New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

I don't think a disqualification from the game is too severe for this type of thing.

It won't happen though.

The NFL's approach to this should be absolute no tolerance.

You get caught deliberately cheating in this type of pre-meditated way in an effort to skew the outcome of the game, you get disqualified...and lose draft picks...and get fined...and yes, a suspension for the HC is not out of line either.

You just can't have teams cheating if you want to maintain integrity in the game.

If these accusations are true, then the only suitable punishment would be to permanently ban Belicheck from the NFL, effective immediately. Im pretty sure this would not be his first violation.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is so stupid

I have an idea, why doesn't the NFL actually have league officials in charge of game balls starting 3 hour prior to the game.

and exactly why is this a big news story...oh yeah, because people now think NE cheated. Yep that's why they crushed Indy 45-7!

It's a big story because the NFL has admitted it is investigating it. Pats fans are outraged that people are writing and talking about it, but that's why.

This could be a great game . I'm not sure I care anymore as it feels ... Off .

Between officiating and little billy and it's a high stakes billionaires game . It's easy to bet on a pure game but .. I have no idea what to think anymore . Feeling foolish and a sucker . Hopefully everyone is tired of being hoodwinked . I never hated the dolphins like this . I respected them and wanted to win against them as a measuring stick . It's hard to think that way against the pats and it frustrates people.

makes me very happy we have Rex Ryan

Man, if I was the new HC of the Bills, I would be approaching the Patriots games a bit differently, for sure.

Not sure what you can do, other than remind officials to do their job (did you check the ball PSI?) and have your own little "investigation committee" monitoring airwaves in the stadium, visually monitoring anything in the Patriots booth or sideline...just keep an eye on those bastards! They are probably up to something.

As per ESPN:

"I think I've heard it all at this point ... it's ridiculous," Brady said Monday morning during his weekly interview with Boston radio station WEEI. "I don't even respond to stuff like this."

SMART BOY, Brady.

Standard Operating Procedure:

Rule 1: Admit nothing

Rule 2: Deny Everything

Rule 3: Make counter-accusations

Even old Lance had the world convinced he was not a cheater, vehemently and infamously attacking many famous cycling journalists around the world. "Why would I do something that violent and harmful to my own body!? Are you insane? I'm an elite athlete, why would I choose to physically hurt myself?!"

Ha ha ha.....good one Lance!

Would it be okay if you were playing poker with a guy who cheated on a few hands but won most of the pots he collected legitimately? Or a golfer who hits 50 good shots but cheated on his lie on a few of them? Hell no. He's a cheater. It's the worst thing you can be in a competition, especially for money.

People who look for and take every single advantage they can within the rules are fierce competitors.

People who look for that, AND take a bunch of advantages outside of the rules are scumbag cheaters.

100%.

Once you bend the rules to get an edge once, it becomes easier and easier to do and rationalize it to yourself that "it didn't matter / wasn't really cheating". They were better than the Colts, everyone knew it going in, but Bellicheat still wanted to make sure he had an advantage. Why not? He gets away with it every time they do it, might as well double down on it. This is a common syndrome of pathological liars and sociopaths -- both of which Bellycheat most assuredly is.

Bellycheat is exactly who we thought he was: a dirty, scumbag cheater, and the *pats are the worst part of the NFL.

Citing league sources, Bob Kravitz of WTHR-TV in Indianapolis, said "the NFL was investigating the possibility the Patriots deflated football Sunday night." Kravitz, a former Indianapolis Star columnist, tweeted that "at one point the officials took a ball out of play and weighed it."

weighed it ??.....i assure you, they did not have a scale with the sensitivity/accuracy to measure an nfl ball with 12.5-13.5 PSI vs one underinflated. plus the ball was soaking wet, it was probably heavier than a dry one.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/deflating-feeling--report-puts-patriots-on-defensive-over-footballs--culture-since-spygate-scandal-080638511.html

To concoct a plan that relies on busy attendants altering the ball during the rush of a game in the middle of a stadium with dozens of cameras would be beyond brazen. One false move and a ball could be significantly deflated and cause the refs to realize what is happening. Assuming the attendants would maintain their silence later is even riskier.

To concoct a plan that relies on busy attendants altering the ball during the rush of a game in the middle of a stadium with dozens of cameras would be beyond brazen. One false move and a ball could be significantly deflated and cause the refs to realize what is happening. Assuming the attendants would maintain their silence later is even riskier.

Sociopaths, which Bellicheat most assuredly is, don't think in those terms. There is nothing "brazen" about it when you think you're in the right and won't get caught. Nothing at all.

Regardless of the impact the deflated balls would have...it makes you wonder what doesn't get detected. They're the only team that needs a forensics team to go through and make sure they're not up to some bullsh*t

Exactly. Deflate-gate seems silly when considering the game outcome, but to ignore it is to miss the point. If The pats cheated, then it could be a scary culture issue. Edited by YoloinOhio

Citing league sources, Bob Kravitz of WTHR-TV in Indianapolis, said "the NFL was investigating the possibility the Patriots deflated football Sunday night." Kravitz, a former Indianapolis Star columnist, tweeted that "at one point the officials took a ball out of play and weighed it."

weighed it ??.....i assure you, they did not have a scale with the sensitivity/accuracy to measure an nfl ball with 12.5-13.5 PSI vs one underinflated. plus the ball was soaking wet, it was probably heavier than a dry one.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/deflating-feeling--report-puts-patriots-on-defensive-over-footballs--culture-since-spygate-scandal-080638511.html

I agree. More often than not, what people tend to ascribe to conspiracy is really only due to incompetency or ignorance. No evidence here that the Patriots actually did anything intentionally unethical. But because they DID in the past, it is now assumed that anything they can twist and distort to their advantage via ultra devious conspiratorial plotting, they will. I suspect nothing will come of this one though.

a homer former indy newspaper man makes an accusation.

league acknowledges they are checking it out (god forbid they ignore this conspiracy)

haters immediately reach guilty verdict

nevermind that it all started because on the first offensive play from scrimmage in the third quarter, following a kick return, referee Walt Anderson briefly stopped play to replace a football which could have been related to this issue. although retired ref Mike Carey — serving as an analyst for CBS — suggested officials were customarily swapping one used for the kickoff with another designated for game action.

league acknowledges they are checking it out (god forbid they ignore this conspiracy)

nevermind that it all started because on the first offensive play from scrimmage in the third quarter, following a kick return, referee Walt Anderson briefly stopped play to replace a football which could have been related to this issue. although retired ref Mike Carey — serving as an analyst for CBS — suggested officials were customarily swapping one used for the kickoff with another designated for game action.

Why are you acting like the Patriots haven't been caught by the league for cheating before? "Haters immediately reach guilty verdict?" If someone had been caught robbing houses and then a house got robbed on his street a couple years later, who do you think the cops are going to question first???

nevermind that it all started because on the first offensive play from scrimmage in the third quarter, following a kick return, referee Walt Anderson briefly stopped play to replace a football which could have been related to this issue. although retired ref Mike Carey serving as an analyst for CBS suggested officials were customarily swapping one used for the kickoff with another designated for game action.

Kravitz is far from a Colts homer. He's the Sully of Indy.

It's easy to reach in and deflate a ball in a bag . Again this isn't the point . Distraction .

Whoever plays these fockers must assume the worst in every phase from knowing plays to any possible mischief . Ignore at your own peril. They have no honor . So fine . Sucker punch them first and make them irrelrvant

Exactly. Deflate-gate seems silly when considering the game outcome, but to ignore it is to miss the point. If The pats cheated, then it could be a scary culture issue.

It's a discussion point but "scary culture issue" is the talking point that I'm not seeing on non-bills boards. Especially nfc ones.