Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

• Yes
    • No
    • They will actually sign Clay Charles and he's a baller
    • Perhaps. I need to ask Pat Moran.
  2. 2. When will they sign him?

• 5 days from today
    • 5 days from tomorrow
    • When he is a FA again in 2019
    • NEVER. Big Sammy will start at TE and we will like it.
    • 5 days from "soon"

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would the Bills force him here? He is free to sign anywhere, including signing the 1 yr transition tag with Miami at anytime. If he doesn't want to be in Buffalo then he won't sign a contract to play in Buffalo. It's not complicated.

If Clay prefers to play for Miami just leave him alone . its not complicated.

Looks like the Mike Wallace trade just finished off the Bills chances in the Clay-mation Derby.

He seems like a good player, but 7 million dollars for a TE like that?! Yeesh.

i think they have been trying to get rid of Wallace ever since he quit on the team last season and has that ridiculous contract. The acquisition of Stills allowed them to make the the move. But it was reported that because of bonus acceleration, the Wallace trade only saved $2.2M on this year's cap. Not even 1/3 of Clay. I think the move was more to help them sign some tier 2 or 3 FAs and their draft picks. They could still extend Clay if he is committed to staying and will take a discount but my guess he could get a lot more from another team.

If Clay prefers to play for Miami just leave him alone . its not complicated.

It is though because you have an opportunity to manipulate Miami's cap. If he picks Miami you want it to be accompanied by terms that are not favorable to them. You have a chance to hurt a division rival whether you land Clay or not.

i think they have been trying to get rid of Wallace ever since he quit on the team last season and has that ridiculous contract. The acquisition of Stills allowed them to make the the move. But it was reported that because of bonus acceleration, the Wallace trade only saved $2.2M on this year's cap. Not even 1/3 of Clay. I think the move was more to help them sign some tier 2 or 3 FAs and their draft picks. They could still extend Clay if he is committed to staying and will take a discount but my guess he could get a lot more from another team.

I have no idea how Miami is getting teams to take these ridiculous contracts off their hands like Wallace and Ellerbe...

This has to be the most impressive thing in the off-season to me...talk about hocus pocus

But Clay is already accounted for this year with the transition tag. If anything a long term contract will give them more cap space and if they do not match the get 7+M cap space back.

But Clay is already accounted for this year with the transition tag. If anything a long term contract will give them more cap space and if they do not match the get 7+M cap space back.

Is he? He hasnt signed it yet

Another reason they may be trying to extend him is to trade him later.

This is what I think. The Browns seem really interested. Could probably sign him and then trade him for a pick. That keeps him away from us too

they have a ton of players left they need to sign. They only have maybe 40 under contract. He may be accounted for but he's one guy.

This is what I think. The Browns seem really interested. Could probably sign him and then trade him for a pick. That keeps him away from us too

it makes a lot of sense. The Browns are desperate and have a very hard time attracting FAs to sign with them, especially pass catchers with their QB situation. The only way they can get the top tier guys is to trade, and they have the draft picks and cap space to make it happen.

I'm ready for the Nick O'Leary era at TE for the Bills.

Waiting and wondering about Clay is getting t me too.

i think he would be a great fit for the H-back role.

It is though because you have an opportunity to manipulate Miami's cap. If he picks Miami you want it to be accompanied by terms that are not favorable to them. You have a chance to hurt a division rival whether you land Clay or not.

If it hurts Miami's cap and he wants to stay there , that's good.

If it hurts Miami's cap and he wants to stay there , that's good.

I would imagine that's what the Bills are trying to do. They want to get him, but if they don't they want the consolation to be crippling Miami's cap space. If they can get him to sign their offer sheet they will have accomplished at least the latter. Edited by Kirby Jackson