CJ turned down Bills offer

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiller was given an offer. The spiller company got caught with their pants down. NE doesn't want him because he fumbles, but he would be their key returner and make big plays once in a while because that's what he does. To say Spiller would be used better the. We used him in Buffalo is short sided. Gailey is twice the offensive mind that Belichick is - I don't care what records or rings who has. Spiller will be used no better then what he was used for in Buffalo. He will make plays and highlights but the more I think about it.... NE would be foolish to sign him.

Dallas or NO make a lot of sense

Bills are lucky that he didn't accept, and it's not about the money. He's just not that good. He can't block, is a mediocre receiver, has had fumbling and injury problems and can't run between the tackles. He's fast, but it takes a lot more than that to be a good running back in the NFL.

But at $5 mill per year?

For saints to make this work, I have got to think Spiller signs for like $3 m per year.

Picking random numbers? Probably a deal similar to Ingram which was 4m.... Both first rounders with only one top notch season. Also maintain there are good comps-- bush-- at that price

Bills are lucky that he didn't accept, and it's not about the money. He's just not that good. He can't block, is a mediocre receiver, has had fumbling and injury problems and can't run between the tackles. He's fast, but it takes a lot more than that to be a good running back in the NFL.

I agree the Bills are lucky he didn't accept, especially since his refusal may have opened their minds to the McCoy trade.

McCoy is the player we wanted Spiller to become and we are way better off with him than with Spiller.

That said...Spiller is a capable receiver. He had 43 receptions and averaged 10.6 y/r in 2012; Marrone simply didn't use him effectively as a receiver, which is not his fault. After his rookie season he has fumbled an average of 3x a year in an average of 14 games a year - something like once every 4.5 games, which is a little less often than Gore (4 games) and a little more often than McCoy (6 games), which is not exactly butterfingers. And, he did learn to block capably under Gailey, though he's regressed badly since then.

It's true that he can't run between the tackles, and it's also true that he sometimes fails to see holes that are there or bounces outsider quickly rather than have patience and wait for his blocking to develop. He seemed to have a breakout season in 2012 but again, regressed under Marrone.

Spiller is a good player, and it is truly said that sometimes good is the enemy of great. I wish him luck, but I don't think he's going to get more than 4.5M a year elsewhere. If it was 2013, he would have been snapped up like a hotcake.

I agree the Bills are lucky he didn't accept, especially since his refusal may have opened their minds to the McCoy trade.

McCoy is the player we wanted Spiller to become and we are way better off with him than with Spiller.

That said...Spiller is a capable receiver. He had 43 receptions and averaged 10.6 y/r in 2012; Marrone simply didn't use him effectively as a receiver, which is not his fault. After his rookie season he has fumbled an average of 3x a year in an average of 14 games a year - something like once every 4.5 games, which is a little less often than Gore (4 games) and a little more often than McCoy (6 games), which is not exactly butterfingers. And, he did learn to block capably under Gailey, though he's regressed badly since then.

It's true that he can't run between the tackles, and it's also true that he sometimes fails to see holes that are there or bounces outsider quickly rather than have patience and wait for his blocking to develop. He seemed to have a breakout season in 2012 but again, regressed under Marrone.

Spiller is a good player, and it is truly said that sometimes good is the enemy of great. I wish him luck, but I don't think he's going to get more than 4.5M a year elsewhere. If it was 2013, he would have been snapped up like a hotcake.

I also do not think he is worth that kind of money. However, if the Cowboys cannot sign DeMarco Murray, I can easily see the Cowboys ofering CJ 4.5-5 million per year. They may not have a choice.

Picking random numbers? Probably a deal similar to Ingram which was 4m.... Both first rounders with only one top notch season. Also maintain there are good comps-- bush-- at that price

I guess I assumed $5 mill range since he already turned down $4.5 mill from us.

I think he can probably get $5 mill from someone once Murray decides.

I don't agree with you on the receiver part. Just about every pass to him that I can think of is a screen or dump off. That's nice but you'd expect better given his speed and athleticism. I don't remember too many wheel routes or anything beyond 5 yards really.

I agree that his fumbling troubles have improved since his rookie year, but I see a 3rd down back who is not a great blocker or receiver or a 1st down back who can't run between the tackles. That's not going to get him on the field much, IMO.

But anyway, good luck to him. Maybe a better OC can show the NFL (and me) what Spiller can really do.

I read on this very forum reducing ball PSI from 13 to 11.5 completely stops fumbles. Any way I don't think he's all that fast. In his high light films he always gets caught from behind even when he has a lead.

Agreed but some on this board think he is a star. He is a track athlete not a RB.

Spiller should go to Seattle on a one year deal. Rush for 650 yards at over 5 yards a carry and then try for another big signing bonus.