Any other ex-smokers out there?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It happens. I think for me after a year it was pretty rare, but even now (after about 5 years) I'll have random cravings. I very rarely drink, but every time I do I want a smoke. Outside of drinking, the cravings are completely random but they're usually gone after as soon as I start focusing on something else.

It'll be 3 years for me in May.

I still crave them at least once/week. Once in a while, I give in, but it never brings me close to being "a smoker," again.

I'm not encouraging giving in. Just like quitting is personal, I think keeping on the wagon is personal, too.

Either way, I believe the occasional cravings will last forever.

no, its not unusual. You just have to realize that no matter what you tell yourself, one will get you right back to square one (at least its like that with most people)

I have Vaping stuff that I hold onto for situations where I would normally "need" a cig. Such as tailgating, camping, road trips, etc

I haven't had a cigarette in over a year and i STILL have the jones for them. Like now, man. I'd kill a man for a cigarette. Is this unusual?

it's typical / usual. "addicts" usually crave what they were addicted to ....

Are you doing anything in particular or lets say idle and bored? out for drinks at lunch?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I haven't had a cigarette in over a year and i STILL have the jones for them. Like now, man. I'd kill a man for a cigarette. Is this unusual?

No.

I knew a guy @ work that just retired. A few years back I found out that he smoked like a human chimney... 4-5 packs a day. I knew him @ work for the last 20 years and never seen him smoke. He quit well before I got there. You know what he said to me?

"I crave them everyday... Especially after a meal. If I took one puff, I'd go back to smoking 5 packs a day."

I was like wow! You gave them up in the 1980's! Crazy what addiction can do to some people!

Hang in there.

Oh... And his vascular health was a wreck! Had numerous bypasses etc... Thank God he gave them up or he would have been a goner...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I quit about 30 years ago. Still smoked casually. Things like drinking or stress brought it on. I quit completely 15 years ago but would have a couple a year usually when I was back east without the wife and drinking. Now I have no desire even under that scenario. They suck big time!!

No. It has been 5 years for me. I only have the urge about 3 to 4 times a year now. I was the same after the first year. As time goes by it gets better. Good Luck

I haven't smoked in a few years, and would love to have one at times.

Then I walk past someone smoking and try to figure out how I went so many years of my life smelling like schitt.

That said, wifey and I make Vegas weekend trips, and I'll light up at the tables because it's the only way I know to gamble. Fortunately, I dump what's left when we get home and simply look forward to the next trip.

Depends on who you plan on killing.....

I quit in August, I will have one once ina while (maybe once a month) but I crave every day.

it's typical / usual. "addicts" usually crave what they were addicted to ....

Are you doing anything in particular or lets say idle and bored? out for drinks at lunch?

Well i'm bored as hell today at work, all the project work is done and no service calls. Boredom's a big one for me.

ding ding ding

That is when I feel the need to smoke. When I am bored and or super stressed out.

I'm so glad I have zero desire anymore.

I'm not gonna do it, too bloody expensive. Just trying to figure out how to get rid of the homocidal feeling without lighting up. :P

Well then sounds like you're just going to have to kill someone.

Well i'm bored as hell today at work, all the project work is done and no service calls. Boredom's a big one for me.

Well, post here instead... Just don't get fat and lazy... :-O Smoking does keep people trim and from stuffing food in their mouth... ;-)

I'm not gonna do it, too bloody expensive. Just trying to figure out how to get rid of the homocidal feeling without lighting up. :P

Have you visited PPP yet today? I suppose the rodeo is in full swing... ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Depends on who you plan on killing.....

I quit in August, I will have one once ina while (maybe once a month) but I crave every day.

Crave everyday because you still smoke every once in a while would be my guess.

May 08 2008 was my quit day. Still have cravings every once in a great while.But have not had any nicotine in my body since that day.

My worst is every once in a blue moon i have a dream where i have a few smokes at a party or golfing etc that gets me smoking full time again...i wake up pissed till that split instant when i realize was a dream...so i must still subconsciously crave them.