Thoughts outside the box: Move Hogan to CB

Normally I am totally against suggestions and moves like this. But if we could somehow channel Hogan's insistence and determination to be stopped a yard short or go OB a yard short of the first down, he could make an all pro nickel or dime back.

I struggle to get the hate on Hogan. Is this because he is clearly a better NFL player than Da'Rick? Because Hogan is the one player who improved under major. He has more than earned a role in the NFL. Good for him. Don't hate, congratulate.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I struggle to get the hate on Hogan. Is this because he is clearly a better NFL player than Da'Rick? Because Hogan is the one player who improved under major. He has more than earned a role in the NFL. Good for him. Don't hate, congratulate.

I don't hate him. I agree he has gotten substantially better. I have never, I don't think, compared him to Da'Rick. I just don't think he is very good. I think he has a ceiling. He was sooooo frustrating to me last year when he wouldn't know where the first down marker was. The guys I watch the games with and I would go nuts over that. I think Goodwin is a much better player. If we keep six I think Hogan should be there. If we keep five I think it should be Goodwin over Hogan and then keep a couple of the promising other guys like Holley and Lewis on the PS in case Goodwin gets hurt.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Is the OP really serious about this?? Hogan is just not fast enough nor quick enough to change direction the way that an NFL CB is required to do to stay with his man.

Hogan is in the NFL because he is big and strong and athletic, but he's just not quick enough to mirror NFL WRs. He would get torched and the HC who put him at CB would be fired.

Not that I agree with moving Hogan to CB, but using his speed or agility as a reason not to is just wrong.

Richard Sherman 40 yard dash: 4.53, 3-cone: 6.72

Chris Hogan: 4.50 and 6.75

He also had a slightly better 10 yard dash and 20 yard shuttle.

This same discussion has come up for Marcus Easley as well, but the numbers show that Easley really does have agility and fluidity problems that would keep him from being a good CB. 4.6 in the shuttle and 6.94 in the cone drill. He's just slightly quicker than Hogan and Sherman.

I'd have no problems with Hogan taking reps on defense as well as offense but I think safety is a more likely position. He is definitely physical and best blocking WR we have from last year, I have not seen all of the rookies and others other than Harvin blocking.

But just to repeat, the link has nothing to do with Hogan just The Real Buffalo Joe in his Easter clothes and he could not find any other more appropriate thread to post in, say PPP.

Don't drink the Koolaid. The link is an hour long interview Rex Ryan had with Buffalo sports talk icons Mike Schopp and The Bulldog. Five minutes talking about football, fifteen about Wimbledon, then fourty minutes of amusing banter between the three about how they like the toilet paper roll hanging compared to their wives' preferences.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

Have we seen any evidence that Hogan knows how to tackle? I still like him as a receiver, despite the crowd.

He plays ST. I think he has been credited with some tackles. None come to mind though. Woods had a memorable one. Edited by YoloinOhio

I think we should try moving Dareus to CB. He's our best defensive lineman and think what he could do when he bumps a receiver at the line. It's so brilliant I get why they didn't think about it before now.

In short, Why? The Bills don't have depth problems at CB. Why take away reps from...ya know..actual CBs.

Chris Hogan is sneaky fast, good footwork, above average vertical leap, has shifty hips and has the ability to go up and get the ball. His agility and knack for finding the ball in a crowd is uncanny.

With that said, we are wasting his talents as a WR. In the mold of the Seahawks and now the Jets we need a tall kid at CB and one who isn't afraid to turn, extend and deflect/catch the ball.

There is no reason why a talented kid like Hogan should be relegated to 4th WR. He can serve a purpose and that position is CB. Trust me...I know.

Are the Buffalo Bandits still in ton?

This would be the best move for Hogan.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Chris Hogan is sneaky fast, good footwork, above average vertical leap, has shifty hips and has the ability to go up and get the ball. His agility and knack for finding the ball in a crowd is uncanny.

With that said, we are wasting his talents as a WR. In the mold of the Seahawks and now the Jets we need a tall kid at CB and one who isn't afraid to turn, extend and deflect/catch the ball.

There is no reason why a talented kid like Hogan should be relegated to 4th WR. He can serve a purpose and that position is CB. Trust me...I know.

geez, that is outside the room the box is in.... I like him right where he is. Goodwin can't stay on the field physically, and we don't know if Harvin can stay on the field physically or mentally, so Hogan could very easily be your #3 or better WR by mid season. Lets all calm down now... everyone always assumes your final 54 make it through the season

6'1" 220 lbs. guy who runs a 4.5 40 who reps 275 lbs and made the NFL after a year of college football. What a scrub this Hogan guy is.

And Benoit Benjamin got drafted over Michael Jordan. Big deal.

I'm not saying Hogan doesn't work hard. He just isn't that good at football. Our own head coach said he'd be a great lacrosse player. One Buffalo.