Whaley not happy Bills haven't done more to address OL

I understand why they started the year with Glenn at LT and Henderson at RT, but given how well Henderson played in the pre-season at LT where he was used to playing I would have thought that when they got to the bye and they looked again at the line (which resulted in Urbik coming in) they could have considered kicking Glenn inside, pulling Henderson over to LT moving Pears back to RT and inserting Urbik at RG.

I compare the Marrone approach of largely stick with it throughout to the Patriots approach who had realy OL problems early last season and kept changing the line up every week (either swapping positions or personnel) through the first 5 or 6 games until they got something that they were happy with.

Yeah, that really got me too. The Pats started out with a sucky line and Brady under too much pressure and the Hoodie and his minions somehow came up with something that worked.

Coaching matters.

Similar things happen on other teams like the Steelers and Seahawks. I honestly wonder if this is evidence of heavy PED use by some of these teams. It makes no sense that offensive or defensive lines that lack talent start out poorly and are dominant by the end of the season. Could be that it is because they are still fresh due to HGH use and they are matching up against players that have the normal fatigue that comes with playing an NFL season. It isn't like Seattle didn't have a bunch of players busted for PED since Carrol has been there, or that Pittsburgh didn't employ the "HGH Doctor" for many years or that Belichick hasn't constantly cheated to gain an advantage. The clincher is that if players were really "coached up" it would last from year to year, but just watch all of those teams again this year. We will see some slow starts, then they'll get it together by mid season and be rolling by the end.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI - OL talk starts past the 9 min mark.

For those who can't listen, Brown said Bills should have kicked Glenn inside to LG last year and slotted Henderson at LT. He thinks that's the way Bills should go this year (if they don't add anyone else) and is optimistic about Cyrus's development after working hard in the offseason.

Thanks, I was hoping someone would provide the meat of the interview. As I said earlier, if no other moves are made outside of the draft, CK's development will be the key to the line this year.

Bandit, can you come up with a source about Henderson playing his entire career on the left side?

Wiki has him playing mostly at RT for the 'canes, when he wasn't suspended or demoted for smokin' Ganja or recovering from back surgery

Sporttrac has his college position as ??

Wow...apparently I'm way off there.

I had thought that most of what I read leading up to the draft was that he played LT at Miami, but apparently that's wrong:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/seantrel-henderson?id=2543730

Thank you very much for pointing that out...now I feel silly.

Here's hoping that Kromer can coach him up.

yeah I think he's taking accountability publically and basically putting it out there that there is work to be done on the OL. I'd rather hear that than "we're good, my work is done, I got some playmakers and signed hughes"

same here. I like that he is not satisfied with the O-line. I see this as a few things: (1) an admission that they want another veteran on the O-line, and a signal to FA's that there is a job open (also to teams interested in some sort of trade); (2) a signal to the current O-line group that they need to step it up; (3) signal to teams he may be willing to trade into back of 1st round to grab an O-line player (i.e. Fisher).

Similar things happen on other teams like the Steelers and Seahawks. I honestly wonder if this is evidence of heavy PED use by some of these teams. It makes no sense that offensive or defensive lines that lack talent start out poorly and are dominant by the end of the season. Could be that it is because they are still fresh due to HGH use and they are matching up against players that have the normal fatigue that comes with playing an NFL season. It isn't like Seattle didn't have a bunch of players busted for PED since Carrol has been there, or that Pittsburgh didn't employ the "HGH Doctor" for many years or that Belichick hasn't constantly cheated to gain an advantage. The clincher is that if players were really "coached up" it would last from year to year, but just watch all of those teams again this year. We will see some slow starts, then they'll get it together by mid season and be rolling by the end.

Very interesting points. Does the NFL test for HGH now? (I'm very certain the Pats will cheat in any way to win).

PEDs and HGH have nothing to do with it. Good Coaches and players make adjustments that result in better play. It's no secret that those teams; the pats, steelers, and Seahawks are 3 of the most consistently good teams in the league. You could relate that to any player and make that assumption. Gilmore came on at the end of the season...

PEDs and HGH have nothing to do with it. Good Coaches and players make adjustments that result in better play. It's no secret that those teams; the pats, steelers, and Seahawks are 3 of the most consistently good teams in the league. You could relate that to any player and make that assumption. Gilmore came on at the end of the season...

LOL! Yeah, okay.

So they're banned for...what reason then?

I think the OL will benefit more than people realize by the addition of Incignito. Reminds me of when the Billls signed Dobler in the early 80's, only Cognito still has a lot more left in the tank.

Not jumping on the CK bandwagon, however. Until proven otherwise, he's a total washout in my book.

Fix it for yourself:

Nothing to fix. He's a fine LT and would be a fine OG if the need arises and they think Hendetson can play LT. But the implication coming out of college that he could only play OG was wrong.

Would I be correct in projecting that our starting O-Line will look like this?

LT-Glenn

LG-Incognito

C-Wood

RG-Urbik

RT-Henderson

I think Incognito plays where Pears played last year at RG. And the current plan is that Williams comes back healthy and plays LG. Urbik would be back up for the two.

Well, I sure hope Doug fires whomever it was that failed to address the OL problem. Then again, a good OL isn't important at all. Teams that can't rush because of lousy blocking, and teams that give up sacks or have harassed QBs still make the playoffs don't they?

Personally I think it's a step forward to read that Whaley admits that. Previously we would have heard that the Bills think the answer at OG is already on the team (eg one of last year's under-performers).

I'm glad to hear that the Bills were trying for Jahri Evans. It seems to me that some FA talent on OL is out there, and I'm not sure we need Harvin more than one of those guys. On the other hand, the Bills last 3 attempts to find OG talent in the mid-tier FA marketplace didn't exactly fill me with hope and joy.

That was Chan Gailey's idea, and the OL immediately looked better with Fitz driving than with Trentative, because Fitz did just that.

What is there about Roman's offense and our playmakers/QB that leads you to believe that'll work for us now? McCoy is a skill runner. He needs blocking. Cassel is a decent player as a system QB, run first and pass opportunistically just enough to keep the defense honest.

I wondered about that, too.

I think the addition of Felton, Clay and Icognito help to make the OL look better. OLmen are not the only ones that can block.

I hope everyone understands one thing with regard to Glenn: if you move him inside, he's leaving as an unrestricted FA next off-season.

He's played the majority of his NFL snaps at LT, and he'll get LT money on the open market. You cannot expect him to accept LG money to stay here, even if he moves inside and plays well.

That doesn't mean that he won't be moved; that could certainly happen. The only scenario in which he moves that makes sense, IMO, would be for Buffalo to ink him to an extension before they inform him of the move to guard.

If that's the case, I believe you'd see:

LT - Henderson

LG - Glenn

C - Wood

RG - Incognito

RT - Kouandjio/Draft pick

That said, I think it's far more likely to be:

LT - Glenn

LG - vet (Mathis or Evans) OR Draft pick

C - Wood

RG - Incognito/Urbik/Williams/Richardson winner

RT - Henderson/Kouandjio winner

This is pretty spot on. There are also some OLmen on the roster that aren't listed here. Someone may surprise this year.

And lastly: enough of everyone speculating we could see Mario restructure this offseason to make way to a Mathis/Evans trade....we reeaaallllyyyyy need that restructure to happen next year so we can avoid cap nightmare/signing all of our FAs

The Mario restructure is being saved for the signing of Marcel.

Ugh. How many years of this?

This says it all from this fans perspective. With every new regime they always want the shiny new toys (skill players) first or defense. So far how many times has this franchise made the playoffs with that #1 pick used on a WR, on a RB, on a defensive star?

Since 2000 DE Erik Flowers-DB Nate Clements-OT Mike Williams-RB Willis McGahee-WR Lee Evans-DB Donte Whitner- RB Marshawn Lynch-DB Leodis McKelvin-DE Aaron Maybin-OC Eric Wood- RB CJ Spiller- DT Marcell Dareus- DB Stephon Gilmore- QB EJ Manuel- WR Sammy Watkins- WR Sammy Watkins.

Jauron had to have that speedy DE for his tampon 2 defense, Gailey had to have his "waterbug" instead of a LT or OG. Doug Maroon ran the ball until the fans threw up, and built the best "hurry up" three downs and out offense yet. Then next year threw it 40+ times a game while forgetting to run. The most important game of the season against the Raiders ...13 rushes for 13 yards.

Now Rex proclaims that they will run the ball 50 times a game...and that is what they will need to do in order to make a first down by rushing with this sorry roster.

Why is every new Bills regime so stinking stupid that they continue to build the offense bass ackwards??

EDIT: Its getting really old reading from fans defending the failure from the team to secure the proper talent for the offensive line. How some new O line coach is supposedly going to elevate the play of bad players into acceptable players. Oh wait the new scheme will do that because this new OC built a great run game with his old team....nvm the fact that he had 3 #1 picks, 2 pro bowlers on that line. Or suddenly the same players graded as the worst in the league will magically transform into viable starters because its a new season.

This GM knew he had a problem at OG- RT, and went out and signed everything but....oh, but he tried. The Bills have one new OG that could go off a cliff in a heartbeat if someone looks at him the wrong way. This is not the proper way to build an offense, and most of you guys know it. Stop making excuses for them.

Edited by FeartheLosing