Bills to go in little-talked-about direction at QB?

Rubes

Play Sanchez the first quarter. When th game is down at th end ply EJ as he is a better manager. Then have matt Moore as your changeup man.

Heck, play all three of them simultaneously in a triple-QB option attack. Fake the handoff to Sanchez and, while the DBs are preparing to catch the ball, Moore will shovel the ball to Manuel on a reverse.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that even a great defense gets you nowhere without at least a decent QB. Did you watch any of Arizona's games after Carson Palmer went down?

I am not suggesting we go QBless. Like it or not the Bills will need to have at least two credible options for running this team. Right now, I do not think EJ has shown enough to be counted upon to be a QB capable of loading the team on his shoulders and carrying them to the playoffs. However, though his play has not made a believer out of me, he actually is obviously physically gifted (though he has not shown mentally he is at pro star levels), and relatively young (he has not even logged 16 starts so why be surprised he plays like a rookie). In addition to being young he has not yet been under the guidance of an offensively competent HC and OC.

He is worth a shot, but the Bills need to bring in another starter prospect (Hoyer, McCoy, whoever all strike me as relatively equally incompetent)

I am not arguing we do not need a QB or that we should avoid a bad QB.

I am arguing that with our primary focus for improving this team being to build a D which rivals the 2000 Ravens, it would mean that our new QB does not need to be a HOF level player like a Jim Kelly or Tom Brady, but instead "merely" needs to be a competent QB at the Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson level.

The good news is that the 2015 Bills goal is not to demand an SB win (it would be nice but no expectation) but instead simply make few enough mistakes for us to make the playoffs.

Why not simply make enough plays for them to make the playoffs?

I think the HC and OC positions have been upgraded to genuine NFL caliber level for the first time in over a decade. I for one expect those changes to have a significant impact on the on field results we see this year. I don't expect Rex and Roman to sit some of their more talented players out of spite like apparently Maroon did. I also think the HS JV playbook and play calling have been scrapped and we have coaches that have a genuine interest in winning every game with the best talent they have on hand. They're also being fed new talent by a football-focused front office. No more PepsiCola signings by Russ. No more Ralph is Cheap. If Rex could get to the AFCC game twice with Sanchize, he should be able to do at least as well with EJ, or AJ, or DJ, or FJ, or BlueJay, or NoJ.

That's just my opinion, and you're entitled to it.

Here's somebody we might be able to get. Though he only has four passes going for over 50 yards in the air, maybe with an off-season strength and conditioning program, he might get to improve on that. :unsure:

EJ looks pretty sweet in that highlight video. Of course if you made a lowlight video it would be a disaster.

We really did a poor job of giving him the best chance to succeed in his first two years. After watching the video is pretty apparent that EJ thrives off of play action passes....too bad the bills never could get a run game going the last two years.

Edited by TallskiWallski83

I think the HC and OC positions have been upgraded to genuine NFL caliber level for the first time in over a decade. I for one expect those changes to have a significant impact on the on field results we see this year. I don't expect Rex and Roman to sit some of their more talented players out of spite like apparently Maroon did. I also think the HS JV playbook and play calling have been scrapped and we have coaches that have a genuine interest in winning every game with the best talent they have on hand. They're also being fed new talent by a football-focused front office. No more PepsiCola signings by Russ. No more Ralph is Cheap. If Rex could get to the AFCC game twice with Sanchize, he should be able to do at least as well with EJ, or AJ, or DJ, or FJ, or BlueJay, or NoJ.

I "take exception" to Hp saying that the Bills need to make few enough mistakes to make the playoffs. I prefer the outlook that the team will make enough positive plays.

I suspect you are right. My dumb hope is that when the history of what actually happened with the Bills in 2014 and 2015 is written that the summary will be that the biggest improvement the Bills made from 14 to 15 is the addition by subtraction of getting rid of Doug Moron as HC.

Any way you cut it, the simple facts are that under DM and Hacketts guidance they took a team which was one of the most productive running games in 2013 and somehow under produced badly in 2014. These poor O results were somehow achieved despite significant production gains at WR from Watkins rookie year play.

I am pretty certain that EJ is likely a .500 quality QB in this league. A not great, but not bad rookie year for EJ in his injury marred season led to him being 2-2 before Moron panicked and benched him in favor of the about .500 producing QB Orton.

I think the smart road for the 2015 Bills is to focus on improving an already good D to great and hope that either EJ sitting on the bench improved his mind enough to rise a 2 games over the .500 QB he likely is on a team whose calling card is a shut down D.

EJ may well fail to even be adequate as his second learning year was mismanaged by DM/Hackett but by focusing on improving the D, it makes it even easier to choose Hoyer, McCoy, Gabbert or whomever as a solid #2 or potential replacement for EJ.

Except for one very bad game where he threw 4 INT's, Cousins looked like an NFL starter. He doesn't play scared with lots of dump offs. He has a good & accurate arm. I don't know if he'll ever be a great QB, but he could very well be a very good option for the Bills.

My 2nd choice would be Hoyer who, like Cousins, threw too many INT's but did win games especially with 4th Q comebacks. Some of his INT's were the result of a certain WR running the wrong routes.

Both of these QB's would come at a reasonable price & either would provide good training camp competition. Most importantly, they will both be available.

Ugh ohh. Let's see if another vague tweet can get this baby to 100 pages!

@KevinMassare: I'll have some updates to you guys tomorrow, stay tuned!

And called it:

@KevinMassare: Source: "I can't name names, but all avenues are being exhausted for QBs this offseason, we expect strong competition this season".

I "take exception" to Hp saying that the Bills need to make few enough mistakes to make the playoffs. I prefer the outlook that the team will make enough positive plays.

The make few offensive mistake model actually only likely works if your team are proactive monsters on D.

I am simply arguing that if the Bills see their route to glory as being dependent upon getting a QB then chances of success are small as either EJ needs to develop into a very good QB (possible but unlikely in what in essence will be his rookie year of fewer than 16 starts in his career) or instead find an existing QB from the available McCoys, Hoyers, etc.

Quite frankly these QBs are generally available because they failed elsewhere. As not likely as I think EJ is to be a star next year, think it is even less likely that any of the other available will be a QB capable of leading this team to the playoffs.

The best chance we have is to try to find a shut down corner and defensive depth so that this team can win with adequate at best QBing we can acquire.

And called it:

@KevinMassare: Source: "I can't name names, but all avenues are being exhausted for QBs this offseason, we expect strong competition this season".

All avenues are depressing. Teams don't give up on Qbs they have hope for.

Bring in a Locker type, have a fair competition with EJ, and hope one steps up. Both have talent and are still young.