2006 draft do-over: Mario still goes #1

YoloinOhio

"Mario Williams never dominated games or was a lynchpin in a great defense or organization."

Maybe it's just me, but the lack or respect this guy gets is unbelievable. Sure, he doesn't put up JJ Watt numbers but he is undoubtedly the best player on what I believe to be a great defense. Numbers don't tell all.

"Mario Williams never dominated games or was a lynchpin in a great defense or organization."

Maybe it's just me, but the lack or respect this guy gets is unbelievable. Sure, he doesn't put up JJ Watt numbers but he is undoubtedly the best player on what I believe to be a great defense. Numbers don't tell all.

Agree. It's some dude who just sees sack #s. Mario was AP All pro because he is a great all around DE. He is great against the run and Jerry Hughes is getting big money because he benefited from playing with Mario.

Mario has been worth every penny. One of the best free agents signings in team histroy.

Yeah, that comment makes zero sense. Mario is a great player that any team would be content with having picked #1 overall.

Remember when he dominated Cam and the Panthers and had 4.5 sacks I think.

Well, this one isn't even hindsight. The Whitner pick was a dumb one at the time and a dumb one in retrospect. Not that Whitner was a horrible player -- but he was never expected to be an elite safety, which is what you expect from a player taken #8 overall. The Ngata pick was an obvious one. IIRC, I think the issue was that there was fierce disagreement at the time about which player to take. Modrak supposedly was pounding the table for Cutler. There were also offers to trade down, which would have made a lot of sense at that time. The Whitner pick always felt like a safe, something everyone in the room could live with selection. Even worse was trading multiple picks away to move up for McCargo later that day.

Edited by 2003Contenders

Well, this one isn't even hindsight. The Whitner pick was a dumb one at the time and a dumb one in retrospect. Not that Whitner was a horrible player -- but he was never expected to be an elite safety, which is what you expect from a player taken #8 overall. The Ngata pick was an obvious one. IIRC, I think the issue was that there was fierce disagreement at the time about which player to take. Modrak supposedly was pounding the table for Cutler. There were also offers to trade down, which would have made a lot of sense at that time. The Whitner pick always felt like a safe, something everyone in the room could live with selection. Even worse was trading multiple picks away to move up for McCargo later that day.

Not defending the Whitner pick, but his career suggests that he was actually an ok pick. There are so many guys that bust, and he's at least been a starter for 9 straight seasons and been to multiple pro bowls (3). He may not be great, but he's good, basically. He's pretty far form being a terrible pick, actually. The bills have done far, far worse. Do I think he was the right pick? No. But it's a myth that he was a terrible pick.

Who has had a better career -- him or Mark Barron? Barron, who was drafted 7th, is younger, but I don't think he's on pace to match Whitner.

Edited by dave mcbride