Stevie Johnson may be released from the 49ers (now released)

YoloinOhio

. And the only WR we've ever had to get 1,000 in 3 consecutive seasons, with one of the crappiest qb's we've ever had.

Not that impressive in today's era. You realize that even with the K-gun, Kelly only threw the ball 28 times a game, which had to be distributed to 4-5 quality targets. Andre Reed had 951 regular season receptions in 234 games (average 4 receptions per game, for 56 yards).

In the three years in question, Fitz averaged 34 throws per game and had only one midling-quality receiver for a target. Stevie was targeted almost nine times a game, with an average of 7.1 receptions.

If Andre had those type of opportunites he would have been in the HOF on his first year of eligibility...

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stevie Johnson played in 48 straight games before 2013 so if he was injured he played injured but haters gonna hate

I don't think it's "hating" to accurately state that Stevie started having groin problems long before 2013. He did play hurt.

5.5 million for 35 grabs..umm ya Stevie we need to talk

it was essentially a bad trade by the Niners. 4th rd pick for a guy who didn't help the offense and had a big contract. If he was a cheap guy it wouldn't have been too bad.

I'm neutral on him being with the Bills again. I think he's a good player, but his role would be limited here because there are at least 2 better WRs. So it would need to be a cheap contract. I would rather get someone who is a bigger red zone target when we add a WR.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Yeah let's not get the last bills WR to get 1,000 since moulds. And the only WR we've ever had to get 1,000 in 3 consecutive seasons, with one of the crappiest qb's we've ever had.

In response to the first part of your statement, forget Lee Evans? Other than that, if the Bills took a shot on Stevie I wouldn't mind at a fair price, but he might be over the hill and not fit the offensive system so might not make sense. I do think he and Rex would make for an interesting coach/player relationship.

Not that impressive in today's era. You realize that even with the K-gun, Kelly only threw the ball 28 times a game, which had to be distributed to 4-5 quality targets. Andre Reed had 951 regular season receptions in 234 games (average 4 receptions per game, for 56 yards).

In the three years in question, Fitz averaged 34 throws per game and had only one midling-quality receiver for a target. Stevie was targeted almost nine times a game, with an average of 7.1 receptions.

If Andre had those type of opportunites he would have been in the HOF on his first year of eligibility...

I agree 100%. A lot of Stevie's success during those years was because he was the best, of a god awful bunch of receivers. Reed had other quality receivers on the same team, giving Jim numerous quality targets. HOF James Lofton just to name one.

I agree 100%. A lot of Stevie's success during those years was because he was the best, of a god awful bunch of receivers. Reed had other quality receivers on the same team, giving Jim numerous quality targets. HOF James Lofton just to name one.

While I agree that Reed was way better than Stevie, I knew this was going to develop into that meaning Stevie Johnson wasn't good. He was good. He had 3 1,000 yard seasons with Fitzpatrick throwing to him. And while he didn't have to share his targets, he had no other receivers to take off the pressure either. Receivers just don't get yards by default because they are the only guy, they still have to play against defenses..

While I agree that Reed was way better than Stevie, I knew this was going to develop into that meaning Stevie Johnson wasn't good. He was good. He had 3 1,000 yard seasons with Fitzpatrick throwing to him. And while he didn't have to share his targets, he had no other receivers to take off the pressure either. Receivers just don't get yards by default because they are the only guy, they still have to play against defenses..

How many 1,000 yard seasons has he had since?

How many 1,000 yard seasons has he had since?

If he would have had the playing time? He was on par for a nearly 1,000 yard season this year.

Crabtree -

First 8 games

37 receptions 362 yards 3 tds

Stevie Johnson - When he actually got playing time in the first 8 games

28 receptions 356 yards 3 tds

Edit: I'll throw Anquan Boldin in too since he is technically their #1 WR

Anquan Boldin

45 receptions 540 yds 2 tds

Edited by What a Tuel

If he would have had the playing time? He was on par for a nearly 1,000 yard season this year.

Crabtree -

First 8 games

37 receptions 362 yards 3 tds

Stevie Johnson - When he actually got playing time in the first 8 games

28 receptions 356 yards 3 tds

Exactly so he will be getting no more then 40 receptions anymore. He would be a #3 here in Buffalo now.

Still not impressed. No different than a RB that gets 30 carries a game and averages 3-yards a pop. That can sometimes win you a game, but usually not...

Still not impressed. No different than a RB that gets 30 carries a game and averages 3-yards a pop. That can sometimes win you a game, but usually not...

Pull up a list of 1,000 yard WR's for 2014 and tell me you wouldn't want a single one of those on the Bills. 1,000 yard WR's aren't as common as you want to believe.

Exactly so he will be getting no more then 40 receptions anymore. He would be a #3 here in Buffalo now.

No they didn't play him the second half of the year. That is different than not getting targets. The reasons why they didn't play him are debatable.

Also it is good to note that he wasn't on the field every play in those games like Crabtree was. He matched Crabtree's stats and didn't play the same number of downs.

Edited by What a Tuel

Pull up a list of 1,000 yard WR's for 2014 and tell me you wouldn't want a single one of those on the Bills. 1,000 yard WR's isn't as common as you want to believe.

No they didn't play him the second half of the year. That is different than not getting targets. The reasons why they didn't play him are debatable.

Also it is good to note that he wasn't on the field every play in those games like Crabtree was. He matched Crabtree's stats and didn't play the same number of downs.

How would he see the field on a running team when he is the third WR? More two TE set which will leave only Woods and Watkins with Stevie riding the bench.

Pull up a list of 1,000 yard WR's for 2014 and tell me you wouldn't want a single one of those on the Bills.

Of course. I'd want every one of those 23 guys ahead of Stevie.

He's still the tallest midget in the Lilliput that was the 2010-12 Bills receiving corps...

How would he see the field on a running team when he is the third WR? More two TE set which will leave only Woods and Watkins with Stevie riding the bench.

We need a redzone target. Whether it be from a good TE, or a Mike Williams type player, or Stevie Johnson. We need to improve our red zone offense. If we pick up a solid big receiving TE that can start right away, then our need for Johnson decreases.

Of course. I'd want every one of those 23 guys ahead of Stevie.

He's still the tallest midget in the Lilliput that was the 2010-12 Bills receiving corps...

I guess we will have to agree to disagree then.

Edited by What a Tuel

Not surprised. Never was a fan. Overrated as a result of limited WR options. I tried long and hard to remember a clutch catch or winning moment for Stevie but only come up with dropped passes in the end zone in overtime and coming up one yard short repeatedly.