Stevie Johnson signs with Chargers

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@SBNationNFL: Shawne Merriman explains what it's like to play wtih Stevie Johnson http://t.co/n5yMVN8Wbzhttp://t.co/TUAvxwLDKg

Nice read, thanks! Yep, that's the key to Stevie - he's a "beat your man, run to the spot" guy and Marrone had no use for him because he was a "run this route on this timing" coach.

Stevie plays the position like a basketball player....he goes where they ain't.....or if they are defending an "inside technique" he takes it outside. Thats what he and Fitz did, and it makes a lot of sense. But, inexperienced QB's without a serious head for the game (recall Fitz had a near world record Wunderlich test result and was a Harvard grad) can't handle doing a read like that for the Wr's. So, with the right QB, Stevie is all world. This technique is why Revis had such trouble with him, he always ran against the manner/techniqu that Revis was using. Revis gripe was that Stevie had more freedom than any Wr in the league. Indeed, he did, and that was a lot of what made up those three 1000 yd seasons. So, making it up as he goes is his strength, and yes, he isn't great with non cerebral QB's. Hope for his sake that Rivers can deal with this talent and curse. Makes me wonder why more receivers don't use this method.....

It has to do with the fundamental style of offense the team is running WCO vs Erhardt- Perkins

What do the Chargers run?

Nice read, thanks! Yep, that's the key to Stevie - he's a "beat your man, run to the spot" guy and Marrone had no use for him because he was a "run this route on this timing" coach.

It has to do with the fundamental style of offense the team is running WCO vs Erhardt- Perkins

What do the Chargers run?

Pretty much sums up what I was thinking. The reason he was so good with Fitz was Fitz was able to figure out what he was planning to do. When you are running "backyard football" routes it's hard to figure out when he is going to be where. Having to depend on 1 player being where he needed to be when he's not running timing routes and the other WR's are causes a headache for most QB's.

@RapSheet: The #Chargers will pay WR Stevie Johnson $10.5M over three years, source said. He can get to $12M. Hell be a big part of their offense.

Good for Stevie. I am glad we traded him when we did and for what we got. But, that is quite a bit of money for a WR who may not make the roster? That amount of money suggests he does this year at least and plays in their top 4 WRs.

Pretty much sums up what I was thinking. The reason he was so good with Fitz was Fitz was able to figure out what he was planning to do. When you are running "backyard football" routes it's hard to figure out when he is going to be where. Having to depend on 1 player being where he needed to be when he's not running timing routes and the other WR's are causes a headache for most QB's.

Except E-P offense isn't exactly "backyard football"? But Marrone was a WCO guy.

It seemed to me odd that Stevie was in SF last year for it did not appear he and K was a match. Will see if Rivers is a match.

But is K the cerebral QB who can figure out Stevie's unorthodox route running? I doubt it. I also don't think the SF coaches knew the best way to use Stevie either. "My way or the highway"

But is K the cerebral QB who can figure out Stevie's unorthodox route running? I doubt it. I also don't think the SF coaches knew the best way to use Stevie either. "My way or the highway"

i honestly don't know why they traded a 4th for him. He didn't seem like a fit with Kap, and he made a lot of money. Edited by YoloinOhio

Remember he and Fitz spent a LOT of time together during off season and his career appeared to ascend when Fitzpatrick took over.

He and Fitz both supported each other in contract negotiations and if Bills had not offered too much both may have stayed and probably made more long term. Sometimes the big contracts ruin it for players for they can not sustain what is needed to reach end of it.

i honestly don't know why they traded a 4th for him. He didn't seem like a fit with Kap, and he made a lot of money.

I think they had a few dozen 4ths to spare.

I kid, but seriously, they practically doubled their drafts the last two years.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=4500&type=team (Those were the picks they didn't trade away i.e. Stevie)

Edited by What a Tuel