LAMP: Spending a Month in China

My company is opening a third manufacturing facility in Zhuhai China. I leave on March 13, and I'll be there 'til April 10. The good news is that Zhuhai is very close to both Hong Kong and to Macau. I'm wondering if any of my fellow Bills fans have been to any of these three areas and have any recommendations for weekend outings, good food, or off the beaten path experiences.

Excited and terrified at the prospect of spending a month in China . . .

I am in Shanghai/Suzhou for a few weeks every year for my company. I am unable to provide any assistance to you on the HK area but I go out on my own a bunch when I am there so I have some general suggestions for you 1.) I have a very abbreviated knowledge of Mandarin so having a translation app on my phone has really helped me out in a few critical situations when by myself 2.) A good GPS app (e.g., Google Map) has also been benefical in a few instances 3.) perhaps I should have listed this #1 but keep a card with you at all times with your hotel address in Mandarin. In the many years I have traveled there, I have yet to encounter a taxi driver that spoke English when I needed to get back to my hotel.

Enjoy your time and take advantage of being there.

I don't understand how you can get better food than the restaurant down the road from me. The place I go to is called "Number 1 Chinese Restaurant" and it has all the pictures of the food above the counter and pencils in a jar of rice. All original ideas and the food is delish. But maybe there is a #2 Chinese Restaurant in China. I feel blessed to have the best one in my own neighborhood right here in the USA. Have fun.

I am in Shanghai/Suzhou for a few weeks every year for my company. I am unable to provide any assistance to you on the HK area but I go out on my own a bunch when I am there so I have some general suggestions for you 1.) I have a very abbreviated knowledge of Mandarin so having a translation app on my phone has really helped me out in a few critical situations when by myself 2.) A good GPS app (e.g., Google Map) has also been benefical in a few instances 3.) perhaps I should have listed this #1 but keep a card with you at all times with your hotel address in Mandarin. In the many years I have traveled there, I have yet to encounter a taxi driver that spoke English when I needed to get back to my hotel.

Enjoy your time and take advantage of being there.

I've heard that Google in general is blocked in China, I'm assuming this doesn't apply to the Maps/GPS App . . .

I don't understand how you can get better food than the restaurant down the road from me. The place I go to is called "Number 1 Chinese Restaurant" and it has all the pictures of the food above the counter and pencils in a jar of rice. All original ideas and the food is delish. But maybe there is a #2 Chinese Restaurant in China. I feel blessed to have the best one in my own neighborhood right here in the USA. Have fun.

No way!! The #1 Chinese Restaurant is right down the street from me. Therefore, you must live in my town!!

No way!! The #1 Chinese Restaurant is right down the street from me. Therefore, you must live in my town!!

I seriously doubt that...the cook at my Number 1 Chinese Restaurant knows me and nods when I come in...he also knows I like my food quick so it is usually done in 5...10 minutes.

I seriously doubt that...the cook at my Number 1 Chinese Restaurant knows me and nods when I come in...he also knows I like my food quick so it is usually done in 5...10 minutes.

Well, they must be under the same ownership ownership anyway.

Interestingly, I have never visited the establishment. Despite the restaurant's clear superiority, I frequent the Panda Garden for my Chinese food needs. There is no garden there, and I was disappointed to not see any pandas, but the waitress/bartender has rather large breasts for an Asian woman.

My company is opening a third manufacturing facility in Zhuhai China. I leave on March 13, and I'll be there 'til April 10. The good news is that Zhuhai is very close to both Hong Kong and to Macau. I'm wondering if any of my fellow Bills fans have been to any of these three areas and have any recommendations for weekend outings, good food, or off the beaten path experiences.

I spent a few days in Hong Kong last year. Did a mix of touristy type stuff and got off the beaten path. A few things worth doing:

-Victoria Peak. Its the most touristy thing you can do there but the views are worth it. We paid a little more for the top terrace pass which was also worth it.

-Take the ferry over to Kowloon.

-Temple St Night Market. Buy a few beers and just walk around until you find something you want to eat. Fresh seafood everywhere,

-Find some roast goose and bbq pork. Superb.

-A few hole in the wall spots that I went to for great food: Kau Kee (noodles), Yat Lok (bbq and roast goose), Tim Ho Wan (dim sum). EAch of these places is dirt cheap and also has a Michelin Star or is on the Michelin watch list. Its basically unheard of to eat at restaurants that highly regarded for under $20 (or even under $100) so I think its worth it.

-Nightlife in Lan Kwai Fong. Its expensive but you run into all sorts of expats, local rich people, we stumbled across a bar packed with models that one of my friends recognized so we were completely out of our element.

-Nightlife in Kowloon seemed to be more locals which was also interesting.

I hear going to the race track is a ton of fun there but we ran out of time. Macau is Vegas on Asian steroids from what I understand.

I've heard that Google in general is blocked in China, I'm assuming this doesn't apply to the Maps/GPS App . . .

In my experience it depends. When I used the hotel network/wifi or a public/private wifi then no connection to Facebook or Twitter or Google. When I connected under those circumstances then I used Bing for searching. But when I used my mobile provider (ATT and their international partners) then I was able to access those filtered app sites while within China. I cannot explain that since they are all routed through the same firewall in Beijing but did not want to mention it and mess up something that was working. Btw, I will be returning there in Aug/Sep.

Well I've got #1 Kitchen and Yummy China near me!

Whatever vegetable is in season you will get tired of. For me, it was Bok Choy, and by then end of my trip, I wanted anything else, carrots, broccoli, etc. Also beggars are all around where they know foreigners are. Some mornings it was like running a gauntlet between the hotel and the tour bus. And always bicker on price of anything you want to buy, including Chinese Mail Order brides.

Whatever vegetable is in season you will get tired of. For me, it was Bok Choy, and by then end of my trip, I wanted anything else, carrots, broccoli, etc. Also beggars are all around where they know foreigners are. Some mornings it was like running a gauntlet between the hotel and the tour bus. And always bicker on price of anything you want to buy, including Chinese Mail Order brides.

Rats! I've been outed on my true mission!

Maybe stick to the Rolex watches then. They're easier to bring back into the country.

I wish I could remember it, but our tour guide had a joke about the Rolex watches they sell, something about how it works just long enough to get you to the airport.

Rats! I've been outed on my true mission!

My former company sent a large group to Kunming China for three to six months. Three guys brought back wives. Two of them were already married. One guys new wife left him as soon as she got her paperwork. Another guy picked up Hep-C.