Channel 4 dropping sports from their newscasts

It seems like they had already dropped it a long time ago!

And when Lauren Brill comes on it's like a high school show. She is the worst and missing her means a win for a viewer.

I wonder if they will still do the sports blitz on Sunday nights? I will probably just skip it and get Ch 2 sports extra and whatever Ch 7 calls their Bills show and that will Joe Buscalgia this year I would think when they do it.

Kudo's to Ch 2 for not bailing on sports and running sports extra all year long not just during Bills season like the other two stations do.

The argument that sports fans now access information 24/7 via mobile devices, Twitter, etc also holds true for the weather, doesn't it?

The only reason I tune into the local news is sports. I flip over to Ch. 2 at 6:24, 10:24 or 11:24 pm for the 3 minute sports update and that's it. The non-stop first look, extended forecast and last look at weather is way too much for me to handle. For me, a perfect weather segment would be one minute of the newscast - today's weather, tomorrow's weather, 5-day forecast. That's it.

I'd love to see a local station cut out all of the superfluous weather coverage and do an extended sports segment with in-depth interviews and features daily. They would get my allegiance and I bet most other Bills/Sabres fans too.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

other than saturdays and sundays and the thursday and friday of opening weekend of ncaa basketball tourney, how much sports news happens...and by news, i mean scores and highlights, personnel moves are included in the news segments, sports are usually reserved for scores and highlights. this makes perfect sense....

The non-stop first look, extended forecast and last look at weather is way too much for me to handle. For me, a perfect weather segment would be one minute of the newscast - today's weather, tomorrow's weather, 5-day forecast. That's it.

When Don Paul is on I zone out, he just keeps going on and on about nothing. And then when it's done, I turn to my wife and ask what he said the weather would be like tomorrow?

And Lauren Brill is terrible, I have changed the channel mid report more times than I can count because some days I just can't listen. She gets this Sports Center type talk going when showing highlights that's pretty funny though.

I do like Steve Vesey, he does a good job. But the 2 or 3 minutes they do on sports won't be missed.

The argument that sports fans now access information 24/7 via mobile devices, Twitter, etc also holds true for the weather, doesn't it?

The only reason I tune into the local news is sports. I flip over to Ch. 2 at 6:24, 10:24 or 11:24 pm for the 3 minute sports update and that's it. The non-stop first look, extended forecast and last look at weather is way too much for me to handle. For me, a perfect weather segment would be one minute of the newscast - today's weather, tomorrow's weather, 5-day forecast. That's it.

I'd love to see a local station cut out all of the superfluous weather coverage and do an extended sports segment with in-depth interviews and features daily. They would get my allegiance and I bet most other Bills/Sabres fans too.

i ONLY turn onto local news to get the weather LOL.Total opposite. Then again, my teams are Buffalo and i live in Richmond!

Local news stations here in Indy have healthy sports departments. Focus has started to shift from the 2 major pro sports (which is still covered) to college, high school and minor sports. There is the Weekend Sports shows featuring the Colts and Pacers. This is a bummer for ch 4. The sports casters like Check Healey, Dick Riffenberg and Van Miller were the sports authority of my youth. Too bad but time and change is constant.

I know local TV news has marginalized their sports coverage to about 45 seconds of local activities, but to remove it altogether is still shocking. Us old farts who were around before ESPN took over the world remember when the sports segment was the biggest part of the broadcast. Time marches on...

Ugh, the focus on weather is for me reason #1 not to watch local news. Though in Philly they try to finesse the problem by having the weather people be gorgeous women (Sheena Parveen... sigh).

It's worth noting, though, that even in a sports town like Philly the regular newscast is being continually shrunk and downgraded, and many times appears to have been pre-taped rather than part of the live broadcast. ESPN and 24/7 sports talk have killed it, I guess.

don't watch em anyways

and to see who got murdered and arson