AN AUSSIE RUGBY SUPERSTAR SIGNED BY 49ers

Nate Ebner is a ST only player who the pats actually drafted from OSU. He played football as a walkon, ST only. He was an awesome rugby player though! He has done really well there.

Occasionally I watch rugby and some other sports on ESPN international. And you can tell that for the most part these guys lack the speed of NFL players. Hayne running 4.53 is clearly the fastest in those rugby highlights by a considerable margin. In the NFl he'll just be another one of the guys Edited by JTSP

Neat story. 6'2", 225 lbs, 4.53/40. Seems like NFL's notoriety and increasing pay scale is starting to attract superior athletes from other sports.

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/us-sports/an-aussie-rugby-league-superstar-has-been-signed-by-the-san-francisco-49ers/15865

Haven't top ruggers tried to cross over to American football before with limited success? They're rather different games.

Trivia: which Bills probowl star played rugby?

Favorite quote (from Buffy the Vampire Slayer): Giles: "I just think it's rather odd that a nation that prides itself on its virility should feel compelled to strap on forty pounds of protective gear just in order to play rugby."

Anyway, interesting link comparing Reggie Bush to a couple of Ruggers: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fan-pass/0ap2000000365096/Reggie-Bush-vs-Rugby-league-star

Haven't top ruggers tried to cross over to American football before with limited success? They're rather different games.

Trivia: which Bills probowl star played rugby?

Favorite quote (from Buffy the Vampire Slayer): Giles: "I just think it's rather odd that a nation that prides itself on its virility should feel compelled to strap on forty pounds of protective gear just in order to play rugby."

Anyway, interesting link comparing Reggie Bush to a couple of Ruggers: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fan-pass/0ap2000000365096/Reggie-Bush-vs-Rugby-league-star

I think the jets tried someone a few years back and he didn't make it. But he wasn't the athlete hayne is. Looks like NFL agrees this guy can play as he had a number of teams after him, and 9ers guaranteed him at least $100k. Edited by JTSP

I've seen him play a countless times including a few in person. He is incredibly talented rugby league player and obviously its a completely different game but I think he has the skills to be a really good special teams player. Rugby league is known for its tackling and that combined with his speed I could see him being a gunner and also a returner.

I cant imagine Hayne actually playing running back in the game because that is too drastic of a change but yeah definitely has the potential to make a difference on special teams as his position in Rugby League is very high pressure and always dealing with high kicks, returns and try (touchdown) saving tackles...

Good on him for trying though. The NFL is really popular in Australia and this will only increase peoples interest so its good for the game.

Also just to explain as its confusing, Hayne played Rugby League which is a different sport to Rugby Union which is mainly called Rugby. The rugby world cup is whats happening in London during the Bills game there this year and that is not the sport he played.

Neat story. 6'2", 225 lbs, 4.53/40. Seems like NFL's notoriety and increasing pay scale is starting to attract superior athletes from other sports.

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/us-sports/an-aussie-rugby-league-superstar-has-been-signed-by-the-san-francisco-49ers/15865

Starting to? You're as misinformed about this subject as you are pretty much everything else you post. You know why there hasn't been a heavy weight boxing champion of note in the US for decades? Because all the kids who would have started boxing when they were 10, 11, or 12 became left tackles / defensive ends. American football has been stealing other sports superior athletes since the 80s.

Of course, now with all the concussion information, that is going to change as fewer and fewer parents are allowing their kids to play the sport.

Starting to? You're as misinformed about this subject as you are pretty much everything else you post. You know why there hasn't been a heavy weight boxing champion of note in the US for decades? Because all the kids who would have started boxing when they were 10, 11, or 12 became left tackles / defensive ends. American football has been stealing other sports superior athletes since the 80s.

Of course, now with all the concussion information, that is going to change as fewer and fewer parents are allowing their kids to play the sport.

oh f*ckin snap!

Basketball has been stealing them. A lot of guys are in the NFL because they weren't tall enough for the NBA. If all of the guys that tried to make in basketball and failed played baseball or soccer I bet they would go pro