Which QB wins? Make a case for him to start.

scribo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll play the game...

Cassel

Pros: NFL veteran and former pro bowler, has the experience

Cons: does not have a great arm, is not mobile

EJ

Pros: Big, strong, athletic, hard worker

Cons: accuracy problems and not a great feel for the game

Tyrod

Pros: Super athletic, great runner

Cons: accuracy issues, antsy in the pocket and wants to scramble

I think Cassel will have the advantage early because as a veteran he has studied multiple NFL offenses and he will probably pick up the new playbook the fastest and he will make the safe plays so initially he will look the best.

I think they want EJ to succeed because he is the young, cheap option. So he might get a slight edge if the competition is close, whether they want to admit it or not. He has the second most game experience (only 14 starts) but the least amount of overall NFL experience only being in the league 2 yrs. He needs to improve his accuracy or the receivers will get mad at him pretty fast and he will lose their support.

I think Tyrod is a wildcard. Nobody really knows how well he can play at this point. He looks good in the preseason vs 2nd and 3rd string guys, but how will he look vs the first string? Typically, running QB's aren't as successful in the NFL because the players are faster and they can't scramble the way they did in college and get away with it. If he relies on his legs then he will have issues when he can't escape pass rushers like Jerry Hughes who are just as fast as he is. If he can show he is a pocket passer then he can be considered a legitimate third horse in this race.

Ok point - overall speed in the NFL is better. But, no.

Cassel starts. He's more accurate, can connect on the occasional deep throw and will have 5 receivers that can at anytime take a screen, slant or dump off to the house. EJ just can't set his feet to throw. I am ready to be surprised but not expecting he improves his accuracy. I wasn't very happy when we signed Cassel. But I warmed up to it after seeing all the moves the FO has made and they ain't done yet. My gut says Cassel starts.

Edited by Green Lightning

I don't think Tyrod will get enough reps to showcase his ability and develop. Unless Tyrod just goes off completely in his limited reps I think he is slated as the third string QB. Cassel reminds me of Kyle Orton (In terms of their value to their teams), Cassel is a high level backup low level starter QB. EJ is a semi-reclamation project, former high draft pick, good character, but somewhat flawed/underdeveloped.

I think EJ wins the job. He will get more of an opportunity than Tyrod and I think he has an ability to develop his game under the current system better than the known quantity of Cassel

I think Manuel starts because he is going to beat out Cassel in a fair and honest QB competition in training camp. On this board, I think Manuel has been underrated and Cassel overrated. Both QBs are bottom 10 starting QB material, however Manuel will show he is the slightly better QB with the added plus that he's still developing and will get better. How much better is the big question. As for Taylor, I think that he's going to be the 3rd QB but Roman will have a "wildcat" package for him that they will use on occasion.

That's my prediction. Having said that I don't care if Cassel or Taylor wins the job, just as long as the QB who wins it is looking great and the offense looks like a point scoring force to be reckoned with and not a "don't screw it up" afterthought of past Rex teams.

I just hope for once that one QB stands out and it's not just the case that one wasn't as bad as the others.

Bingo!

Cassel is a better quarterback than Orton. EJ may easily be beaten out by Taylor. They may still keep EJ around on a prayer.

They'd likely have to keep EJ around even if he becomes 3rd string because of where he is in his contract. He'd actually cost more on the cap hit if he were cut. There would be a slight savings if he were traded.

I think the best case scenario is for EJ to step up and win the job.

That's going to have to mean that he irons out the lower body mechanics and gets comfortable throwing his receivers open--he CAN do it physically; he just hasn't trusted himself enough.

Otherwise it's likely to be Cassel, which is uninspiring IMO.

I also use to think EJ winning the job was best for the franchise, but I don't think that would be any better than Taylor winning the job. Both EJ and Tyrod are 25! The Bills have TT under contract longer at a cap-friendly rate.

I don't think Tyrod will get enough reps to showcase his ability and develop. Unless Tyrod just goes off completely in his limited reps I think he is slated as the third string QB. Cassel reminds me of Kyle Orton (In terms of their value to their teams), Cassel is a high level backup low level starter QB. EJ is a semi-reclamation project, former high draft pick, good character, but somewhat flawed/underdeveloped.

I think EJ wins the job. He will get more of an opportunity than Tyrod and I think he has an ability to develop his game under the current system better than the known quantity of Cassel

Why not? Why do you think EJ will get preferential treatment? I doubt Rex cares where anyone was drafted, at this point. Taylor is one of "his" guys now, someone he's talked highly about, tried to trade for in the past and brought in as a free agent now. EJ is a leftover from the past regime. I think they'll give EJ a fair shot, but I won't be surprised if it was EJ who doesn't get enough reps, if anyone.

I rather see Cassel win the job and have the other two compete for the backup job because those two are not yet ready to be the starter. Have Cassel start the season until he hit a wall then put the backup in. I expect Cassel to be effective and will win a lot of games right the way. By the bye week, they will re-evaluate the situation again.

I also use to think EJ winning the job was best for the franchise, but I don't think that would be any better than Taylor winning the job. Both EJ and Tyrod are 25! The Bills have TT under contract longer at a cap-friendly rate.

From an age perspective I completely agree. From an ability perspective, I think EJ offers a higher ceiling given his superior (relative to Taylor) arm strength and size.

I'll play the game...

Cassel

Pros: NFL veteran and former pro bowler, has the experience

Cons: does not have a great arm, is not mobile

EJ

Pros: Big, strong, athletic, hard worker

Cons: accuracy problems and not a great feel for the game

Tyrod

Pros: Super athletic, great runner

Cons: accuracy issues, antsy in the pocket and wants to scramble

I think Cassel will have the advantage early because as a veteran he has studied multiple NFL offenses and he will probably pick up the new playbook the fastest and he will make the safe plays so initially he will look the best.

I think they want EJ to succeed because he is the young, cheap option. So he might get a slight edge if the competition is close, whether they want to admit it or not. He has the second most game experience (only 14 starts) but the least amount of overall NFL experience only being in the league 2 yrs. He needs to improve his accuracy or the receivers will get mad at him pretty fast and he will lose their support.

I think Tyrod is a wildcard. Nobody really knows how well he can play at this point. He looks good in the preseason vs 2nd and 3rd string guys, but how will he look vs the first string? Typically, running QB's aren't as successful in the NFL because the players are faster and they can't scramble the way they did in college and get away with it. If he relies on his legs then he will have issues when he can't escape pass rushers like Jerry Hughes who are just as fast as he is. If he can show he is a pocket passer then he can be considered a legitimate third horse in this race.

I think this is a really good post. My hope is that EJ and Tyrod get the most snaps because I also believe Cassel will pick the playbook up quicker and for the most part the staff knows what he is at this point. I'm not saying he should get significantly less snaps, but really, the staff needs to see what they have in their unknowns. Having watched Tyrod's entire college career live I can say that if his drive to start is as strong as his will to win was at VT he will make the most of his opportunities. I had said it somewhere else, but Tyrod's scrambling habits lie somewhere between Russell Wilson and Tony Romo (more on the Romo end). He always looks to extend plays and that can be great, but sometimes it can be his detriment. That being said, I will not be upset in the slightest if EJ emerges as the best option.

I simply hope it is one of the young guys because it'd be good for the franchise to have a steady solution at the position that is 25 years old instead of constantly bringing in older vets to fill the gap.

I Challenge all EJ na sayers to go and purchase NFL rewind and watch the first 4 games again they only take 30 min each to watch in condensed mode. Then come back here and tell me that you still think EJ is a bad QB. If you watch carefully you will see that much of his bad passes are due to coaching, poor protection or the receivers fault .

Don't just echo what everyone else is saying. Watch it again and make your own judgment. I did and now I have a different opinion now that my heart is not in the game and you can really focus on what he did good and bad.

I Challenge all EJ na sayers to go and purchase NFL rewind and watch the first 4 games again they only take 30 min each to watch in condensed mode. Then come back here and tell me that you still think EJ is a bad QB. If you watch carefully you will see that much of his bad passes are due to coaching, poor protection or the receivers fault .

Don't just echo what everyone else is saying. Watch it again and make your own judgment. I did and now I have a different opinion now that my heart is not in the game and you can really focus on what he did good and bad.

valid attempt. but the naysayers will not change their mind,

and there are other that just won't stop trolling

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

My guess is Cassel (and I think that he is actually a small step down from Orton). it is pretty uninspiring to me at this point.

With that being said, I think that the offense will take steps forward though with improved coaching and skill players. The QB will not be counted on to win games. He will be counted on to not lose them. I think that with Cassel you have a guy that can make adjustments at the LOS, get the ball in his playmaker's hands and move the chains on 3rd down. He is not going to have those games where he steals one with his brilliance but for the most part he can be a caretaker for a talented group.

I think that if the Bills could get an "Alex Smith level" of play from the QB position they could win the Super Bowl.

valid attempt. but the naysayers will not change their mind,

and there are other that just won't stop trolling

Geez man...it's okay for folks to have a different opinion than you.

I've watched all of EJ's games multiple times, and my opinion hasn't changed. He's been good at times, bad at times, and terrible at times. EDIT: he also had 1 VERY good game against the Jets his rookie year, and 3/4 of a VERY good game against Jax that year as well (in which he went 17-20 for 150 yards, 2 passing TDs and 1 rushing TD in the final 3 Qs after starting 0-4 with an INT in the 1st Q). In his 2 poor outings last year, he was rarely on the same page as his receivers, and when he was, he was flat-out missing throws. He also looked timid with his reads. There were at least 3 or 4 times in the Houston game where he could've kept the ball on the zone read and ran for easy first downs; he didn't. In fact he didn't even check the edge defender with that option in mind.

Point being this: I like EJ. I've defended him. I still think he has a chance to be a good QB in this league. I also think it's extremely misguided to blame all of his deficiencies on coaching, the OL, or the WRs/TEs.

That's not nay-saying; that's not trolling.

Edited by thebandit27