Sun Life stadium renovations

Sojourner

News from a few months back but I was re-reading these threads: #1, #2 regarding a new stadium and saw NFL.com highlighted Miami has plans in the works of a complete upgrade of their stadium, $400m over two years to be exact.

Given that Terry has the money and resources to fund such a project, do you think it's possible the Ralph sees the same kind of overhaul instead of a complete relocation?

EDIT

Video of suggested renovations:

[media=250x350]

[/media] Edited by Smooth

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Buffalo is stupid enough to short arm a way passed due NEW stadium, then Buffalo deserves to be called the mistake on the lake.

That Stadium needs to be a retractable roof and it needs to be downtown where it will help generate business growth. Something that has never happened in Orchard Park the entire 40 years the Ralph has been there.

Buffalo cannot afford to mess up this golden opportunity to flood South Buffalo and the waterfront with new cash and development. Time for Buffalo to truly be that City on the rise, and anew stadium in Buffalo is key to that continued development

If Buffalo is stupid enough to short arm a way passed due NEW stadium, then Buffalo deserves to be called the mistake on the lake.

That Stadium needs to be a retractable roof and it needs to be downtown where it will help generate business growth. Something that has never happened in Orchard Park the entire 40 years the Ralph has been there.

Buffalo cannot afford to mess up this golden opportunity to flood South Buffalo and the waterfront with new cash and development. Time for Buffalo to truly be that City on the rise, and anew stadium in Buffalo is key to that continued development

I am not for a second stating renovating the Ralph is the best option, rather if it is the more likely scenario.

Totally concur that a new stadium in that location is a golden opportunity.

News from a few months back but I was re-reading these threads: #1, #2 regarding a new stadium and saw NFL.com highlighted Miami has plans in the works of a complete upgrade of their stadium, $400m over two years to be exact.

Given that Terry has the money and resources to fund such a project, do you think it's possible the Ralph sees the same kind of overhaul instead of a complete relocation?

EDIT

Video of suggested renovations:

[media=250x350]

[/media]
I still say that there is a 0% chance of a retrofit. The Bills NEED to rescale the stadium to generate the appropriate revenue. They need to marry the best locations with the best ammenities which is impossible to do at the Ralph. It is not impossible because it is physically impossible but impossible because of the ill will that it will create. The Bills need a clean slate in order to maximize revenue.

> it needs to be downtown where it will help generate business growth.

where has this concept been proven with football stadiums? here in Denver the stadium is downtown, but the area around it is not full of businesses thriving off of it. No special shops or restaurants; Federal ave is the same as any other commercial road. Baseball stadiums I can see.. Coors Field completely revitalized Lower Downtown. But football stadiums sit idle for too many days of the year.

The NFL on multiple occasions said the Bills must build a new stadium... so I think that's basically the final word on it.

where has this concept been proven with football stadiums? here in Denver the stadium is downtown, but the area around it is not full of businesses thriving off of it. No special shops or restaurants; Federal ave is the same as any other commercial road. Baseball stadiums I can see.. Coors Field completely revitalized Lower Downtown. But football stadiums sit idle for too many days of the year.

The SW waterfront in DC was a pretty sketchy area, when the stadium was announced, constructed, and opened, all sorts of new construction popped up, along with new businesses. The area is completely different compared to 10 years ago.

where do you park 10,000 to 15000 cars/trucks/busses? 6 people per car = 60,000 fans

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Yeah I agree. Considering the $130mil they just sunk into the Ralph, a new stadium is a ways off.

It will happen eventually, but between the traffic problems getting in/out of downtown, and the fact that, on a annual basis, it won't be used that often, I don't know if downtown Buffalo would really be the best choice.

Whether or not they build a new stadium or renovate the Ralph I just hope it's Pegulas decision and he's not forced into doing something because the NFL says he has to. It would suck to see the average fan priced even further out of the ability to attend a game. Does Buffalo even have the $ to support luxury boxes in a downtown stadium?

Whether or not they build a new stadium or renovate the Ralph I just hope it's Pegulas decision and he's not forced into doing something because the NFL says he has to. It would suck to see the average fan priced even further out of the ability to attend a game. Does Buffalo even have the $ to support luxury boxes in a downtown stadium?

I'm 1,000% positive that the Pegula's have already agreed to whatever the NFL wants as a condition of the sale. I would imagine that the NFL would be okay with a retrofit but I would be SHOCKED if the Pegula's wanted that. I sound like a broken record but they will not be able to achieve their long term financial goals in that location. The NFL probably said, "we would like you to have a new stadium when this lease expires" and the Pegula's probably said, "that is the plan." It makes the most sense for everyone to generate as much money as they can both shared and nonshared.

I'm 1,000% positive that the Pegula's have already agreed to whatever the NFL wants as a condition of the sale. I would imagine that the NFL would be okay with a retrofit but I would be SHOCKED if the Pegula's wanted that. I sound like a broken record but they will not be able to achieve their long term financial goals in that location. The NFL probably said, "we would like you to have a new stadium when this lease expires" and the Pegula's probably said, "that is the plan." It makes the most sense for everyone to generate as much money as they can both shared and nonshared.

Do you think Buffalo can support the luxury boxes and PSLs that come with a new stadium? What good would a new stadium be if it's not full? I'm asking because I really want to know.

Do you think Buffalo can support the luxury boxes and PSLs that come with a new stadium? What good would a new stadium be if it's not full? I'm asking because I really want to know.

Yeah, they will be fine. One of the challenges that the face with the club seats now is that they are about 3 times as much as seats at the 50 20 rows up. The benefits of the club seats are nice but are they 3 x better than the location? They need to marry the amenities and location. Those are the 2 driving factors for people when it comes to ST. That is exactly why the Ralph won't work. People that have sat in those seats for 30-40 years will feel like they took "their" seat away. In a new stadium that sense of ownership does not exist. You are not being moved from the people that you have sat next to for 20 years, etc... Your gameday ritual isn't being taken away. It is a completely new experience.

The new stadium though is even more about the sellable sponsorship inventory as it is ticket sales. It is all of that ancillary revenue that can be created from developing sellable assets from a marketing standpoint.

I agree that its inevitable the Bills will get a new stadium but I dont buy into the thinking that the Bills absolutely need one. If Green Bay can continue play in Lambeau which I think is even older than the Ralph then why cant the Bills keep playing at the Ralph?

As someone else mentioned a new football stadium isnt going to generate as much business as a new baseball stadium simply because it isnt used anywhere near as much.

I love the angles on TV from the Ralph with the cameras as close as they are as opposed to the new stadiums where it feels like you are watching at an angle from above the field.

Edited by Max997

the subway system is long overdue for a massive overhaul

yeah but a subway doesn't help Canadians, or Greater Rochesterians get there and park

I agree that its inevitable the Bills will get a new stadium but I dont buy into the thinking that the Bills absolutely need one. If Green Bay can continue play in Lambeau which I think is even older than the Ralph then why cant the Bills keep playing at the Ralph?

As someone else mentioned a new football stadium isnt going to generate as much business as a new baseball stadium simply because it isnt used anywhere near as much.

I love the angles on TV from the Ralph with the cameras as close as they are as opposed to the new stadiums where it feels like you are watching at an angle from above the field.

Lambeau is old with a crap grass field The reason its that way is because it's "owned" by the fans or however one refers to it.

The other thing is, the three locations being suggested by the outside stadium council are all in places that will impede some of the progress and momentum that has already started to revitalize the area.

So you're saying that the report was tailored to honor Buffalo's tradition and history?