Tyrod Taylor visiting the Bills--edit signed per Rex

i agree that he was a very exciting college QB, but unlike college - breaking the pocket to extend plays isn't an offensive design - it's the last recourse of a QB who - for whatever reason - is incapable of executing the play as designed.

NFL pocket QBs usually need to make their reads, get through their progressions, and distribute the ball to one of several intended receivers within 4 seconds. i don't think this is Tyrod's 'game'.

he looks like he'd have success running some 'play option pass' that Roman could hang off a 'read option' run.. that would be a nice 'change of pace' package, but i don't think you can survive a season running that and QB draws as a base O in the pros. i doubt he was drafted to be developed as a pocket passer - remember, 2011 was the height of the 'read option' craze in the NFL - so the Ravens, like a lot of teams, got a guy to complement their traditional pocket passer.. i really doubt they ever planned on putting a big effort into developing a talented 6' tuck and run playmaker into an every down QB - but i have no idea.. does anybody?

i wish Taylor success. obviously Roman is on board with this, so we'll see what they have in store.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep hearing this guy is run first. Its not true this guy is special

Flaco was in his way but not any more

i get it.. he makes plays by extending them.. but i think most coaches would prefer he hit the open receiver running across the 6 yard line at the :36 mark.

he was under no pressure, but appeared to limit himself to one read before breaking to his left.. why? maybe he needs to create passing lanes for himself.

Why is it that you think he can't take a snap from under center go back and read the Defense and then go through his progressions.

A lot of video I see on him in college has the pocket breaking down on him, just like what happens with Russell Wilson in Seattle.

I don't hear any one complaining when Wilson's pocket breaks down and he moves around and gives him self

more time to throw down the field. I don't know about you but I want a QB to be able to move if the pocket

brakes down. I don't see how this is bad. If anything it shows he never gives up on throwing it down

the field and finding a open receiver. I see a QB that is looking to throw first and has extreme athletic ability.

I'm willing to bet if you give him time to throw like Brady and Manning he could take the snap from under

center, do his drop and progress through his reads and make a good throw. I saw many times

in his college videos where he was taking snaps from under center. You don't think he learned

anything from the Ravens coaching staff like Kubiak and Flaco. if you listen to taylor talk he gets what

needs to be done to play QB in the NFL. He just has not had the chance to do it. He does have

4 years where he matured and learned his craft on how to be a NFL Qb and a leader from one of the best

orginaztions in the NFL the Ravens. Just think we now have a Qb that has a Superbowl ring

how many teams have that. I for one am all in on this guy. I know what slow eye E.J. can do and

Matt Castle. This guy is the total package for Roman's Offense and Rex Ryan Knows it.

In a few years from now you will look back on this thread and realize I was right.

You just don't know it yet but the Buffalo Bills just signed the best Free Agent in this years crop.

Edited by billsareback

Why is it that you think he can't take a snap from under center go back and read the Defense and then go through his progressions.

A lot of video I see on him in college has the pocket breaking down on him, just like what happens with Russell Wilson in Seattle.

I don't hear any one complaining when Wilson's pocket breaks down and he moves around and gives him self

more time to throw down the field. I don't know about you but I want a QB to be able to move if the pocket

brakes down. I don't see how this is bad. If anything it shows he never gives up on throwing it down

the field and finding a open receiver. I see a QB that is looking to throw first and has extreme athletic ability.

I'm willing to bet if you give him time to throw like Brady and Manning he could take the snap from under

center, do his drop and progress through his reads and make a good throw. I saw many times

in his college videos where he was taking snaps from under center. You don't think he learned

anything from the Ravens coaching staff like Kubiak and Flaco. if you listen to taylor talk he gets what

needs to be done to play QB in the NFL. He just has not had the chance to do it. He does have

4 years where he matured and learned his craft on how to be a NFL Qb and a leader from one of the best

orginaztions in the NFL the Ravens. Just think we now have a Qb that has a Superbowl ring

how many teams have that. I for one am all in on this guy. I know what slow eye E.J. can do and

Matt Castle. This guy is the total package for Roman's Offense and Rex Ryan Knows it.

In a few years from now you will look back on this thread and realize I was right.

You just don't know it yet but the Buffalo Bills just signed the best Free Agent in this years crop.

i don't see it your way, but i sure love your enthusiasm over the guy..

and the fact that we got him means our professional coaches are more inclined to agree with you, than me. ;)

i agree that he was a very exciting college QB, but unlike college - breaking the pocket to extend plays isn't an offensive design - it's the last recourse of a QB who - for whatever reason - is incapable of executing the play as designed.

NFL pocket QBs usually need to make their reads, get through their progressions, and distribute the ball to one of several intended receivers within 4 seconds. i don't think this is Tyrod's 'game'.

he looks like he'd have success running some 'play option pass' that Roman could hang off a 'read option' run.. that would be a nice 'change of pace' package, but i don't think you can survive a season running that and QB draws as a base O in the pros. i doubt he was drafted to be developed as a pocket passer - remember, 2011 was the height of the 'read option' craze in the NFL - so the Ravens, like a lot of teams, got a guy to complement their traditional pocket passer.. i really doubt they ever planned on putting a big effort into developing a talented 6' tuck and run playmaker into an every down QB - but i have no idea.. does anybody?

i wish Taylor success. obviously Roman is on board with this, so we'll see what they have in store.

So the scouting scoop on him from college seemed to be he developed more and more as a passing QB through his years

His college stats tell the same story...he went from 54% completion and 927 yds passing his freshman year, to 56% and 2311 yds his junior year, to 60% and 2743 yds passing as a senior.

From a scouting report:

"Taylor has really come a long way and has given people a lot of pause when watching tape because at first glance you think “wow, he isn’t a running quarterback anymore, he’s a passer first.” While that may be true, he still has some tendencies of a running quarterback and they hinder him as a prototypical drop-back passing prospect. He doesn’t have great anticipation on his throws, his accuracy is inconsistent and his pocket poise leaves something to be desired because he regularly leaves the pocket prematurely when he senses pressure. However, I definitely think Taylor has talent that is worth developing at QB in the NFL and I think he will at least get a shot to stick as a #3 developmental guy on a NFL roster. He has great arm strength, his accuracy has improved steadily every year at Virginia Tech and his athletic ability makes him an intriguing talent at the position."

I'd just like to point out that if presented the bolded part as something written about EJ prior to the draft, I don't think anyone here would question it. EJ Manuel had higher completion numbers in college but there seemed to be a feeling that he was more inaccurate than those numbers reflected - that he was most accurate on college-wide-open receivers and that he didn't lead the receiver or make the tight intermediate throws with accuracy. And he was drafted high in part because "he looks like you want your quarterback to look", same reason Blaine Gabbert went in the 1st but the (IMO better QB) Chase Daniel went undrafted.

I wanted the Bills to pick up a "sleeper" guy like a Chase Daniel or a Case Keenum, so I'm happy with Tyrod Taylor.

Time will tell, but color me excited :)

I'm a 20+ year Tech season ticket holder (graduated in '93) and honestly, some of the comments from folks in this thread who haven't seen Tyrod play and don't know anything about him are just silly. Our objective is to add competition to the QB position and the Bills have done that. Tyrod is an excellent athlete and was a better college QB than EJ (Tyrod was ACC player of the year his senior season). Obviously Taylor was stuck behind Flacco in Baltimore so it makes sense for him to jump at the opportunity to compete for a starting job.

Personally, I predict EJ will be cut and we'll start the season with Cassell and Taylor as our two QBs. Tyrod has all of the intangibles (e.g., leadership, knows when to run and knows when to take a chance with a throw, winner at all levels) that EJ lacks.

We shall see...

I'm a 20+ year Tech season ticket holder (graduated in '93) and honestly, some of the comments from folks in this thread who haven't seen Tyrod play and don't know anything about him are just silly. Our objective is to add competition to the QB position and the Bills have done that. Tyrod is an excellent athlete and was a better college QB than EJ (Tyrod was ACC player of the year his senior season). Obviously Taylor was stuck behind Flacco in Baltimore so it makes sense for him to jump at the opportunity to compete for a starting job.

Personally, I predict EJ will be cut and we'll start the season with Cassell and Taylor as our two QBs. Tyrod has all of the intangibles (e.g., leadership, knows when to run and knows when to take a chance with a throw, winner at all levels) that EJ lacks.

We shall see...

I like that bold prediction.

We shall see...

With all due respect, holy homer alert! :) EJ had a higher QB rating, much higher completion % in college, more yards from scrimmage, etc. in college than Taylor. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tyrod-taylor-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ej-manuel-1.html

Taylor has a 47 qb rating and has never thrown a td in the pros and never started a game. EJ is at a 78.5 and has started 14 games.

So despite all the stats, EJ being a 1st round pick as opposed to a 6th rounder; EJ being a much bigger player; Taylor is going to be a better QB than EJ because he has improved sitting on the bench for 4 years while EJ can't improve going into his 3rd year? :blink:

I like the Taylor signing. But the lengths people go to trash EJ is getting stupid. If EJ had a similar career for another team and we signed him this year, fans would look at him much favorably.

With all due respect, holy homer alert! :) EJ had a higher QB rating, much higher completion % in college, more yards from scrimmage, etc. in college than Taylor. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tyrod-taylor-1.html

Taylor has a 47 qb rating and has never thrown a td in the pros and never started a game. EJ is at a 78.5 and has started 14 games.

So despite all the stats, EJ being a 1st round pick as opposed to a 6th rounder; EJ being a much bigger player; Taylor is going to be a better QB than EJ because he has improved sitting on the bench for 4 years while EJ can't improve going into his 3rd year? :blink:

I like the Taylor signing. But the lengths people go to trash EJ is getting stupid. If EJ had a similar career for another team and we signed him this year, fans would look at him much favorably.

Dude. Orton beat out EJ. All you need to know.

keep repeating

I must Ignore the Trolls :lol: :lol: :devil:

IMO Tyrod was brought in to evaluate not much more. IF he had the big upside you think the Ravens would let him go?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

keep repeating

I must Ignore the Trolls :lol: :lol: :devil:

IMO Tyrod was brought in to evaluate not much more. IF he had the big upside you think the Ravens would let him go?

They might not have had a choice. Tyrod wanted a chance to start and the Ravens are rather invested in Flacco. They could have offered him something, but in the end the player still has to agree

Dude. Orton beat out EJ. All you need to know.

Not the TOTAL truth

Marrone wanted EJ to develop on the bench, He had stated that for the last 2 seasons,

They might not have had a choice. Tyrod wanted a chance to start and the Ravens are rather invested in Flacco. They could have offered him something, but in the end the player still has to agree

that could be, the other 2 Ravens QB's are

Bryn Renner $435,000 and Keith Wenning $435,000

By your round drafted logic, then Bledsoe should still be starting and Brady on bench

By your round drafted logic, then Bledsoe should still be starting and Brady on bench

Reading comprehension. It's part of the puzzle. EJ is bigger, younger, and has better stats in both college and the pros. Yet, Taylor is better to some.

Again, I like the signing but people are going to extremes to put EJ down.

he should have. But Bellyache works in mysterious ways

Reading comprehension. It's part of the puzzle. EJ is bigger, younger, and has better stats in both college and the pros. Yet, Taylor is better to some.

Again, I like the signing but people are going to extremes to put EJ down.

because their bashing "bothers" whom they call EJ "Fan Boys" they will keep at it

it's the Introllnet. people hiding behind keyboards