Wanna buy Rex's NJ house?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was born and raised in NJ (right near nyc) and while i agree it can be a nice state to live in, one can have a much better life in other parts of the country if he/she is able to obtain a decent paying job.

Property taxes and general cost of living (car insurance, food, restaurants, clothing, etc) is kinda nuts anywhere north of exit 9 on the turnpike. Also add in all the traffic and how much of your life is literally wasted in a car or commute, and the appeal of nyc goes away pretty quickly. Or at least it did for me.

And lastly, fo those of you who have traveled the world, im sure youll agree that NYC is not all that. Theres maybe 10-12 sq miles that is "nice" and the rest of nyc is nothing but filth and poverty. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I would tell someone not from NJ that its a much better state than people give it credit for. But ultimately its not my cup of tea

Edited by bobobonators

I was born and raised in NJ (right near nyc) and while i agree it can be a nice state to live in, one can have a much better life in other parts of the country if he/she is able to obtain a decent paying job.

Property taxes and general cost of living (car insurance, food, restaurants, clothing, etc) is kinda nuts anywhere north of exit 9 on the turnpike. Also add in all the traffic and how much of your life is literally wasted in a car or commute, and the appeal of nyc goes away pretty quickly. Or at least it did for me.

And lastly, fo those of you who have traveled the world, im sure youll agree that NYC is not all that. Theres maybe 10-12 sq miles that is "nice" and the rest of nyc is nothing but filth and poverty. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I would tell someone not from NJ that its a much better state than people give it credit for. But ultimately its not my cup of tea

I concluded a long time ago that if you aren't making a salary in the 7 figures, NYC is not a great place to live. It most certainly can be wonderful for those who can afford to live there while maintaing a decent/high standard of living though.

Really, this is true of any major city, but NYC in particular.

Looks nice, but NJ real estate appears to be way overpriced. That's under a mill here.

What, in the name of all things holy, would inspire you to compare real estate in Buffalo to northern Nj? Seriously. This same house would be "under a mill" in New Mexico too. Why? Think about it.

I love Bills fans =) so cute... Like a puppy

I concluded a long time ago that if you aren't making a salary in the 7 figures, NYC is not a great place to live. It most certainly can be wonderful for those who can afford to live there while maintaing a decent/high standard of living though.

Really, this is true of any major city, but NYC in particular.

7 figure salary for a "decent" standard of living in ny???? I want to see your tailgate party man!

What, in the name of all things holy, would inspire you to compare real estate in Buffalo to northern Nj? Seriously. This same house would be "under a mill" in New Mexico too. Why? Think about it.

I can build that house on a swampy landfill in Guatemala for under $250k. Therefore it's stupidly overpriced. Stupid.

I can build that house on a swampy landfill in Guatemala for under $250k. Therefore it's stupidly overpriced. Stupid.

Imagine if the location of a home had an effect on the price? That would be crazy, like if it was 20 minutes from NYC as opposed to in a toilet bowl that gets 3ft snow storms every other week in the winter. But things don't work that way. Go Bills!!!!!

Imagine if the location of a home had an effect on the price? That would be crazy, like if it was 20 minutes from NYC as opposed to in a toilet bowl that gets 3ft snow storms every other week in the winter. But things don't work that way. Go Bills!!!!!

Alright! No snow in Guatemala.. I wonder if I can buy a helicopter with all the money I will save?

Since I live outside dc, if decent lifestyle salary in ny is seven figures, dc must at least be 750k.

I wonder if I can get cable in my just as nice as Rex's house on a Guatemalan landfill

Alright! No snow in Guatemala.. I wonder if I can buy a helicopter with all the money I will save?

Since I live outside dc, if decent lifestyle salary in ny is seven figures, dc must at least be 750k.

I wonder if I can get cable in my just as nice as Rex's house on a Guatemalan landfill

Ha Ha. I lived in DC for like 13 years; it's a hell of a lot cheaper there than in NYC, for sure.

Hmmm... The implication is if you're from western New York you don't understand the impact location has on real estate price? Could be. I grew up there but certainly didn't ever consider the comps is Long Island compared to Batavia.

Either way the link attached is a much better example of nothing special. (great point of reference!) A run of the mill 30% smaller vinyl sided attempt at looking larger than it is, under 3 ft of lake effect snow, in the middle of nowhere with no mass transit and a 0 walkability score. Where do they get off charging $700 for that outside of East Aurora???

OK get me 10 acres land with a 1 acre pond in Jersey for the EA house price. Heavy metal settling ponds don't count. mass transit? Walkability score? Who cares? I have a car. Amazing how much freedom of movement not having 30 million people in your backyard allows.

OK get me 10 acres land with a 1 acre pond in Jersey for the EA house price. Heavy metal settling ponds don't count. mass transit? Walkability score? Who cares? I have a car. Amazing how much freedom of movement not having 30 million people in your backyard allows.

Based on your comments, Jim, if you are really in Anchorage, I would say you chose well.

I don't live in Buffalo

Everyone knows why it is priced that way.

Classy though.

You know nothing about NJ. All you know is the hellhole that the area right across from NYC. Anything above the GWB and the southern half of NJ are quite nice. The town Alpine is the wealthiest zip code in the US according to a Forbes report in 2012...yeah, you're right, it's a sh*thole.

You know nothing about NJ. I live in (one of) the area(s) right across from NYC and it is beautiful.

I kinda like Rex's old house. It doesn't have that McMansion look even though it was built only seven years ago.

If people want to make comparisons, here's what a similar (sq footage, bath/bed, not a McMansion) house in Syracuse would cost...

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/9-Brattle-Rd_Syracuse_NY_13203_M48325-32215?row=19

Why wouldn't a heavy metal settling pond count?

If you think the smaller house in the middle of nowhere with no mass transit in a much less desirable place to live discount is good now, imagine if the pond is a heavy metal settling pond.... Say like Lake Erie water even...?

ANOTHER DISCOUNT!!!

I kinda like Rex's old house. It doesn't have that McMansion look even though it was built only seven years ago.

If people want to make comparisons, here's what a similar (sq footage, bath/bed, not a McMansion) house in Syracuse would cost...

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/9-Brattle-Rd_Syracuse_NY_13203_M48325-32215?row=19

Cool house

Only 10-12 sq miles is nice and the rest is "filth and poverty"? The city is 300 square miles!

Come on! You must not have gotten into the city much (other than St. Pat's day and the clubs downtown).

Check out the prices of apratments in places like Williamsburgh, Prospect Park, Park Slope, Red Hook; even Bed Stuy, Ridgewood, and Astoria are through the roof. Harlem is built up significantly. The lower East Side is over 1000 a sq foot for a tiny 2 bedroom.

Only 10-12 sq miles is nice and the rest is "filth and poverty"? The city is 300 square miles!

Come on! You must not have gotten into the city much (other than St. Pat's day and the clubs downtown).

Check out the prices of apratments in places like Williamsburgh, Prospect Park, Park Slope, Red Hook; even Bed Stuy, Ridgewood, and Astoria are through the roof. Harlem is built up significantly. The lower East Side is over 1000 a sq foot for a tiny 2 bedroom.

I work in Chelsea and I've also worked in midtown and I've also lived in the UWS and I've been to every square inch of Manhattan and all the boroughs.

And Manhattan itself is only about 23 square miles - and yes, the rest of NY's boroughs are nothing but 2-3 nice blocks (not miles - blocks) surrounded by trash.

But again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so no sense in going back and forth about this. You like it - awesome.

Edited by bobobonators

I work in Chelsea and I've also worked in midtown and I've also lived in the UWS and I've been to every square inch of Manhattan and all the boroughs.

And Manhattan itself is only about 23 square miles - and yes, the rest of NY's boroughs are nothing but 2-3 nice blocks (not miles - blocks) surrounded by trash.

But again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so no sense in going back and forth about this. You like it - awesome.

Wow. OK!