Chris Kelsay's hunting trip

YoloinOhio

Everyone should have to field dress a deer or pheasant before they're ever allowed to eat a steak or chicken they buy at a supermarket.

Does everyone need to put together an automobile piece by piece before they're allowed to drive, also? What a ridiculous statement.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone should have to field dress a deer or pheasant before they're ever allowed to eat a steak or chicken they buy at a supermarket.

What is a field dress ? Is this like cleaning a fish ? No thanks, I'm an indoor cat who has zero desire to put blade or bullet to a live animal.

Hunters w excess who want to sell product over the grocery store method I support but it ain't for me jack.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

AND THE CURSE ENDS!!!

Agree 100%!!! I whitetail hunt in PA, and recently went on an elk hunt in CO. Hunting CO was insane, the combination if altitude, terrain, and the size of the wilderness really added a level of difficulty that you can't find here!

Man that sounds awesome. I'm in New York and some day will get out west. I'd have to go unguided though...just don't have the type of cash for that. Hope you had success, which by the way, doesn't have to end with a kill.

Moose is way better.

I have to agree with Jim on this one, love me some moose. Side note: My son, who has 3 weeks left of boot camp in Great Lakes told me that once he gets out (Got accepted in the Navys Nuclear Program) he's taking me on hunt up in Alaska. I get a three quarter stiffy just thinking about it!

Does everyone need to put together an automobile piece by piece before they're allowed to drive, also? What a ridiculous statement.

Yours is the ridiculous statement. People should have to change a tire on a car before they're allowed to drive. IMHO.

What is a field dress ? Is this like cleaning a fish ? No thanks, I'm an indoor cat who has zero desire to put blade or bullet to a live animal.

Hunters w excess who want to sell product over the grocery store method I support but it ain't for me jack.

Yes.

My statement was just a reaction to the sanctimonious, condescending meat eaters who don't know how their sausage is made, and wouldn't deign to find out either. Like William Burroughs said, "Naked Lunch - when you realize what's on the end of your fork."

Yours is the ridiculous statement. People should have to change a tire on a car before they're allowed to drive. IMHO.

Yes.

My statement was just a reaction to the sanctimonious, condescending meat eaters who don't know how their sausage is made, and wouldn't deign to find out either. Like William Burroughs said, "Naked Lunch - when you realize what's on the end of your fork."

Personally, I like to cut my venison with angus beef suet for sausage. And I agree, changing a tire, checking/adding fluids, changing a fuse, are all essentials that I made sure my daughter knows how to do.

Man that sounds awesome. I'm in New York and some day will get out west. I'd have to go unguided though...just don't have the type of cash for that. Hope you had success, which by the way, doesn't have to end with a kill.

I have to agree with Jim on this one, love me some moose. Side note: My son, who has 3 weeks left of boot camp in Great Lakes told me that once he gets out (Got accepted in the Navys Nuclear Program) he's taking me on hunt up in Alaska. I get a three quarter stiffy just thinking about it!

Doe's your son know where in Alaska you're going?

This idiotic statement always makes me cringe. Unless you have never eaten meat or worn leather, stop with the "the animal should have a gun" crap. Is it more noble to buy your meat after some anonymous factory worker kills your dinner? I'm certainly not in favor of canned hunts, but hunting and eating what you kill should not be viewed as something negative.

You've missed the point entirely.

Killing animals to eat and survive is one thing. Doing it for "sport" is disgusting.

Do you understand the difference?

Try it sometime and you'll see. Strategy, patience, endurance, skill, strength and some luck.

Try chess. It requires much more strategy, patience, endurance, and skill.

It's a lot less messy too.

what about milf hunting?

MILF hunting is entirely different and only a metaphor.

MILF hunting is not only acceptable, it is encouraged, and at times can be a very fun, challenging, and rewarding sport.

:w00t:

I assume you are a vegetarian?

No, I'm not. I also don't kill living things for sport.

You've missed the point entirely.

Killing animals to eat and survive is one thing. Doing it for "sport" is disgusting.

Do you understand the difference?

"Unless what you're hunting has a rifle too, and knows how to use it, it isn't a sport."

I understand that your post made no clarification regarding eating the animal that you hunt. I eat everything that I hunt and still consider it a sport. Should football and baseball players have to face an armed cow before using it's skin for a ball?

Who called it a sport? Did'nt see that post. I hunt to feed my family. Good clean meat, Antibiotic free, Hormone free, and processed by me. Seen beef prices lately? I have 5 to feed.

The distinction between hunting for sport (what Kelsay is doing...you think he's trying to save some cash at the butcher?) and hunting to survive has been made multiple times in this thread already.

I make this distinction myself and consider it an important one.

If you are hunting to feed your family, go for it. I hope you try to use all of the animal and don't waste anything if possible.

"Unless what you're hunting has a rifle too, and knows how to use it, it isn't a sport."

I understand that your post made no clarification regarding eating the animal that you hunt. I eat everything that I hunt and still consider it a sport. Should football and baseball players have to face an armed cow before using it's skin for a ball?

No. That's because they aren't killing anything.

Get it?

I hope he mounted that beautiful head.

Oh come on man. This is a family-friendly forum.

Besides, I believe that sort of thing is only legal in Thailand, and parts of Papua New Guinea.

Edited by Stopthepain

You do realize that the cows used to make footballs and baseballs are killed right? There aren't herds of cows walking around with football shaped skin grafts.

Yes. Look. It's a reality that humans kill animals for all kinds of reasons, some of which are "good."

Hell, killing animals (and people) along with other forms of brutality are the hallmarks of Western Civilization. To name one example, where would this country be without a rich heritage of slavery, child labor, and government endorsed genocide? Not to mention a major war every 20 years or so?

It's just that some people find killing animals for pleasure to be disgusting.

You have indicated that you do it for sustenance. I don't have a problem with that.

The distinction between hunting for sport (what Kelsay is doing...you think he's trying to save some cash at the butcher?) and hunting to survive has been made multiple times in this thread already.

I make this distinction myself and consider it an important one.

If you are hunting to feed your family, go for it. I hope you try to use all of the animal and don't waste anything if possible.

You can stop by and pick up the gut pile anytime.

Doe's your son know where in Alaska you're going?

No...just a general statement he's made to me a few times. Alaska is a big place and I'm sure it's totally different depending on where and when we would go.

Its more of dream scenario he has and would hope that it comes true someday.

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated...wouldn't be for a few years tho.

For those who want to know...the bison was killed with a bow in Texas. He is using the meat and it will be going into his freezer.

I get this information directly from him should you need to know my source.

Get a grip people hunting is not the devil and you all need to know how your chicken, pork and beef is harvested.

Yes. Look. It's a reality that humans kill animals for all kinds of reasons, some of which are "good."

Hell, killing animals (and people) along with other forms of brutality are the hallmarks of Western Civilization. To name one example, where would this country be without a rich heritage of slavery, child labor, and government endorsed genocide? Not to mention a major war every 20 years or so?

You have indicated that you do it for sustenance. I don't have a problem with that.

I bet the furry girls in your Poli Sci class just eat this s@#$ up, don't they?

I have a serious question for you. Are you a vegetarian? Since you feel that killing animals is a form of brutality I would have to assume that you are vegetarian and do not use any form of leather. Or are you just a hypocrit that is ok with others commiting "acts of brutality" for your benefit?