No Compensory Picks for the Bills

This is known last year. The FA this year will go toward next years compensatory selections.

Yeah, I know, the picks relate to last year's FA. I figured we wouldnt get any because we didnt lose too many players except Byrd. This is just the official list. Still a bummer the pats get a third rounder. Imagine what whaley could do with a 3rd. He got Preston Brown in the 4th and Henderson in the 7th....

Edited by Uffalo Ills

Anyone know how Clay figures in this calculation? I know it is players lost vs signed and the money plays a role. But he was a transition player. Do they count him the same as say Pears or Spiller?

Clay does count but Harvin and Incognito don't. Bills are still net negative (searcy, spiller, pears and smith vs clay, Felton, and Taylor) and currently in line for a 4th. Spikes going elsewhere would add another. Would prefer they didn't sign any other qualifying free agent until June now to hold this position.

Yeah, I know, the picks relate to last year's FA. I figured we wouldnt get any because we didnt lose too many players except Byrd. This is just the official list. Still a bummer the pats get a third rounder. Imagine what whaley could do with a 3rd. He got Preston Brown in the 4th and Henderson in the 7th....

Brown was a third round pick. Still awesome though

Clay does count but Harvin and Incognito don't. Bills are still net negative (searcy, spiller, pears and smith vs clay, Felton, and Taylor) and currently in line for a 4th. Spikes going elsewhere would add another. Would prefer they didn't sign any other qualifying free agent until June now to hold this position.

Honestly, I'm not sure clay dies. An rfa doesn't because the previous team restricted his movement and it wasn't a truly expired contract. I think that by insisting on keeping the right to match via the transition tag he probably doesn't count

Revis, Browner, McCourty, Vereen? They lost a lot IMO.

These picks are for last year, they lost Talib (but added Revis and Browner...)

It's a pretty simple formula. No mystery here.

Except it is a mystery as the NFL doesn't release the formula. I know good teams typically lose more players since they have more good players taking up salary space, but I've always felt the awarding of compensatory picks feels a bit fishy. Pats lose Talib but add Revis and Browner and get a 3rd, we lose Byrd but add a couple of bargain guys like Spikes and get nothing.

It has nothing to do with the losing or gaining Revis

Released players don't count towards the formula. Revis was released by the Bucs so he doesn't count.

The Pats signed 2 eligible FA's towards the formula. Those players were Brandon LaFell and Brandon Browner

The Pats lost 3 eligible FA's towards the formula. Brandon Spikes, LaGarrette Blount, and Aqib Talib.

That means the pats had a net gain of -1. They then take the highest rated FA lost and match him up to the appropriate round which is why the Patriots received a 4th rounder.

Except it is a mystery as the NFL doesn't release the formula. I know good teams typically lose more players since they have more good players taking up salary space, but I've always felt the awarding of compensatory picks feels a bit fishy. Pats lose Talib but add Revis and Browner and get a 3rd, we lose Byrd but add a couple of bargain guys like Spikes and get nothing.

you do realize that they release MOST of the process, including 100% of how to calculate who qualifies for picks and how many they qualify for?

the only mystery is the cutoff between rounds, which several sources have been able to pretty accurately estimate based solely on average salary per year. there are people that project this before the nfl releases it with essentially 100% accuracy in the number of picks and VERY close to exact rounds.

It has nothing to do with the losing or gaining Revis

Released players don't count towards the formula. Revis was released by the Bucs so he doesn't count.

The Pats signed 2 eligible FA's towards the formula. Those players were Brandon LaFell and Brandon Browner

The Pats lost 3 eligible FA's towards the formula. Brandon Spikes, LaGarrette Blount, and Aqib Talib.

That means the pats had a net gain of -1. They then take the highest rated FA lost and match him up to the appropriate round which is why the Patriots received a 4th rounder.

its based on the 2014 free agency period - running from opening of free agency through june 1, though theres talk of tightening up that window so teams wont wait til june to sign low level vets (see bills signing legursky). a team with a -1 qualifying for a 3rd or 4th rounder obviously wouldnt want to sign a backup player and bump to a net 0 and be eligible for a max of a 7th rounder.