Chris Borland retiring after rookie season with SF

frogger

i just googled it and it looks like his dad owns the investment group so they must be of at least upper middle class if not wealthy. i'm sure there will be a job waiting for Chris in the finance world when he is ready

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, no different then it has been. Guys stop playing all the time, don't know why people are reporting it now... Oh wait I do b.c news is garbage anymore.

Edited by Beef Jerky

A lot of young guys all along have voluntarily quit playing in college and the NFL due to fears of their health down the road?

Huh, news to me.

This kid from Vandy was injured most of the season (his knee actually), was never going to play pro and is able to enter his chosen career starting with medical school instead? Yeah, there have been a ton of guys just like him lately...

i just googled it and it looks like his dad owns the investment group so they must be of at least upper middle class if not wealthy. i'm sure there will be a job waiting for Chris in the finance world when he is ready

This. He's got options and rather would not take the risk. Doesn't apply for a lot of players though, so it shouldn't become a trend. Maybe good players will make a pile and retire earlier than you'd think, but even then I doubt it would be that many.

He must be pretty convinced. I read that he would owe significant money back to SF from his signing bonus. After 1 year in the league, I'm sure he's not sitting on a pile of cash. Even if he banked it all,

the IRS got a bunch of it. I wonder how he'll afford the payment back to the 49ers. That was the big deal with Ricky Williams' un-retirement, IIRC. Miami went after his signing bonus.

This fact underscores the concern even further, I'm sure he knew in advance that he'd have to pay it back. What kind of message does it send now that two players turned down this level of money for longevity the NFL can't provide. Goddell's got to be shitting bricks about now.

This fact underscores the concern even further, I'm sure he knew in advance that he'd have to pay it back. What kind of message does it send now that two players turned down this level of money for longevity the NFL can't provide. Goddell's got to be shitting bricks about now.

Yeah I bet he's scared silly. Two players! The NFL's over! Done!

It almost angers me knows he took a job from someone that actually wanted it. Make your decisions before you leave college, don't ruin another guys chances of being picked in at spot then just abruptly leave.

Why would that anger you? Would you be angry at a guy who took a competitive job as a car salesman from someone else, decided he didn't like it and quit? Or a model? Or a movie star?

How is football different? And isn't his job available now? This goes on in every job in the world ... the best qualified win the jobs, and some of them keep going and others move along. It's how the world works.

Yea, make your decision before you enter the NFL. Give another player a chance to be drafted sooner.

Any idea how many times the average changes careers in their lives?

It ain't zero.

Edited by Thurman#1

I don't care as much about what adults do as what kids do. IF you're an adult and want to bash your head on a brick wall and get paid to do it, have at.

Youth football is the bigger worry. Concussions are bad but even lots of small blows are thought to lead to CTE. Kids should not be playing football and it's good that parents are finally getting that.

This, from a football lover. I don't know what the sport will looks like in 30 years but odds are it will be a lot different.

Nope, no different then it has been. Guys stop playing all the time, don't know why people are reporting it now... Oh wait I do b.c news is garbage anymore.

Guys have retired because of knee injuries all the time, mostly because they physically can't come back.

This concussion thing is new. When they didn't know about the effects of concussions, nobody retired because of this as long as the symptoms went away.

Edited by Thurman#1

This is quite an interesting idea. Rookie contract, don't take a signing bonus that would need to be paid back, quit, return as FA.

My understanding is that before you sign a contract you can indeed wait a year and get drafted again.

But once you sign a contract, everything changes. If you sign a contract and retire, that team still has your rights for the length of the contract if you come back. I remember Lance Briggs taking a year off, and though he didn't retire, his rights were still owned by the Bears.

Ricky Williams had to go back to the Dolphins after he retired and played in Canada, correct?

Am I wrong? Anyone?

Edited by Thurman#1

I originally wanted the Bills to draft Borland too. Another example of why I trust Whaley.

Why don't they put the padding on the helmets (I thought it was Kelso) like some players have done?

I trust him as well, but I doubt he had any idea Borland would retire after his rookie season. Again, the concussion last year scared him because it hadn't happened in awhile, and he's got options.

I originally wanted the Bills to draft Borland too. Another example of why I trust Whaley.

Why don't they put the padding on the helmets (I thought it was Kelso) like some players have done?

Because it isn't effective. There is all kinds of research being done to try and come up with a helmet that it safe. But the problem generally isn't the external object hitting the head causing the concussion. It is the brain hitting the inside of the head due to the sudden and quick stop caused by the hit. And that is difficult, if not impossible, to solve simply with a helmet.

Edited by CodeMonkey