How we should find a franchise QB

QB: The Making of Modern Quarterbacks (book)

Thought this was a fascinating listen on John Murphy Show.

Bruce Feldman, who wrote the book, mentioned a scientist named Jonathan Neidnagal who came up with 16 brain types and that of SB winning QBs less than 10% of the population has this brain type but half of them (SB QBs) had this brain type. Said that Tebow has a RB brain, not sure how this works but I ordered the book just to see how it works.

Also talked about QB Guru Tom House has worked with the NFL elite.

"The NFL's hottest quarterback guru is tinkering with Tom Brady, Carson Palmer and Drew Brees. He's also credited with the "dramatic improvement" of another NFL quarterback by the player's head coach. The catch about the man who has the ear of these megastar signal callers: He's a baseball pitching coach."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303822204577466623689762452

http://media.wgr550.com/a/101860626/2-11-bruce-feldman-talks-about-his-new-book-how-to-find-a-nfl-qb-with-john-murphy.htm

"Niednagel's prediction in 1998 that Peyton Manning would become a star quarterback in the National Football League (NFL), and that the similarly hyped Ryan Leaf would perform poorly in the league."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_types

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

QB: The Making of Modern Quarterbacks (book)

Thought this was a fascinating listen on John Murphy Show.

Bruce Feldman, who wrote the book, mentioned a scientist named Jonathan Neidnagal who came up with 16 brain types and that of SB winning QBs less than 10% of the population has this brain type but half of them (SB QBs) had this brain type. Said that Tebow has a RB brain, not sure how this works but I ordered the book just to see how it works.

Also talked about QB Guru Tom House has worked with the NFL elite.

"The NFL's hottest quarterback guru is tinkering with Tom Brady, Carson Palmer and Drew Brees. He's also credited with the "dramatic improvement" of another NFL quarterback by the player's head coach. The catch about the man who has the ear of these megastar signal callers: He's a baseball pitching coach."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303822204577466623689762452

http://media.wgr550.com/a/101860626/2-11-bruce-feldman-talks-about-his-new-book-how-to-find-a-nfl-qb-with-john-murphy.htm

"Niednagel's prediction in 1998 that Peyton Manning would become a star quarterback in the National Football League (NFL), and that the similarly hyped Ryan Leaf would perform poorly in the league."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_types

So a guy comes up with 16 types of brains, declares only one in 10 of of us has a "SB winning QB" brain type, but (only?) half the SB winning QBs actually have this SB winning QB brain type?

Some sweet science!

I caught a bit of this interview last night.

Pretty interesting stuff.

So a guy comes up with 16 types of brains, declares only one in 10 of of us has a "SB winning QB" brain type, but (only?) half the SB winning QBs actually have this SB winning QB brain type?

Some sweet science!

Well, it is certainly another useful bit of info that might be able to help rank potential prospects. If you have 2 players rated similarly in all other areas and one of them has this brain type, it might give them the edge.

I was going to suggest praying.

Seems like the only thing left to do

CBF

can't hurt 0:)

Some sweet science!

it's interesting, can't wait to read the book.

Some sweet science!

probably the other half were game managers that had a great team.

in reality it is more than half of the Super Bowls as many of the "QB types" have won more than one SB.

I don't find this particularly interesting at all. There is no way to pre-determine who will be a franchise QB or who won't be for that matter. In addition say this was true and someone like Andrew Luck has this brain type and he's the only one, what are you going to do about it? He went to the team that had the first pick.

I don't find this particularly interesting at all. There is no way to pre-determine who will be a franchise QB or who won't be for that matter. In addition say this was true and someone like Andrew Luck has this brain type and he's the only one, what are you going to do about it? He went to the team that had the first pick.

Well. Lets say you are considering two prospects in Rd2. If one has this brain type, maybe you pick him over the other.

I wonder if Russell Wilson has it.

can't hurt 0:)

it's interesting, can't wait to read the book.

probably the other half were game managers that had a great team.

in reality it is more than half of the Super Bowls as many of the "QB types" have won more than one SB.

The guy is a con man. Did you read the rest of your cited wiki page on him?

He's not a scientist. He "eyeballs" people and assigns them some goofy "brain type".

"Despite the effort and study that Niednagel has put into Brain Types, it has yet to be validated via scientific journals or publications."

"Educational society and members of American Psychological Association criticize Brain Types as not valid and built for commercial purposes only.[4] Mr. Niednagel, a lay-scientist of 30 years, with a Bachelor’s degree in Business Finance from California State University, Long Beach, says his method is the most accurate (in applying the Jungian/Myers model) and verifiable".

This shouldn't even need mentioning, but it here it is:

"Current knowledge of the use of fMRIs, transcranial magnetic stimulation, and electroencephalography to monitor brain waves and brain function makes the idea of having the ability to look at someone and determine features of their brain far too simplistic."

Edited by Mr. WEO

Well. Lets say you are considering two prospects in Rd2. If one has this brain type, maybe you pick him over the other.

I wonder if Russell Wilson has it.

What if you rank the QB's as a GM/Organization and one you have slated in the 2nd round and another in the 4th - the one in the 4th has this brain type, what do you do?

The guy is a con man. Did you read the rest of your cited wiki page on him?

He's not a scientist. He "eyeballs" people and assigns them some goofy "brain type".

"Despite the effort and study that Niednagel has put into Brain Types, it has yet to be validated via scientific journals or publications."

"Educational society and members of American Psychological Association criticize Brain Types as not valid and built for commercial purposes only.[4] Mr. Niednagel, a lay-scientist of 30 years, with a Bachelor’s degree in Business Finance from California State University, Long Beach, says his method is the most accurate (in applying the Jungian/Myers model) and verifiable".

This shouldn't even need mentioning, but it here it is:

"Current knowledge of the use of fMRIs, transcranial magnetic stimulation, and electroencephalography to monitor brain waves and brain function makes the idea of having the ability to look at someone and determine features of their brain far too simplistic."

somehow I think there is more to it than that.

Also the book isn't just about him it's just an interesting piece.

I also mentioned Tom House in case you missed it.

somehow I think there is more to it than that.

Also the book isn't just about him it's just an interesting piece.

I also mentioned Tom House in case you missed it.

I did see that you mentioned House.

The other guy---no, there is no more to his "science" than what is described in its own wiki. It's bogus.

Its a lot of luck, a lot of chance, a lot of risk.

Take 3 QB's. Tom Brady, Ryan Tannehill, and Andy Dalton. Of those only one was determined a quality QB worth building around - Tannehill. And I'm not convincedhe iisn't, I see good things in him.

Brady should not exist. The patriots did not pull a fast one in the draft as an insurance plan, nor did they plan on Brady. Belichick and NE put all their hopes in to Bledsoe and he got hurt. Belichick is pretty darn good with QB's and getting a D out there to help him out on the other aide. If they just had Bledsoe we would never know Brady.

If the Bengals did not keep flubbing up and have such a low bar they'd have simply rode with Fitz and perhaps been just as well off. Dalton is not much better then Fitz. He was supposed to end up like Fitz.

Tannehill was a project QB. The type like Gabbert, and all the rest. He wasn't a Bradford, Stafford or Luck. But he may outlast 2 of them. He will be in the league in a decade from now.

Many of these guys we think of as so elite are nothing more then today's Daunte Culpepper or Chad Pennington. They have some sparkle but they're no diamond.

We can only find a diamond if we look. We gotta draft QB's. Even in the 5th or 6th. Why not?