The clear cut best option to get adequate QB play is...

Hplarrm

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The league has changed in the last decade, partly because of rules and partly because the elite QBs are so good. You can't win with a 2000-era Trent Dilfer anymore. You need a good QB. The Bills don't have one.

I'm not clear where the opinion is coming from that a defense can be dominant anymore. There isn't one team that can put out a 1985 Bears, 2000 Baltimore, or 2002 Tampa Bay caliber defense, no matter how many resources are allocated to that side of the ball. The rules have, as you say, changed significantly so that defense cannot be played the way it used to be.

Seattle gave up 28 points to New England in the Super Bowl, so good QB play with some weapons can still beat a solid defense.

Perhaps this argument of building an "elite" defense is grounded in some fans' private admission that Buffalo doesn't have a QB nor will acquire a decent one this off-season. That's pretty likely, but what's absurd is the thought of spending more resources defensively. If the strategy is to continue building defense, it'll come at the price of building a better offense. Teams just can't be that imbalanced and expect to win, regardless of what happened 10, 15, 25, 30 years ago.

Edited by BillsVet

Use the running game to setup the passing game???

Has that been tried before.... in the NFL?

Actually, I don't think the Bills have much of a choice on this one. They essentially won't have a passing game, so run the ball

as much as you can and hope for the best.

Denver did it with Tebow a few years back, and got into the playoffs...

E.J. can't be as bad as Tebow, however the O line is horrible again at this point in time.

I'm not clear where the opinion is coming from that a defense can be dominant anymore. There isn't one team that can put out a 1985 Bears, 2000 Baltimore, or 2002 Tampa Bay caliber defense, no matter how many resources are allocated to that side of the ball. The rules have, as you say, changed significantly so that defense cannot be played the way it used to be.

Seattle gave up 28 points to New England in the Super Bowl, so good QB play with some weapons can still beat a solid defense.

Perhaps this argument of building an "elite" defense is grounded in some fans' private admission that Buffalo doesn't have a QB nor will acquire a decent one this off-season. That's pretty likely, but what's absurd is the thought of spending more resources defensively. If the strategy is to continue building defense, it'll come at the price of building a better offense. Teams just can't be that imbalanced and expect to win, regardless of what happened 10, 15, 25, 30 years ago.

Good points.

Buffalo did go from 6th in the NFL in rushing in 2012, to 25th in the NFL in rushing in 2014 under Marrone, so there is some meat on the bone there... possibly.

Also, who knows, maybe a real O.C. could get some more yards out of C.J.

I think the plan for next year is obvious....

Rex Ryan will elevate an already good defense.

Danny Crossman will keep the STs playing at a high level.

Greg Roman will do what he does best and establish a capable running attack. (I expect us to sign/draft at least one more guard).

We'll do the best we can passing the ball with the best QB we can find (maybe EJ).

That's probably not enough to get us to the SB but it could be enough to get us into the playoffs.

I agree with this. Get Revis, and get a running game that takes the pressure off the QB. We need a QB who only needs to throw 15-25 times a game. An old Manning (as suggested in other threads), Sam Bradford, or even Matt Moore would do. (EJ could work if he has improved)

Good points.

Buffalo did go from 6th in the NFL in rushing in 2012, to 25th in the NFL in rushing in 2014 under Marrone, so there is some meat on the bone there... possibly.

Also, who knows, maybe a real O.C. could get some more yards out of C.J.

A lot has changed since 2012. Back then, they had a somewhat competent (although not stellar) passing game to support the run game.

The play of several players has tailed off, noticeably Fred Jackson and on the OL, Wood and Pears. The latter probably won't return and the former has regressed. And of course, they let Levitre go, only to replace him with (in order) Colin Brown, Doug Legursky, Chris Williams, Cyril Richardson, and Kraig Urbik.

The OL needs a serious talent upgrade and the RB's need to improve. I doubt Spiller returns although it's possible. Bryce Brown needs to have his case of fumbleitis resolved before this team can run the ball like it did in 2012.

Edited by BillsVet

Manning is all but done in his career. It's sink or swim time for EJ. If he can't get it done then the Bills can move on to a different young QB.

I agree. Manning is an All-time great, but he was awful the last quarter of the season and I think Father Time has caught up with him. I think investing huge money in him for one more year would be risky in terms of the other players already on the roster that wouldn't get paid and could be lost.

A lot has changed since 2012. Back then, they had a somewhat competent (although not stellar) passing game to support the run game.

The play of several players has tailed off, noticeably Fred Jackson and on the OL, Wood and Pears. The latter probably won't return and the former has regressed. And of course, they let Levitre go, only to replace him with (in order) Colin Brown, Doug Legursky, Chris Williams, Cyril Richardson, and Kraig Urbik.

The OL needs a serious talent upgrade and the RB's need to improve. I doubt Spiller returns although it's possible. Bryce Brown needs to have his case of fumbleitis resolved before this team can run the ball like it did in 2012.

Well, Buffalo ranked 18th passing yards / game in 2014, and 25th passing yards / game in 2012. So the passing game was actually better this year and you have to figure in how bad it was also with E.J. starting the season the first four games I believe. You can blame Marrone for much, not ALL, of the Oline demise, IMO.

Use the running game to setup the passing game???

Has that been tried before.... in the NFL?

Actually, I don't think the Bills have much of a choice on this one. They essentially won't have a passing game, so run the ball

as much as you can and hope for the best.

Denver did it with Tebow a few years back, and got into the playoffs...

That Denver team was 8-8 and their offense was horrible - scratching out miracle victories after 3.75 quarters of miserable play. I know Tebow had God on his side, but I don't expect that'll be the case for the Bills QB, whoever it ends up being.

I'm not understanding the Manning talk. Sure, if healthy he's a very good option. Buffalo probably wont make the SB this year so to have him play for us would be a waste because I doubt he'll come back for another after that. He is a pretty frail human at this point lacking the ability to get out of harms way.

Frankly I am hoping beyond hope that the starting QB is already on our roster. EJ. Maybe he has a breakout year ? Not betting on it but damn sure hoping so. Even if EJ were to start a FA acquisition would still make sense. A lower budget vet. Mark Sanchez, Colt McCoy maybe ?? I really dont know the answer but a capable game manager would be needed in this scenario. Also, who knows what happens to Jeff Tuel with Rex on board. Marrone was high on him for whatever reason. He may disappear under this regime.

I think we're all hoping EJ can be the answer, but he's not going to magically one day go out there and become the accurate passer we hoped he was/is... He is terribly in-accurate and that's not going to change.. We can hope and pray a new coaching staff can instantly increase his accuracy but if that's what your hoping for then good luck w/ that..

Agree & don't see it happening. Great coaching needed just to make him close to adequate. A vet, plus draft a QB. And keep drafting until u hit. We drafted a 4th round talent in round 1 out of desperation (don't blame them) and it's obvious he is not an accurate passer. With the thoroughbreds we have @ WR it's a dam# shame we don't have an "adequate" QB to get them the ball. Draft Carden, Petty or Grayson & pick up a vet. Got to try something but the answer isn't on the roster. P.S. IMO Brett Hundley is an EJ clone so we shouldn't waste time on him. He can't hit a secondary receiver either.

We went 9-7 with a superior team & below avg. QB who is now retired. We're left w/ next to nothing. If we can get "adequate" on the roster we should be a playoff team....Finally

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

That Denver team was 8-8 and their offense was horrible - scratching out miracle victories after 3.75 quarters of miserable play. I know Tebow had God on his side, but I don't expect that'll be the case for the Bills QB, whoever it ends up being.

LOL! I concur... :thumbsup:

I threw that out there as an EXTREME example. Teams did have trouble stopping them for a while, which eventually ended. I give John Fox a lot of

credit. He's gone now from Denver I believe. Possibly seeing the hand writing on the wall re: Manning?

Agree & don't see it happening. Great coaching needed just to make him close to adequate. A vet, plus draft a QB. And keep drafting until u hit. We drafted a 4th round talent in round 1 out of desperation (don't blame them) and it's obvious he is not an accurate passer. With the thoroughbreds we have @ WR it's a dam# shame we don't have an "adequate" QB to get them the ball. Draft Carden, Petty or Grayson & pick up a vet. Got to try something but the answer isn't on the roster. P.S. IMO Brett Hundley is an EJ clone so we shouldn't waste time on him. He can't hit a secondary receiver either.

We went 9-7 with a superior team & below avg. QB who is now retired. We're left w/ next to nothing. If we can get "adequate" on the roster we should be a playoff team....Finally

+ 1

Agree. They need to get who they can, hope for the best, and bring in the next guy. I would seriously draft QB each year until they get starting, backup and developing QB's on the roster. Make take a few years. I'm fine with that.

Let's hope they can stop trading away 1st round picks...

The best strategy now would be the same one Rex used to get to consecutive AFC title games with Mark Sanchez at the helm....

Ground and pound to the max and minimize the amout of passing EJ has to do initially,

Use play action and deep shots downfield to keep the defenses honest,

Let the defense and ST handle the rest.

That's the formula while EJ continues to develop! We're good for at least 10 wins and a wild card spot in 2015.

I think orton will be back. I don't know if that's good or not.

He'll be back on the couch where he belongs watching the games on TV :lol: