golf fans -- is Tiger Woods done?

truth on hold

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The minimum age for the Champions Tour is 50.  At any rate, it's good too see Tiger back on the PGA tour and healthy.

He has my fan-loyalty and total gratitude for giving me the best golfing I never dreamed possible for over a decade.

I hope he can ride out his next 20 or so years as a good ambassador for the game and maybe give us some hope, I don't want to feel sorry for him.

Nice to see Tiger get through a legitimate tournament and make the cut.  Still think those expecting him to return to "prominence" on the tour are fooling themselves, but it would be cool to see him on the 1st or 2nd page of a leaderboard at a major.

1 hour ago, eball said:

Nice to see Tiger get through a legitimate tournament and make the cut.  Still think those expecting him to return to "prominence" on the tour are fooling themselves, but it would be cool to see him on the 1st or 2nd page of a leaderboard at a major.

This sums up how I feel, pretty much.  But I do think - if he can stay healthy - that he's a legitimate threat to win another major.  I was very happy to see him play four complete rounds and I hope he's around for another 20 years.

It's still a massive climb to get to competing on Sunday of a Major.... i'll hold out a slim sliver of hope this can happen once over the next 5 years, Tom Watson had a course designed perfect for him and almost pulled off a win...

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/tiger-woods-brings-bump-to-television-ratings-and-soars-up-world-rankings/

Tiger Woods, predictably, brought some big-time ratings to the 2018 Farmers Insurance Open where he finished 3 under and T23 on the week. Woods only hit 17 fairways over his four rounds, but he scored well and turned a made cut on the number into a successful week.

It was a great week for those televising his performances, too.

CBS Sports received a 2.3 rating and 5 share on Saturday and a 2.9 rating and 6 share for Sunday in the final round. Here's how you decipher those numbers, according to GolfWeek.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2018-02-19 at 3:46 PM, Fadingpain said:

What's with the obsession with Tiger?

He's entitled to live a private life of alcoholism, debauchery, and anal sex with prostitutes, isn't he?

Give the dude some space!

Tiger was the only golfer worth tuning in to watch for hours

Oldies pretend they cared about Jack but they didn’t watch golf or Jack play

Edited by row_33

2018 Honda Classic - Tiger Woods Posts 1-Under 69 But So Close To Being Stupid Good | Golf Channel

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. – After an uncharacteristic misfire, Tiger Woods was standing awkwardly on a downslope behind the 15th green, a bunker directly in front of him, water looming long.

He widened his stance, shifted his weight forward and hit what he thought was the perfect, high, soft flop shot into a 15-mph wind. There was maybe a 3-foot circle in which he could land his ball, and Woods missed that mark by a few inches, his ball agonizingly hanging up in the rough just over the bunker. He dropped his club, grimaced and barked an expletive loud enough for those in Ponte Vedra Beach to hear.

“That would have been stupid-good,” said his playing partner, Jason Dufner.

But it epitomized Woods’ day at the Honda Classic – on so many holes, he was mere inches from a round that could have been “stupid-good,” or at least his best of the year. Instead, he settled for a 1-under 69 – his first round in the 60s in nine attempts this season – and a spot among the top 11 heading into the final round at PGA National.

“Today was the highest score I could have possibly shot,” he said afterward. “I really hit it good.”

Those who so easily dismissed Woods as too old and too broken and too far removed from his glory days are surely sweating now.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Justin Thomas wins playoff, Tiger Woods 12th at Honda Classic | Golf Channel

TT postscript: Tiger Woods gaining confidence with 12th place finish | Golf Channel

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. – Here are some observations after watching Tiger Woods’ shoot even-par 70 Sunday at the Honda Classic to finish 12th.

• Tiger is close. He’s close to having a chance to win again. He didn’t have to say that. We saw it this week on a very, very difficult Champion Course at PGA National. The amazing return of swing speed (128 mph) makes him competitive with the game’s longest hitters. So does the confidence he’s gaining with that big stick with his new and improved control. There aren’t many big misses anymore. His improved iron play, with better distance control, makes him look like he could actually be dangerous again going to Augusta National. His really sharp short game just needs a hot putter to give him a chance at the Masters.

• There were missed opportunities on the weekend. Lots of them. Tiger’s birdie at the eighth Sunday had you thinking maybe, just maybe, something special was possible on the back nine. He was within four shots of the lead there, but hopes pretty much flat-lined when he missed the ninth green to the right from 130 yards and couldn’t get up and down, missing a 4-footer for par. He made the turn five shots back, but there wasn’t a realistic chance after that miss.