Did Belicheck not using a timeout psyche out Carroll?

Proteus

Watching the end of the game I am sitting there thinking why is BB not calling a timeout right here saving an extra 30 seconds for Brady? It seemed like an obvious blunder by one of the great head coaches of all time. Maybe BB didn't call a timeout so the Seahawks wouldn't have time to think the play over and would do something stupid, like they did. Just another way BB may be smarter than everyone else.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe BB didn't call a timeout so the Seahawks wouldn't have time to think the play over and would do something stupid, like they did. Just another way BB may be smarter than everyone else.

Peter King alludes to this in today's MMQB:

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/02/super-bowl-49-patriots-defeat-seahawks/2/

One Patriot told me...he thought Belichick bypassed the timeout because the coach was comfortable defensively—as comfortable as he could be with who was on the field trying to stop Lynch—and that a timeout would have given Seattle a chance to stop and consider different plays, and why give the enemy more time to think?

By not calling timeout Belichick forced Carroll to make a quick decision, and Carroll outsmarted himself. He admitted he wanted to guarantee the team four shots at the TD and that's why they passed there; he didn't want to risk the run being stopped short on 2nd down and having to burn his last timeout. Follow it through; they use the timeout and then on 3rd down they almost have to throw because a running play can burn too much clock and then you're running a Chinese fire drill to line up and run the 4th down play.

While Carroll's reasoning is actually logical, the biggest problem I have is that it's based upon an expectation of failure. He shouldn't have worried about getting four shots, he should have used the Seahawks' strengths -- i.e., the legs of Lynch or Wilson.

Watching the end of the game I am sitting there thinking why is BB not calling a timeout right here saving an extra 30 seconds for Brady? It seemed like an obvious blunder by one of the great head coaches of all time. Maybe BB didn't call a timeout so the Seahawks wouldn't have time to think the play over and would do something stupid, like they did. Just another way BB may be smarter than everyone else.

I was thinking that.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2/2/7962403/super-bowl-2015-patriots-interception-seahawks-play-call

I asked Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia if his call was an attempt to induce the Seahawks to throw it, if he thought he could get them to throw it?

"We did," Patricia answered.

Defensive tackle Vince Wilfork said: "That was what we were hoping for in that situation. We have always done a good job here of taking tough situations and our coaching staff finding a way to turn the scheme in our favor."

Edited by Pneumonic

Seriously doubt that. The risk/reward ratio is just not there for that scenario.

As good of a coach as he is, he can still make mistakes. And not calling a timeout there was a huge blunder that he got away with because of that stupid play call.

BB blew it..... Got away with it and now looks like a genius???? Peter King is full of it. It was a mistake plane and simple. They have to use their 2 timeouts and try and stop Seattle. Worst case scenario is Seattle scores the last play of the game on 4th down. The expected scenario is 3 down with 55 seconds to go (as Seattle would have used their TO if 4th down).

Lucky doesn't begin to describe what happened.

BB blew it..... Got away with it and now looks like a genius???? Peter King is full of it. It was a mistake plane and simple. They have to use their 2 timeouts and try and stop Seattle. Worst case scenario is Seattle scores the last play of the game on 4th down. The expected scenario is 3 down with 55 seconds to go (as Seattle would have used their TO if 4th down).

Lucky doesn't begin to describe what happened.

Well said.

Is it possible that BB was saving the timeouts for his offense feeling that the Seahawks would run the same play and score? Some have suggested they would have just let the Seahawks score and go down and try to score themselves. I think this may be more likely strategically in BB's mind then just simply "blowing it". I would think he was two plays ahead and planning what he would do. I am sure he was as surprised as anyone that they got that turnover.

By not calling timeout Belichick forced Carroll to make a quick decision, and Carroll outsmarted himself. He admitted he wanted to guarantee the team four shots at the TD and that's why they passed there; he didn't want to risk the run being stopped short on 2nd down and having to burn his last timeout. Follow it through; they use the timeout and then on 3rd down they almost have to throw because a running play can burn too much clock and then you're running a Chinese fire drill to line up and run the 4th down play.

While Carroll's reasoning is actually logical, the biggest problem I have is that it's based upon an expectation of failure. He shouldn't have worried about getting four shots, he should have used the Seahawks' strengths -- i.e., the legs of Lynch or Wilson.

Exactly and Carroll admitted as much at the end taking responsibility and hey the rookie made a great play, not only stepping in front but actually catching the bullet... How many other DBs would have dropped that one as they were getting hit. They play DB for a reason, their hands prevented them from being WRs. Heckuv a catch for the rookie... no one could have expected that especially after he had been burned all game long.

I know people think he is a genius but to think he didn't call a timeout just to make the seahawks hurry up is crazy. He isn't soooooo good that he managed to know exactly what they were gonna do or make them rush. If the Seahawks were in such a hurry they would have ran the play quicker. They ticked the time all the way down so the Pats didn't have that much time left. They just called a terrible play. Possibly the worst play call in super bowl history. Any defense makes that interception in my opinion. The Cheaties just got lucky at the fact that the Seahawks screwed up royally

I know people think he is a genius but to think he didn't call a timeout just to make the seahawks hurry up is crazy. He isn't soooooo good that he managed to know exactly what they were gonna do or make them rush. If the Seahawks were in such a hurry they would have ran the play quicker. They ticked the time all the way down so the Pats didn't have that much time left. They just called a terrible play. Possibly the worst play call in super bowl history. Any defense makes that interception in my opinion. The Cheaties just got lucky at the fact that the Seahawks screwed up royally

Funny thing looking at the replay even if he catches it still dont think he scores.bevell was right he should have been more aggressive thru the ball, but was bevell wise to call a play to a rookie with super bowl on the line? Edited by JTSP

I love Brady and have all the respect in the world for BB, but he is the luckiest SOB On Earth.

If lynch scores like he should, there would have been no time left for Brady.

BB definitely screwed up by not calling a time out.

That play was a total fluke.

Edited by George C

Is it possible that BB was saving the timeouts for his offense feeling that the Seahawks would run the same play and score? Some have suggested they would have just let the Seahawks score and go down and try to score themselves. I think this may be more likely strategically in BB's mind then just simply "blowing it". I would think he was two plays ahead and planning what he would do. I am sure he was as surprised as anyone that they got that turnover.

Not a chance..... It was a mistake plain and and simple. Without the int, a TD is scored and max there is 25 seconds left (if scored on second down). Would they have then taken a timeout (if a run and no TD)? No BB had a brain cramp. The int was a fluke play and a colossal error by the Seahawks. BB deserves no credit.

Edited by Billsfan1972

He clearly and purposely did not call a TO. There was almost no chance Brady would get the ball back with enough time to do anything , no matter the outcome. Why do seahawks a favour and call TO so they can reset themselves? The goal line situation would determine the outcome. BB is very good at making calculations on the fly. A lesser coach may have called TO