the Bills new spread offense attack

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While the personnel and the talent call for a spread look, most of Roman's run plays are big on big (iso, counter, dive, trap). He likes to use the fullback and use motion a lot to try and give the defense different looks. He might start out with a spread look but then motion to a power I. Watch a SF game. They put the power in power running. This is something McCoy isn't known for. He likes to dance in the hole like CJ. Thats one of the reasons why Chip wanted to get rid of him. He wants someone that is going to hit the hole full steam ahead (that's why they went after Gore and then Murray). That's why I'm confused about why the Bills went after McCoy. He has always been a zone read RB. He has never run behind a FB. What makes them think he's going to be successful in Roman's offense? Unless like you say they are going to work out of a spread look and thus abandon his typical power running game. I'll be interested to see how it plays out.

Mccoy ran power at Pitt. He ran with a fullback so it's not he never did that before. He is also a very powerful compared to his size. Looking at him run made me realize why CJ Spiller never lived up to his billing. Talent is as a speed back is more than how fast you can run. Mccoy has a doctorate degree compared to Spiller regarding how to make people miss and reading the hole

great way to start a discussion BiDD!

really like when the knowledge comes out here, and i get to learn something.

Multiples , options .

Cassel is probably the guy who can read and react well. But limits the threat of running out of the QB position.

EJ may not have the ability to read and make the motion/shift/change that Roman wants to have available pre snap.

Which one they choose might dictate the what kind and sequence of plays they can or will use.

Great efforts folks> good stuff for sure :thumbsup:

I hope we're not giving up on this draft as a source of some excellent weapons... McCoy... Charles Clay... Harvin... While inspiring, these pickups are not NEARLY enough offense to deliver Rex's promised "Bully"

I'm hoping we double-down on TE, RB, and WR... Jesse James, Josh Robinson, and Sammie Coates, respectively... I realize we probably don't have a shot at Coates, but the others are attainable... My football phiosophy is simple. -Overkill. We've been the whipping-boy in this division for far too long.

pass on Coates. Hands of stone.

Mccoy ran power at Pitt. He ran with a fullback so it's not he never did that before. He is also a very powerful compared to his size. Looking at him run made me realize why CJ Spiller never lived up to his billing. Talent is as a speed back is more than how fast you can run. Mccoy has a doctorate degree compared to Spiller regarding how to make people miss and reading the hole

That's true. Hopefully he can have the same success in the NFL in that offense

While the personnel and the talent call for a spread look, most of Roman's run plays are big on big (iso, counter, dive, trap). He likes to use the fullback and use motion a lot to try and give the defense different looks. He might start out with a spread look but then motion to a power I. Watch a SF game. They put the power in power running. This is something McCoy isn't known for. He likes to dance in the hole like CJ. Thats one of the reasons why Chip wanted to get rid of him. He wants someone that is going to hit the hole full steam ahead (that's why they went after Gore and then Murray). That's why I'm confused about why the Bills went after McCoy. He has always been a zone read RB. He has never run behind a FB. What makes them think he's going to be successful in Roman's offense? Unless like you say they are going to work out of a spread look and thus abandon his typical power running game. I'll be interested to see how it plays out.

I agree. My 1st thought when I heard about the trade for McCoy was "what happened to ground-and-pound" That is not how McCoy plays. I would've rather that they pursued Murray as a free agent or drafted a big back, which they still can do.

But McCoy is no Frank Gore or Marshawn Lynch.

it's become obvious that Greg Roman is building Rex a spread offense born out of the 'run first' variations he incorporated for Harbaugh while at Frisco. his success in translating A Smith's experience in Urban Meyer's Utah spread option offense into something familiar enough for him to run in the NFL, was critical in Smith's resurgence as an NFL QB. and after taking Smith as far as he could, he then employed the same idea of making another young QB comfortable, when he installed elements of the offense C.Kap had learned running Brian Polian's (yep - Bill's son) Pistol version of the spread option at Nevada.

although i'm not a fan, it's no surprise that Rex was working out B.Petty the other day. Baylor's Art Briles has been running a 'pass first' - Air Raid version of the spread down at Baylor with a lot of success. as a matter of fact, both Briles and West Virginia's Dana Holgorsen have sent recent QBs to the NFL, the latest being WV's G.Smith - when Rex chose him as the Jets QB of the future.

now, there's been a lot of talk about 'ground and pound' around here, and it's no fault of the fans or the team's media for repeating the chant - as that's how Rex has chosen to describe his offensive philosophy. but one shouldn't think of a spread offense running attack as three succesive double TE, FB led, dive plays. the pounding that takes place in a spread run game is usually being done to out-numbered, second level defenders.

this style of offense does have it's fair share of problems in the pros. as Roman and C.Kelly in Philly have discovered - it's difficult to execute many 'run first' spread offense plays in the NFL without the threat of the QB keeping the ball. personally, i believe this is what's kept Meyer out of the NFL - if he can't risk running his QB, then many of his bread and butter run options - whether it's his outside zone, inside zone, or inverted veer - become empty bluffs. Chip Kelly is running into this wall in Philly, just as Roman - to an extent, did in Frisco.

the best Roman can do is to take elements of the spread philosophy - primarily the idea of getting the ball to your most gifted players where there's a number advantage at the point of attack - and implement them to whatever degree of risk he and Rex are willing to take with their QB. the acquisitions of McCoy, Clay and Harvin are a means to this end - giving Roman the ability to design the QB out of the spread offense's numbers game. having more than enough talent to over match your opponent in the run game without incorporating your QB is essential in the pros. he now has the ability to answer a defense willing to put 7 or 8 in the box with a sprinkling of elements taken from a spread Air Raid attack using Watkins, Goodwin, Woods, and Easley or Hogan - along with Harvin.

i am concerned with the lack of athleticism on our O line. much of what can be run without the QB - counter trey, power sweeps - require trap and pull techniques that will challenge our current roster of guards. i'm under the impression that picking up Felton gives Roman an alternative in his blocking schemes, should we go to battle with what we've got. i'm sure there will be a lot of tinkering in camp, and perhaps into the season, before Roman and Cromer can come up with a nice blend of personnel packages that get the job done, without tipping things off.

as far as the QB situation goes, Roman will build an offense that takes as much pressure off the QB position as possible, but this is the NFL., and QBs have to make plays when they present themselves. the fact that neither Cassel, Manuel or Taylor came from collegiate spread offenses puts them all on even footing in that regard - but you can't dismiss what Cassel's years of experience bring - including the fact that his most prolific season was under Belichik in NE, after Belichik and Meyer got chummy, and started swapping strategies. but i'm sure in Cassel's time in the pros, he's seen his fair share of spread concepts in multiple stops. also, and not too surprisingly, considering the proliferation of spread offensive philosphies in college, is the fact that Tuel was coached for a year at Washington State by the man who taught both Briles and Holgorsen the Air Raid spread offense - Mike Leach. that may help Tuel pick up some of it's concepts quickly, but i don't think Roman will install enough of it, that it will be a factor in the QB competition - but you never know.

so i do believe our base O will be what's commonly referred to as spread offense, and that it will definitely try to spread out the front six in those heavy nickle defenses (335/425) being discussed elsewhere - in order to run through them. it will have a 'run first' philosophy with enough weapons to attack however the defense responds. it will also employ some risk by exposing our QBs to limited contact, but only enough to establish the threat of the QB as a runner - to set up some spread option plays.

it should be fun to see how everything comes together.

Nice

ithinkimgoingtostopcapitalizingmywordsandwhattheheckillremoveallspacesfrombetweenwordstooandjustthinkilltryoutallpunctuationalltogetherbecauseitmakesforaneasierread

Out of this very good post, this is your response...smh!

Exhibit A of how the receiver is NOT prepared to hear a message!

Out of this very good post, this is your response...smh!

Exhibit A of how the receiver is NOT prepared to hear a message!

haha .. thanks for having my back, Pimp2 - but Nanker's gotta point, and i meant to respond to his post before this..

my use of punctuation and capitalization is bad and often non-existent.. i should try to clean my act up when posting my lengthier thoughts.. it's all good

I am very interested to see how much the team loads up along the offensive line in the draft. Ground and pound and you have a suspect left guard and a developing RT. If Roman wants this scheme to be successful he knows he needs another piece along the O-line.

I am very interested to see how much the team loads up along the offensive line in the draft. Ground and pound and you have a suspect left guard and a developing RT. If Roman wants this scheme to be successful he knows he needs another piece along the O-line.

I'm still hoping they bring in a veteran to shore up the line. I'd rather that than another year of heavy investment in the O-Line. Baring a a ready-to-start player being there at 50 (possible), I wouldn't be shocked to see them go light in the draft this year along the line. They sunk three picks into the line last year, one turned out to be a steady, if unspectacular, contributor. The other two are still largely unknown. If the new coaches think Cyrus/Richardson/Henderson have talent that can be developed with better/different coaching the front office might not see the urgency we fans do.

I guess we'll see how much the new staff thinks of those three guys based on how they draft.

I believe that Greg Roman is going to tailor his offense around EJ Manuel's strong suit. An offense he's comfortable with. Something like in these highlights.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YYY4aNbE31E

Just plug and play the recent acquisitions into these highlghts

Wow, even though he may have a nice stat line, EJ looked rough in that video.