Looking for your help and input on business idea

plenzmd1

The average American consumer has no idea what is in the cookies and crackers they currently eat but if you told them they were "cricket crackers" they wouldn't touch them. Now, if you said the flour was some unpronounceable word that in scientific terms meant "cricket flour" nobody would be the wiser and they'd happily eat the great tasting healthy food.

We were in Mexico at a small tequila factory. They had a bowl of fried crickets there. They were pretty tasty. So bottom line if you want to sell cricket crackers get your customers drunk first.

I've had deep fried crickets. They were quite good with a cold beer and a margarita.

The average American consumer has no idea what is in the cookies and crackers they currently eat but if you told them they were "cricket crackers" they wouldn't touch them. Now, if you said the flour was some unpronounceable word that in scientific terms meant "cricket flour" nobody would be the wiser and they'd happily eat the great tasting healthy food.

you know, thats a great idea!

They farm them. Just like a worm farm only with a bit more noise.

Do they test the cricket meal for contaminants such a pesticides, micros, or heavy metals prior to use?

yes, all produced in FDA approved facilites

Being that I cannot eat Gluten, I would try them. Really the only good crackers I have found are the Nut thins and Rice Thins. Everything else is crap and too expensive.

I suggest starting out venti at first, see how it does, then you can go grande

and for the record, i would absolutely eat them, never tried insects before, but would not be opposed in the least bit

Long story short, looking at investing in a small business. Figure you all could be my first, smallest, some may dumbest focus group.

Company makes snack crackers, but instead of wheat or rice or any other kind of flour, they use ground up crickets as the base of the cracker. High protein , no gluten, no soy, very low carb. They taste great to me, and they have different flavor like Rosemary Garlic etc. I have no problem eating insects, and eat cricket tacos every month or so. Realize they are not mainstream however.

My thought is with the huge trend towards Paleo, Gluten free, low processed carb high protein diets, this could be a goldmine. Add in the sustainability argument of crickets/insects vs Other forms of protein and traditional farming, and I see insect becoming a bigger and bigger part of the American diet.

that being said, I am prolly just being an idiot. So quick question

Would you eat crackers made from ground up insects? (Assuming great taste)

Is high protein low carb part of your diet trend?

Would the sustainability angle matter at all to you?

Would you pay extra for these vs a Wheat Thin, Triscuit etc?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Edited by The Poojer

Long story short, looking at investing in a small business. Figure you all could be my first, smallest, some may dumbest focus group.

Company makes snack crackers, but instead of wheat or rice or any other kind of flour, they use ground up crickets as the base of the cracker. High protein , no gluten, no soy, very low carb. They taste great to me, and they have different flavor like Rosemary Garlic etc. I have no problem eating insects, and eat cricket tacos every month or so. Realize they are not mainstream however.

My thought is with the huge trend towards Paleo, Gluten free, low processed carb high protein diets, this could be a goldmine. Add in the sustainability argument of crickets/insects vs Other forms of protein and traditional farming, and I see insect becoming a bigger and bigger part of the American diet.

that being said, I am prolly just being an idiot. So quick question

Would you eat crackers made from ground up insects? (Assuming great taste)

Is high protein low carb part of your diet trend?

Would the sustainability angle matter at all to you?

Would you pay extra for these vs a Wheat Thin, Triscuit etc?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Its a niche market. I know people that would do this but admittedly I hang out with nature nerds from time to time and some of them would probably jump on it. Me personally, I wouldn't be one of the first to buy it, I may eventually if enough people persuaded me however.

The sustainability stuff is cool and something I'm always interested in. But its a tough market to be in. Its growing but like others have said, you are selling to to trader joes and thats it

• 2 months later...

I'm just a b flat Midwesterner but that sounds horrible to me. I eat healthy overall, but am not into anything like gluten free, paleo or high protein diets. So I guess I wouldn't be the target consumer. But just my two cents since you asked!

Are we making crackers yet ?

I did not invest Mead. But this is a cool article, and I believe that is the guy who was on the Shark Tank clip posted earlier.

We will all be eating insects within 5 years. If I could figure out a way to preserve fried crickets naturally, they would sell like crazy as an alternative to chips.

I was diagnosed as Celiac in 2001. So I'm Gluten Free, not by choice, but by necessity. No Beer, Bread, Pasta, etc. (no wheat, oats, barley or rye)

I spend a lot of time reading the fine print (ingredients), and quite honestly, the contents in your proposed product would immediately put me off! I wouldn't even be tempted to try it. Anything with insects, seaweed etc.I avoid, and I don't care how "good" it will be for me.

Gluten Free products have come a long way since 2001. If you decide to do this, plan on doing business in California, they will eat anything! WNY, not too much! If you go the California route, try to get Costco etc. to carry the product. Your margins will be low, so hopefully you'll make it up on volume.

No matter what, best of luck!

I did not invest Mead. But this is a cool article, and I believe that is the guy who was on the Shark Tank clip posted earlier.

We will all be eating insects within 5 years. If I could figure out a way to preserve fried crickets naturally, they would sell like crazy as an alternative to chips.

I'll take that bet. I sure as heck won't be. Maybe more people will than today, but it most definitely will not be mainstream.