NFL Comish Goodell declines Interview on NBC W/ Bob Costis

costas would just play to the goodell haters.. im sick of costas using the forum that he gets to lecture people i e : gun control.. costas is a self serving jerk.. just my opinion.

You bring up gun control without acknowledging that more Americans favor stronger controls than not.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're kidding, right? "His ideas"?

He's paid to say those things. He's also paid 30 million to be the focus of nutty fans who "hate" the NFL. It keeps the 32 men who run the league comfortably in their 32 individual mints printing free money.

Goodell had nothing to do with the decision to go to London.

Goodell had nothing to do with a push for 18 games.

Goodell had nothing to do with the NFL's decision to focus on defensive PI.

These are ALL decisions of the owners.

How can you possibly not know this?

I get that you are an all pro and have over 13k posts, but some of us need more than just your word. How do you know these ideas came only from the owners? Goodell could have come up with a couple of these ideas, or even the competition committee. You ask "How could you possibly not know this?". What I want to know is how can you possibly know this? People ask for links all the time. Can you provide some proof, or is it just your word we are banking on?

You bring up gun control without acknowledging that more Americans favor stronger controls than not.

It doesn't matter what your view is on gun control. A football game isn't the time, nor place to get on your soapbox and talk about gun control, for or against it.

Roger Goodell works for the owners. Until he starts making decisions that go against the majority of owners wishes, or the owners vote him out, he's staying.

I get that you are an all pro and have over 13k posts, but some of us need more than just your word. How do you know these ideas came only from the owners? Goodell could have come up with a couple of these ideas, or even the competition committee. You ask "How could you possibly not know this?". What I want to know is how can you possibly know this? People ask for links all the time. Can you provide some proof, or is it just your word we are banking on?

The competiton committee votes on rule changes. Goodell is not on the competition committee.

It was widely reported that, before the last CBA, the owners were pushing for an 18 game season. It was again reported after the owners' meeting last June.

Every media outlet reported that the owners want not only games in London, but an NFL team in London.

Do you really think that Goodell came up with those ideas? And that he presented them to otherwise disinterested owners who thn said, "hey, those are great ideas that may even bring in more revenue!. Thanks Roger".

Obviously that makes little sense.

Never before this year has Goodell really demonstrated his worth to the owners than he has this year. Ask Biscotti, who was also accused of concealing the video evidence of Rice's spousal abuse and lobbying Goodell for only a 2 game.suspension.

The competiton committee votes on rule changes. Goodell is not on the competition committee.

It was widely reported that, before the last CBA, the owners were pushing for an 18 game season. It was again reported after the owners' meeting last June.

Every media outlet reported that the owners want not only games in London, but an NFL team in London.

Do you really think that Goodell came up with those ideas? And that he presented them to otherwise disinterested owners who thn said, "hey, those are great ideas that may even bring in more revenue!. Thanks Roger".

Obviously that makes little sense.

Never before this year has Goodell really demonstrated his worth to the owners than he has this year. Ask Biscotti, who was also accused of concealing the video evidence of Rice's spousal abuse and lobbying Goodell for only a 2 game.suspension.

Do I think it's possible that Goodell came up with any of these ideas? Yes, I think it's possible. And Why would the owners be disinterested? As to your point that this " Obviously that makes little sense." that is an opinion you express and not everyone agrees. You will not get me to agree that Goodell has no say so in any of this. I am quite sure he has input in some of these decisions. Unless you can PROVE he doesn't, then you are just giving an opinion like everyone else, and it's not any more valid than any of ours. JMO.

Do I think it's possible that Goodell came up with any of these ideas? Yes, I think it's possible. And Why would the owners be disinterested? As to your point that this " Obviously that makes little sense." that is an opinion you express and not everyone agrees. You will not get me to agree that Goodell has no say so in any of this. I am quite sure he has input in some of these decisions. Unless you can PROVE he doesn't, then you are just giving an opinion like everyone else, and it's not any more valid than any of ours. JMO.

Even if the owners somehow never thought up these ideas themselves (that's the part that is impossible for me to imagine and therefore makes little sense), nothing in the NFL gets done without the owners' say so. The owners expanded the season more than once well before Goodell was commissioner. They expanded the league in the US (and developed NFL Europe) well before Goodell was commissioner.

But hey, if you want to believe that Goodell actually started the conversation about 18 games or expanding overseas, well....I won't stop you.

He doesn't get a vote on these decisions, so it doesn't matter what his true thoughts or suggestions are anyway.

My issue is that he fines Lynch for not talking to the media, but has no problem ducking public spotlight when its his turn. He's happy to be in front of the camera when things are going well, but when he's under fire, he hides under his desk.

Even if the owners somehow never thought up these ideas themselves (that's the part that is impossible for me to imagine and therefore makes little sense), nothing in the NFL gets done without the owners' say so. The owners expanded the season more than once well before Goodell was commissioner. They expanded the league in the US (and developed NFL Europe) well before Goodell was commissioner.

But hey, if you want to believe that Goodell actually started the conversation about 18 games or expanding overseas, well....I won't stop you.

He doesn't get a vote on these decisions, so it doesn't matter what his true thoughts or suggestions are anyway.

Regardless of who came up with which ideas, the fact is that as commissioner, Roger Goodell is the chief executive of the NFL. You seem to be characterizing him as a mere figurehead (or, as you put it, "punching bag") without responsibilities, or power beyond being the owner's mouthpiece. (As if the owners are of one mind.) This is far from true. Inasmuch as Goodell answers to the owners, the owners do also, in various capacities, answer to him.

And, even if such things as league expansion, playing in London, or lengthening the season were not his ideas (obviously, they weren't), as the chief executive of the NFL, it is his responsibility to facilitate, and execute the league's agenda. That is no wall task, and clearly, in these terms, he has done a great job-- fan opinion notwithstanding. And certainly, there are far more important, albeit less newsworthy, responsibilities such as marketing strategy, and other things related to the NFL's remarkable growth rate that Goodell oversees, and have his ideas, and input all over them. That-- more than being an effective punching bag-- is what makes him valuable to owners.

My issue is that he fines Lynch for not talking to the media, but has no problem ducking public spotlight when its his turn. He's happy to be in front of the camera when things are going well, but when he's under fire, he hides under his desk.

Talking to the media isn't in his contract. But, declining an interview regarding "deflate gate" on Superbowl Sunday, after he had already scheduled an open press conference on the subject is hardly hiding under his desk. Fining players for breach of contract is, in reality, part of his job.

Regardless of who came up with which ideas, the fact is that as commissioner, Roger Goodell is the chief executive of the NFL. You seem to be characterizing him as a mere figurehead (or, as you put it, "punching bag") without responsibilities, or power beyond being the owner's mouthpiece. (As if the owners are of one mind.) This is far from true. Inasmuch as Goodell answers to the owners, the owners do also, in various capacities, answer to him.

And, even if such things as league expansion, playing in London, or lengthening the season were not his ideas (obviously, they weren't), as the chief executive of the NFL, it is his responsibility to facilitate, and execute the league's agenda. That is no wall task, and clearly, in these terms, he has done a great job-- fan opinion notwithstanding. And certainly, there are far more important, albeit less newsworthy, responsibilities such as marketing strategy, and other things related to the NFL's remarkable growth rate that Goodell oversees, and have his ideas, and input all over them. That-- more than being an effective punching bag-- is what makes him valuable to owners.

Talking to the media isn't in his contract. But, declining an interview regarding "deflate gate" on Superbowl Sunday, after he had already scheduled an open press conference on the subject is hardly hiding under his desk. Fining players for breach of contract is, in reality, part of his job.

I agree with this paragraph and have stated as much in the past. But he is an executive, and the face of the business. He executes the will of the "board of directors". Fans' distaste for the direction of the NFL ("too greedy", etc) are rooted in the decisions made by these men in their meetings, not by decisions independently conceived and acted upon by Goodell. They aren't paying him to decide the future of the NFL. They pay him to carry out their plans--and to take the blame when their decisions turn bad.