bryce's face turn to horror as the ball was coming out will forever haunt me.

Also interesting (but not surprising) that Whaley later defended Brown...noting he "only fumbled once" last season and that he viewed that as an excellent play by the defender

All true statements.

But the problem is that he came here with a reputation of having a problem with fumbles and it was a HUGE, game costing fumble.

It'd be like someone hiring you knowing that you've had a penchant for being late. But they give you a chance because you have a lot of upside. Then you show up late one day and it costs the company a big sale. It may be the first time it happened there, but combined with the rep - you're screwed.

There was a story about one of Bill Parcels' Giants teams where they were in a good mood yucking it up on the plane following a big win, and Parcels looks at the offensive lineman (Jumbo Elliot? I forgot who) and said "what are laughing at, I brought you in to block Bruce Smith". If Rex is using some psychology, I'm all for it.

[This is an automated response]<br /><br />This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread. <br /><br />Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics. <br /><br />Thank you.