Now THAT'S a halftime show.

_BiB_

You are dead on. 

Everyone who thinks that the halftime show was so great, has to remember that some of the songs are now nearing 40 years old(Guns n Roses covered “Live and Let Die” 20 years ago).  For all you baby boomers, that is the equivalent of you having to listen to the big band sounds of the 30's and 40's.  Could you imagine having to listen to Benny Goodman? 

Think how you felt when everyone told you how great that music was and how your music is crap.  Everyone always thinks that their generations’ music is the best and everyone else’s is crap. 

Bottom line is that music is a young person’s game and watching ageing stars, like Paul McCartney was not only boring but painful.

231240[/snapback]

i'm totally up on new indie music and have lots of friends in that segment of the music industry, and i'd love to have seen benny goodman. what the kids are listening to isn't the only thing that's good, you know ...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm totally up on new indie music and have lots of friends in that segment of the music industry, and i'd love to have seen benny goodman. what the kids are listening to isn't the only thing that's good, you know ...

231868[/snapback]

Bennie Goodman would of been great to see. So would of John Coltrane. Elvis Presley. Louis Armstrong. Robert Johnson. Billie Holliday. Charlie Parker. Vivaldi. Beethoven. Wagner. Great music is timeless

I stated in this thread earlier: I thought it was a terrific halftime show. And I'm the legal counsel of the 1969 Club, born just as the Beatles were hitting their apex.

My tastes run more toward 80's music and Barenaked Ladies, but I was raised on country and the Beatles and Motown (not to mention the Beach Boys and Elvis), so I'm more than familiar with these songs. "Hey Jude" was the perfect closer, I thought, because it got the crowd involved (even though "Live and Let Die" would be a stronger finish).

Mike

Learn to spell "can't", the use of "a while", and to throw a period at the end of a sentence and I'll book my lesson.

231816[/snapback]

And knowledgeable is spelled with a "g" (Pete did it in two separate posts!) He's going to regret offering "English lessons" with the Grammar Patrol on duty... :w00t:

We are all worried about the gov't socializing us when the NFL is doing it right before our eyes!

I surely hope that PMc didn't have to change his words?

231826[/snapback]

Is that you ExiledInIllinois? I thought you were on vacation...

Bennie Goodman would of been great to see.  So would of John Coltrane. Elvis Presley.  Louis Armstrong.  Robert Johnson.  Billie Holliday.  Charlie Parker.  Vivaldi.  Beethoven.  Wagner.  Great music is timeless

231873[/snapback]

That's "Benny Goodman would have been great to see. So would [no of] John Coltrane..."

:w00t:

Hey, Paul, this is a long overdue response to your post...and having read a few of the responses, I'll at least tell you I thought he not only did a great job, but I particularly appreciated the showmanship associated with closing out with "Hey, Jude." Getting all those fans to sing with him at the end must be one of the greatest things a performer can experience. Interesting how one or two felt listening to him was mundane, which is naturally their choice.

But in the end, no current band or performer today will stand the test of time like The Beatles, The Who, The Stones...even Kiss...and at the same token, Benny Goodman, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett. I know you're a Norah Jones fan, and I greatly urge you to check out The Holly Cole Trio. Start with either "Girl Talk" or "Don't Smoke In Bed" and you'll be hooked. The woman must be able to sing seven octaves. They're from Canada, but we won't hold that against them.

231868[/snapback]

I think people are assuming I don't like other music or their music wasn't good. It is not about their music. The Beatles and Paul McCartney were one of the greatest bands. However, their time has past (not the music). It is like watching Unitas in a Chargers uniform or Thurman in a Dolphins uniform.

The songs he sang, were the lyrics altered by the NFL?  I heard something like the NFL had enbedded lyrics.  Is this true?

Was it the Doors that agreed to change it's lyrics for Ed Sullivan, than when live, they did the original words "Girl, we couldn't get much higher (Light My Fire)?"  Or was it a 'Stones song?  I thought they "towed the line?"

If this is true, I can't believe PMc actually agreed to it?

Of course, I didn't watch the show.  I turn it off at halftime. :w00t:

???

231824[/snapback]

It was the Doors.

Stones v. McCartney

I have seen the Stones in concert four times and McCartney during his last tour.

They are both great.

For those of you that are underestimating McCartney and the Beatles, there are very few people that have had as much influence on their profession as the Beatles and McCartney have had on popular music.

And by the way, McCartney kicked ass in concert when I saw him 2 and 1/2 years ago.

I thought wheeling some old dude out from the 60's was a buzz kill. Half time shows are always bad for some reason. Need someone or some band more current with more energy.

232059[/snapback]

Have some respect for your elders! :w00t: He's a legend and can still perform. "some old dude"?? WTF? His name is Paul McCartney and he was part of this band called the Beatles. I guess you never heard of them. :w00t: