The dangers of our new normal...

They found that while many senior intelligence officials believe the programme filled a gap by increasing access to international communications, others, including FBI agents, CIA analysts and managers, “had difficulty evaluating the precise contribution of the PSP to counterterrorism efforts because it was most often viewed as one source among many available analytic and intelligence-gathering tools in these efforts”.

Critics of the phone records programme, which allows the NSA to hunt for communications between terrorists abroad and US residents, argue it has not proven to be an effective counterterrorism tool. They also say an intelligence agency has no business possessing the deeply personal records of Americans. Many favour a system under which the NSA can obtain court orders to query records held by the phone companies.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/25/nsa-surveillance-report-white-house-releases-six-years-later

What I'm enjoying is watching Gator defend such a right-wing position as domestic surveillance. Raging lefties should be vehemently against such intrusions into personal privacy by the state, not defending it. Despite the endless entertainment his insipid contributions provide, the real laugh I'm getting out of all this is that he's completely willing to sell out his own supposed 'values' just to argue, which makes this just about the funniest thread in PPP history. :lol:

I love it when a complete idiot explains what other people should be for or against. Thanks again for beginning to post your thoughts. Seems like you are afraid to most times as they demonstrate how limited you are

What the?!? So the Constitution is meaningless to you? I see why you worship Obama so much.

You guys are being so stupid, if a person is waging war against you don't go get an amendment passed, you shoot back! Duh!

Lincoln didn't try every rebel soldier before he killed them, he just killed them! Duh!

I love it when a complete idiot explains what other people should be for or against. Thanks again for beginning to post your thoughts. Seems like you are afraid to most times as they demonstrate how limited you are

Your insults are pathetic. I deserve better than a poorly worded DC Tomism. Do you own a dictionary? They're available online, you know.

Everyone here knows that if this was a republican administration, you'd be going berserk over the surveillance activity that's going on, so that makes all of your arguments even more ridiculous. The only thing I fear in all this is that one day you'll wake up and realize that there's more to debate than just glibly tossing out a bunch of crap that makes no sense.

So please, feel free to continue. I'll continue to laugh at you. :beer:

Your insults are pathetic. I deserve better than a poorly worded DC Tomism. Do you own a dictionary? They're available online, you know.

Everyone here knows that if this was a republican administration, you'd be going berserk over the surveillance activity that's going on, so that makes all of your arguments even more ridiculous. The only thing I fear in all this is that one day you'll wake up and realize that there's more to debate than just glibly tossing out a bunch of crap that makes no sense.

So please, feel free to continue. I'll continue to laugh at you. :beer:

Yes, everyone knows what I'd think...

You are a complete idiot.

Yes, everyone knows what I'd think...

You are a complete idiot.

Seriously, is that the best you can do?

He's got you there, Azalin. Not even God can figure out what gatorman thinks.

Are you suggesting that he actually thinks?

You guys are being so stupid, if a person is waging war against you don't go get an amendment passed, you shoot back! Duh!

Lincoln didn't try every rebel soldier before he killed them, he just killed them! Duh!

So once again you have no problem with this administration not following the Constitution?

And we're the Rebels citizens?

Edited by Chef Jim

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/senate-leaders-propose-extending-nsa-phone-records-storage-30498464

Wow! Such a balanced article. All hysterical screamers get their point in but the Establishment Republicans move to pass. There are people defending the program, why not include them in this debate we are suppose to be having?

So once again you have no problem with this administration not following the Constitution?

And we're the Rebels citizens?

Yes they were

Only in the same sense that a Magic 8-Ball "thinks."

Oh gees, you and your mindless little suck a long Cassidy are pathetic. Take him out for ice cream or something, will ya. He'd love it! Avaiisa really thinks you are awesome, you know that, right?

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/senate-leaders-propose-extending-nsa-phone-records-storage-30498464

Wow! Such a balanced article. All hysterical screamers get their point in but the Establishment Republicans move to pass. There are people defending the program, why not include them in this debate we are suppose to be having?

The article states in no uncertain terms that they are trying to bypass commmittees and shove the renewal down the American public's throat without the public, or opposing legislators, getting to voice their opposition. Or, to put it another way, they are bypassing the very system of checks and balances you claimed many times in this thread are there to protect us from government overreach.

So, for the record, you Gatorman (hater of anything right wing and believer in the infallibility of our "checks and balances and the freedom given to us by the Internet) are now supporting a group of largely right wing senators and lawmakers who want to take the voter's wishes out of the equation before renewing the data collection program.

In other words, you have no idea what the article you posted really means because you are a moron. Or, you're a complete hypocrite with no understanding of the topic at hand. It's one or the other now based on the article you linked.

The Ferguson shooting was done without due process

You're an idiot.

The movement around Internet privacy and security in Brazil grew dramatically in 2013 in the wake of Snowden’s leaks involving NSA spying on Brazilian oil giant Petrobras and government officials, including Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff. The story and its repercussions reverberated in Brazilian media for months. Gustavo Gus, a 28-year-old organizer of the CryptoRave festival, credits the Snowden leaks with laying the foundation for the cryptology movement in Brazil.

“If a diplomatic agreement between Brazil and the United State didn’t stop the surveillance of these powerful figures, what would happen with a common citizen? That’s what really touched the people,” Gus says.

Privacy isn't dead in Brazil... yet.

http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-04-25/edward-snowden-s-south-american-legacy-grows-brazil-s-crypto-movement-marches

Edited by GreggyT

The article states in no uncertain terms that they are trying to bypass commmittees and shove the renewal down the American public's throat without the public, or opposing legislators, getting to voice their opposition. Or, to put it another way, they are bypassing the very system of checks and balances you claimed many times in this thread are there to protect us from government overreach.

So, for the record, you Gatorman (hater of anything right wing and believer in the infallibility of our "checks and balances and the freedom given to us by the Internet) are now supporting a group of largely right wing senators and lawmakers who want to take the voter's wishes out of the equation before renewing the data collection program.

In other words, you have no idea what the article you posted really means because you are a moron. Or, you're a complete hypocrite with no understanding of the topic at hand. It's one or the other now based on the article you linked.

You're an idiot.

Greg, why does it have to be one or the other? It could be both.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/23/nsa-barack-obama-phone-data-collection-illegal-privacy-board

Interesting. Executive branches review board votes 3-2 to stop looking for terrorists and terrorist links in domestic calls. Fortuently Obama has too much sense to listen to them

You're an idiot.

ha ha! Did I say something about hysterical people! I'm pretty sure Greg I commented about the lack of balance in reporting on the usefulness of the program. I'm allowed to do that you know. Grab a bag and breath in it

They are trying to bring up a bill for both house of congress to vote on you waste of time. That's not bypassing checks and balances. Do you even know what checks and balances is?

You are so funny. Your hysterical responses and emotional thinking don't help your cause. Remember this next time you have the gall to tell me I don't understand the issue.

Even Eric Holder disagrees with this. But then again, you've never been one to question what you're told to copy/paste.

What?

They are trying to bring up a bill for both house of congress to vote on you waste of time. That's not bypassing checks and balances. Do you even know what checks and balances is?

You don't even know how to read your own sources.

"The measure by Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and intelligence committee Chairman Richard Burr would bypass Senate committees and reauthorize sections of the Patriot Act, including the provision under which the NSA is requiring phone companies to turn over the "to and from" records of most domestic landline calls."