No extension for Luck in 2015

theyd trade him before it got to free agency. no way they just say "screw it, were letting him walk"

But if he was determined to put himself up for auction to the highest bidder, his new team would be unable to sign him to a contract.

And if that was his declared intention, the trade well might be poisoned since it would just be a rental.

The real question for me, assuming that it's about services for hire, is how much of a hook are franchise tags and the risk of injury, and how much more, if indeed at all, having 32 teams bidding for his services could add to the compensation.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if he was determined to put himself up for auction to the highest bidder, his new team would be unable to sign him to a contract.

And if that was his declared intention, the trade well might be poisoned since it would just be a rental.

The real question for me, assuming that it's about services for hire, is how much of a hook are franchise tags and the risk of injury, and how much more, if indeed at all, having 32 teams bidding for his services could add to the compensation.

with the option, and 2 tags, hed have to play 3 years under 1 year deals -- this would be the other issue. at that point, he has some real incentive to just sign a 5 year deal with some guaranteed money -- and he can still try to force a trade.

a successful qb on a rookie deal will have quite the road to go if he wants to get to FA. sure, he could tell a team hed also refuse all trades/extensions and demand a path to FA -- but it starts not making much sense for the player at some point. it just seems to work better for everyone, if everyone plays along -- even if that means finding a partner for a monster deal after the first tag.

Edited by NoSaint

So to be clear, you are somewhat dubious of where Andrew Luck's career may be headed but you are a staunch defender of EJ Manuel and his magical mysterious upside?

I rarely agree with you but this made me chuckle.

with the option, and 2 tags, hed have to play 3 years under 1 year deals -- this would be the other issue. at that point, he has some real incentive to just sign a 5 year deal with some guaranteed money -- and he can still try to force a trade.

a successful qb on a rookie deal will have quite the road to go if he wants to get to FA. sure, he could tell a team hed also refuse all trades/extensions and demand a path to FA -- but it starts not making much sense for the player at some point. it just seems to work better for everyone, if everyone plays along -- even if that means finding a partner for a monster deal after the first tag.

Agree. It would certainly be an anomaly. I just wonder whether in a truly unique case perceptions of what the market really is could be so far apart that negotiations with a single suitor might not be possible. 5 years 150 with 70 guaranteed might be Irsay's view, and that of most teams. 200 with 100 guaranteed might be Luck's thinking.

In my experience, people who are regarded as important assets and who get to negotiate their comp invariably opt for getting their money up front, even when it appears to make little sense relative to a more lucrative alternative that introduces some, albeit one would have thought manageable risk (at least to me).

Agree. It would certainly be an anomaly. I just wonder whether in a truly unique case perceptions of what the market really is could be so far apart that negotiations with a single suitor might not be possible. 5 years 150 with 70 guaranteed might be Irsay's view, and that of most teams. 200 with 100 guaranteed might be Luck's thinking.

In my experience, people who are regarded as important assets and who get to negotiate their comp invariably opt for getting their money up front, even when it appears to make little sense relative to a more lucrative alternative that introduces some, albeit one would have thought manageable risk (at least to me).

I know this is risky, because injuries can happen in the NFL, but I would give up 200 with 100 guaranteed plus 3 #1s and a couple #2s for Luck.

I know this is risky, because injuries can happen in the NFL, but I would give up 200 with 100 guaranteed plus 3 #1s and a couple #2s for Luck.

Well I sure love the guy too, but I confess I have no idea what the market is or should be.

He's probably worth more than any other player in the game.

@NBCdianna: It's been reported Chuck Pagano hasn't been offered a contract extension with the Colts but there's more to it.

@NBCdianna: Sources indicate to me that Pagano has been offered a 1 year extension at a very modest increase, something he won't do. #Colts

Well consider the Bledsoe, Rob Johnson, trading up for Losman and that pick and E.J. That's 4 1st rd picks they've gotten minimal return from thus far. Also throw in a Trent Edwards pick and I think the Bills still would be getting better end of deal.

Well, according to a former performer, Luck is like the emperor's new clothes. So maybe the Colts finally got wise to things.

So i guess we have to wait until Luck has season ending surgery and there is another franchise QB that the colts can get.

• 3 weeks later...

@JasonLaCanfora: Somebody explain to me the logic in Colts not trying to sign Luck now. I don't get it (neither do other execs/agents):http://t.co/uqaQS5B6q8

The lucky sperm (aka Irsay Jr.) isn't one for convention. I doubt Luck will ever walk away from Indy, but I wouldn't put it past Irsay to screw it up -- in which case I would hope the Bills pounce.

usually, not a big lacanfora guy - but i kind of agree with him on this one. that contract is only going to get bigger the longer they put it off.

yea but if you look at is as career value instead of contract.... they get him extra cheap for a year at 3m thats a $20m discount, then next year at 16m will likely be a 4-5m discount. It would have to be an extra 5m per year to truly cost them more in the long run.

Also pushes his final deal deeper into his 30s which miiiiiight save a few bucks?

i assume indy (right or wrong in how they are evaluating the options) are looking at this in a 10-15 year total career, not an individual contract.

yea but if you look at is as career value instead of contract.... they get him extra cheap for a year at 3m thats a $20m discount, then next year at 16m will likely be a 4-5m discount. It would have to be an extra 5m per year to truly cost them more in the long run.

Also pushes his final deal deeper into his 30s which miiiiiight save a few bucks?

i assume indy (right or wrong in how they are evaluating the options) are looking at this in a 10-15 year total career, not an individual contract.

Good stuff.