Two plays changed everything for two quarterbacks

One was the hit placed upon Trent Edwards by Adrian Wilson, the safety from the Arizona Cardinals. Our team was 4-0 and looking pretty good. Edwards was not great, but he was good enough to get them to that game undefeated for the first 4-0 record in years. On one of the first plays of the game, Wilson came through and knocked Edwards into the future. He was never the same.

He never got it back.

Last year the play that ruined the season of EJ Manuel was the pick six by JJ Watt. Prior to that play, EJ was good but not great, and was progressing like one might expect from the 16th pick in the previous draft.....not a franchise quarterback, but one who needs a couple years to get up to speed. We were ready to score against the Texans, and he threw that pass that Watt, well, you saw it.

He was not the only player to be made to look foolish by JJ Watt.

As a result, Saint Doug took it upon himself to declare that EJ Manuel is no longer the quarterback of the Buffalo Bills. One play changed everything.

The difference is that Edwards was actually injured on the play, and perhaps that injury led to his long-term mediocrity. EJ Manuel made a mistake. People make them in games. All quarterbacks make mistakes. The way to measure the quality of a leader is to look at how he responds after he gets back up. EJ never was given that chance.

Since he was not hurt, I think that he paid an unfair price for making a bad throw to the best defensive player in the NFL. Next time he won't make that throw, and the Bills go on to win the game.

This is not an EJ thread. It's a thread about redemption. One guy's malady was physical. The other guy got beat by a great player. Maybe he should have not endured such a consequence.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don' recall E.J. progressing at all last year, and don't recall him playing anything close to "good".

He could redeem himself with good QB play, however that hasn't happened and the only progress that I recall

is showing the ability to run out of bounds or get "down" when needed.

Is this John from Hemet???

One was the hit placed upon Trent Edwards by Adrian Wilson, the safety from the Arizona Cardinals. Our team was 4-0 and looking pretty good. Edwards was not great, but he was good enough to get them to that game undefeated for the first 4-0 record in years. On one of the first plays of the game, Wilson came through and knocked Edwards into the future. He was never the same.

He never got it back.

Last year the play that ruined the season of EJ Manuel was the pick six by JJ Watt. Prior to that play, EJ was good but not great, and was progressing like one might expect from the 16th pick in the previous draft.....not a franchise quarterback, but one who needs a couple years to get up to speed. We were ready to score against the Texans, and he threw that pass that Watt, well, you saw it.

As a result, Saint Doug took it upon himself to declare that EJ Manuel is no longer the quarterback of the Buffalo Bills. One play changed everything.

The difference is that Edwards was actually injured on the play, and perhaps that injury led to his long-term mediocrity. EJ Manuel made a mistake. People make them in games. All quarterbacks make mistakes. The way to measure the quality of a leader is to look at how he responds after he gets back up. EJ never was given that chance.

Since he was not hurt, I think that he paid an unfair price for making a bad throw to the best defensive player in the NFL. Next time he won't make that throw, and the Bills go on to win the game.

This is not an EJ thread. It's a thread about redemption. One guy's malady was physical. The other guy got beat by a great player. Maybe he should have not endured such a consequence.

Only if Jeff Tuel gets the same redemption.

This is simply just not true.

Edwards had probably the best game of his career the week after against the Chargers.

And EJ wasn't progressing at all this year. Not saying he never will, but its just not factual to say he was better than he was last season (even though he wasn't all that great then either).

The biggest Trent Edwards myth is that the Wilson hit ruined him...it didn't.

They went into the bye week at 4-1, and he came out the following week against SD and had his best game as a pro.

Trent's problem was the same as every young QB that plays well initially and tails off: defenses figured him out, and he had nothing left in his repertoire to adjust to and keep them honest.

That's the book on Edwards; the book on EJ, IMO, is yet to be written in full.

I'm not convinced Trent was ever any good. I know the Wilson hit is always brought up as the turning point for him, but he played one of his best games of his career the next week against San Diego.

Trent just was what he was, a smart but physically limited player. He was always captain check down, it's just after the Wilson hit he lost any of the slight nerve he did have.

I have no idea why EJ didn't play the Pats game, other than Doug likely knew he was going to walk and figured a 9-7 record looks a lot better than 8-8.

He never got it back.

I think you have made EJs inadequacies a little too simple. No one play ever made or broke a players career.

He was never considered by anyone in or out of football to be more than a project QB that could possibly be molded into a serviceable starter somewhere down the road. The question I ask myself regarding EJ is, was he given enough time and the right coaching as that "Project QB" to be any further along than he was when he was benched? Or was he exactly how good he could be expected to be at that point in his career and they pulled the plug before he could be truly expected to take a real step forward? You would think that with such a low expectation level he would have been given more time to learn.

I think the hit he took in Cleveland had a bigger impact on his future play than the Watt interception.

Living in Ohio, that play still makes my blood boil, especially the way the Browns were talking about "they took our guy out, so we were going to take theirs out" during and after the game. Hoyer gets hurt on a freak play because he doesn't know how to slide properly so the Browns D puts out a hit on EJ, meanwhile no one in the national media cares because it's Browns-Bills. I hate Tashaun Gipson.

The play that started Trent's downfall was when he tried to reach over the pile with the ball to get a first and the Dolphin just said Thank you very much - and took the ball right out of his hands.

Everything he did before that seemed to be very smart.

Living in Ohio, that play still makes my blood boil, especially the way the Browns were talking about "they took our guy out, so we were going to take theirs out" during and after the game. Hoyer gets hurt on a freak play because he doesn't know how to slide properly so the Browns D puts out a hit on EJ, meanwhile no one in the national media cares because it's Browns-Bills. I hate Tashaun Gipson.

EJ got hit because he didn't slide.

Bad plays made by mediocre QBs changed everything?

EJs pick six didng change much. EJ should have been pulled at half time of that game, the Watt pick was just a nail in the coffin as far as Im concerned. EJ was not progressing, he had a good game against Chicago when nobody had any tape on us and then regressed after that.

I couldn't help but believe it to be karma when Gipson tore his MCL and PCL in the midst of a pro bowl type season after colliding with his own teammate.

Serves him right for celebrating another player's injury right in his face.

Yes, but he got hit right on the knee because the Browns are dirty. How often do you see players launching themselves into QB's knees (or launching themselves into QBs period).

He was running down the sideline. It happens all the time. QB is a RB there.

I don' recall E.J. progressing at all last year, and don't recall him playing anything close to "good".

He could redeem himself with good QB play, however that hasn't happened and the only progress that I recall

is showing the ability to run out of bounds or get "down" when needed.

Is this John from Hemet???

Hey now!