[closed]Bills interested in TE Charles Clay--update: F5 and stuff

YoloinOhio

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how good is Clay really? His stats are pretty similar to Chandler yet we'd be paying him significantly more money. Is he an excellent blocker or just a solid receiver?

He's way more versatile than Chandler with more athleticism. He can line up in multiple spots, he's really a good fit for what Roman seems to want to do.

He's way more versatile than Chandler with more athleticism. He can line up in multiple spots, he's really a good fit for what Roman seems to want to do.

This!! Don't be fooled by Chandler's stats; he is extremely limited. Clay is a really talented player that will give this offense a lift.

Dude had 7 catches for 31 yards first time we played them and 5 catches for 31 times the second time. That doesn't exactly scream stud tight end to me.

For reference Chandler had 2 catches 27 yards. In both. Combined. Did chandler play the second game? I love chandler but there is a clear distinction.

For reference Chandler had 2 catches 27 yards. In both. Combined. Did chandler play the second game? I love chandler but there is a clear distinction.

Not saying they're the same at all, just worried about the fact that we're going to be paying Clay 4 times what Scotty's making when they're putting up similar production. Clay is better but is he that much better.

Edited by Bills Fan888

Dude had 7 catches for 31 yards first time we played them and 5 catches for 31 times the second time. That doesn't exactly scream stud tight end to me.

Being in the AFC East I figured Bills fans would be a little more familiar with him. And I'm sure there are things Roman wants to do at the TE position that Chandler doesn't have the skill set for. Clay does

Edited by CNY315

Not saying they're the same at all, just worried about the fact that we're going to be paying Clay 4 times what Scotty's making when they're putting up similar production.

They won't put up similar numbers though with the same opportunity. Clay was the #1 TE on Polian's board & Miami thought enough to transition tag him. The Bills let Chandler test the market and he came crawling back after seeing the market. No one around the league thinks that the players are similar.

stats lie

I understand and that's why I was asking people to fill me in more on the guy. I'm very curious about how good of a blocker he is because I've heard a wide range of opinions on his blocking ability and I think that will be huge with the type of offense we're going to be running.

Not saying they're the same at all, just worried about the fact that we're going to be paying Clay 4 times what Scotty's making when they're putting up similar production. Clay is better but is he that much better.

I would be against anything more than about 2.25 times as much. Chandler is making 3 million almost this year. I agree it would be crazy to pay clay 12 million

I would be against anything more than about 2.25 times as much. Chandler is making 3 million almost this year. I agree it would be crazy to pay clay 12 million

My bad, it would be a little under 3 times that much then. I was using Scott's cap number for last year instead of this year.

I understand and that's why I was asking people to fill me in more on the guy. I'm very curious about how good of a blocker he is because I've heard a wide range of opinions on his blocking ability and I think that will be huge with the type of offense we're going to be running.

he is a good blocker, but that's not his "specialty." Roman reportedly sees him as a young Vernon Davis, and he will be used that way. He was rated as one of the top 100 players in the nfl the last time they did it.

My bad, it would be a little under 3 times that much then. I was using Scott's cap number for last year instead of this year.

Yeah I was just having a bit of fun :). As long as the FO doesn't go crazy I think he will be an excellent aquisitions. If they are out to pay a crazy amount just to get him away from the Dolphins then I'm not liking it as much.

it's been non-stop since marrone stepped down.

add in having to move out of buffalo news bureau, nhl all-star game, nhl features and nhl trade deadline, a bona game here and there, car shopping and squeezing in a vacation -- oh and a few* nights o' drinking -- and my time gets eaten up.

jw

(* more than four)

Just a word of advice.... My writing seems to get exponentially better when I blend it with my nights of drinking..... Give it a shot, lol... Hope you stop by the TBDAHOT again this coming year