Passing league, huh?

Rockinon

Football is just too complex a game with too many variables to use a simple table like that and get too many conclusions from that data. What the data tells me is that running on 3rd and short is attempted less, but has become much more successful.

What this data needs is to be segmented further to find out WHY running on third and short is converting better even with passing attempts on 3rd and short staying the same. With so many variables, I wish you luck on finding the answer, although I'm sure it's very possible to find out.

Very interesting though. Maybe coordinators are getting smarter.

Edited by musichunch

It seems to me that those stats show a gradual decrease in runs and a gradual increase in passing.

The increase in run conversion percentage is most likely due to simple analytics. Teams notice that running on 3rd and 2 has been declining....so they focus their defenses more often to stop the pass.....therefore there is a higher chance of converting via the run.

Edited by Dibs

It seems to me that those stats show a gradual decrease in runs and a gradual increase in passing.

The increase in run conversion percentage is most likely due to simple analytics. Teams notice that running on 3rd and 2 has been declining....so they focus their defenses more often to stop the pass.....therefore there is a higher chance of converting via the run.

I don't see the gradual increase in passes though. I see passing remaining static (as well as the conversion rates) while runs going down (with higher conversion rate). This is data that definitely has an interesting story behind it. The problem is there are a lot of variables to go over.

I don't see the gradual increase in passes though. I see passing remaining static (as well as the conversion rates) while runs going down (with higher conversion rate). This is data that definitely has an interesting story behind it. The problem is there are a lot of variables to go over.

My assumption: There are less third and short opportunities because of the focus on penalties on the defense. Namely, illegal contact and defensive holding coupled with roughing the passer and defenseless receiver calls which have been the focus of the refs over the past few years. Not only do these all provide automatic first downs, but they also provide a more open passing game to convert longer plays (also taking away more third and short plays). As far as the passing plays remaining static, you have to look at it as a percentage of total plays, not just as a number. 35% of the plays were run plays in 2009, in 2014 it was down to 26%. That's a significant decrease (and subsequent increase in passing) in running plays as a ratio.

Edited by Mark80

People will believe anything if you put lipstick on it. >> STATS LIE. then can be manipulated to prove almost anything.

3rd and 2 is a rushing down. especially if you have a RB with a 4.2 + YPC avg.

3rd and 5 or more is a passing down.

Yea- terrible thread premise

If I may be so bold

terrible thread premise - period

And the conversion rate?

as noted.... higher for the Run than the Pass.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

If it's a passing league, then that means defenses are built to stop the pass, not the ground and pound. LB are smaller, faster players, and nickel being most team's base defense means an extra corner will be on the field.