Cassel vs. Ravens 2000 QB's & the reason Buffalo stands pat

Below is why I believe the Bills feel they are set at QB.

As we all know Rex Ryan was DC of the Ravens when they won the Super Bowl in 2000.

When comparing the Ravens QB's in 2000 (up to that point in their career) with Matt Cassel up to this point in his career, below is the result:

W-L COMP % YARDS TD/INT QB RATING WINNING SEASONS AS STARTER

Matt Cassel 33-38 59% 15,727 96/70 80.1 2

Trent Dilfer 38-38 54.8% 12,969 70/80 69.4 2

Tony Banks 20-33 54% 10,469 53/50 72.0 1

During the 2000 season, Dilfer/Banks had the following stats:

*Tony Banks 5-3 54.7% 1578 8/8 69.3

Trent Dilfer 7-1 59.3% 1502 12/11 76.6

*Began season as starter

Pretty mediocre if you ask me.

That same season the Ravens ranked 5th in the league in team rushing lead by Jamal Lewis' 1364 rushing yards & 6 TD's.

They also ranked 22nd in passing and threw the 9th most interceptions of any team in the league.

TE Shannon Sharpe had the most receiving yards w/ 810. Quadry Ismail lead Wide Receivers with 655 yards.

..and they won the Super Bowl.

Easy to see why spending all the money on defense and the running game makes sense.

We have arguably a more talented backfield, a more talented WR in Watkins, and are in the process of obtaining a talented TE.

OL is on the agenda as well.

Keep in mind that EJ is a wild card, and may have learned from his benching last season and may up his game from past seasons to overtake Cassel at QB. At least in Cassel, you know what you have....like what the Ravens thought with Dilfer & Banks.

Can Rex duplicate his magic again, or is it a different era in the NFL where you need a QB to make more plays.

We shall see.

But safe to say they with are gonna at least try.

Do you think this Bills defense is an All-Time great defense? I think it could be a really good best in the NFL defense but is it enough to carry the team through multiple playoff victories let alone playoffs? My best hope is the team fixes the O-line, adds some pieces to the offense (Like Clay), and finds an impact player in round 2 along with a mid-late round contributor.

This team reminds me more of the 2009-10 Jets. Great defense, good running game, some pieces around a shaky QB. One can only hope the team continues to fix holes in free agency/the draft and EJ develops.

Yes. And the players, to a man, think of Lewis as the head coach of that team over Brian Billick. That tells me defensive line coach had even less influence in that locker room than some like to give him credit for. Not knocking Rex, but the OP could only make this comparison if it was Lewis, not Rex as Bills HC.

Cassel won't see a snap all year as EJ shocks the world by leading us to the playoffs.

GO BILLS!!!

This first. If Manuel gets hurt, then yes I think you have something with Cassel too.

NFL offenses have changed tremendously since the Ravens won SB XXXV. OPI and roughing the passer penalties being called more frequently have helped transition the game into being predicated on scoring points, not stopping the other team from doing so.

Where, in the past 10 years, has there been a defense as dominant as the 2000 Ravens or 2002 Buccaneers? There haven't been any.

NFL offenses have changed tremendously since the Ravens won SB XXXV. OPI and roughing the passer penalties being called more frequently have helped transition the game into being predicated on scoring points, not stopping the other team from doing so.

Where, in the past 10 years, has there been a defense as dominant as the 2000 Ravens or 2002 Buccaneers? There haven't been any.

I'm not sure how you missed Seattle's Superbowl win against Denver....it was in all the papers

I'm not sure how you missed Seattle's Superbowl win against Denver....it was in all the papers

Seattle had a strong defense in 2013...and then a year later was defeated by a Patriots team that carved them up with short passes and didn't run the ball much with basically the same defensive personnel.

And, Seattle had much better QB play in 2014-15 than anything the Bills will put on the field in 2015.

Edited by BillsVet

Seattle had a strong defense in 2013...and then a year later was defeated by a Patriots team that carved them up with short passes and didn't run the ball much with basically the same defensive personnel.

And, Seattle had much better QB play in 2014-15 than anything the Bills will put on the field in 2015.

You said there had not been dominant defense like the 2000 Ravens or 2002 Bucs. You were wrong. If you think the 2013 Seattle defense wasn't dominant, then you were not paying attention. They won three playoff games, including the Superbowl on the strength of their defense. As for the QB play: Wilson, averaged 14 completions and 174 yds a game in the playoffs. What Wilson didn't do was turn the ball over.

You said there had not been dominant defense like the 2000 Ravens or 2002 Bucs. You were wrong. If you think the 2013 Seattle defense wasn't dominant, then you were not paying attention. They won three playoff games, including the Superbowl on the strength of their defense. As for the QB play: Wilson, averaged 14 completions and 174 yds a game in the playoffs. What Wilson didn't do was turn the ball over.

If he hadn't turned the ball over at the 1 yard line they would have won the last Superbowl, too.

Below is why I believe the Bills feel they are set at QB.

As we all know Rex Ryan was DC of the Ravens when they won the Super Bowl in 2000.

When comparing the Ravens QB's in 2000 (up to that point in their career) with Matt Cassel up to this point in his career, below is the result:

W-L COMP % YARDS TD/INT QB RATING WINNING SEASONS AS STARTER

Matt Cassel 33-38 59% 15,727 96/70 80.1 2

Trent Dilfer 38-38 54.8% 12,969 70/80 69.4 2

Tony Banks 20-33 54% 10,469 53/50 72.0 1

During the 2000 season, Dilfer/Banks had the following stats:

*Tony Banks 5-3 54.7% 1578 8/8 69.3

Trent Dilfer 7-1 59.3% 1502 12/11 76.6

*Began season as starter

Pretty mediocre if you ask me.

That same season the Ravens ranked 5th in the league in team rushing lead by Jamal Lewis' 1364 rushing yards & 6 TD's.

They also ranked 22nd in passing and threw the 9th most interceptions of any team in the league.

TE Shannon Sharpe had the most receiving yards w/ 810. Quadry Ismail lead Wide Receivers with 655 yards.

..and they won the Super Bowl.

Easy to see why spending all the money on defense and the running game makes sense.

We have arguably a more talented backfield, a more talented WR in Watkins, and are in the process of obtaining a talented TE.

OL is on the agenda as well.

Keep in mind that EJ is a wild card, and may have learned from his benching last season and may up his game from past seasons to overtake Cassel at QB. At least in Cassel, you know what you have....like what the Ravens thought with Dilfer & Banks.

Can Rex duplicate his magic again, or is it a different era in the NFL where you need a QB to make more plays.

We shall see.

But safe to say they with are gonna at least try.

Now take out the one lucky year in NE and see if this argument holds up.