"American Sniper" ....Go see it.

BringBackFergy

watched it today and kept myself shielded from any of the stories about historical accuracy or the life of chris kyle...i watched it simply as a movie....absolutely loved it, the end brought tears to my eyes, and i am not a big rah rah military patriotic guy. If i knew all the back stories of chris kyle and the inaccuracies i may not have liked it as much, glad i avoided it all

The only part of his story I knew beforehand was his death while helping a vet target practice. The movie was intense and reminded me of a family friend who also served three tours in Iraq (southern drawl and all). Very good film for those (like me) who enjoy a "reality based" movie. As others have said above, maybe the film wasn't 100% true...but no reason to pick apart a man's life (if he lied at times, etc) when it is pretty well documented that he sat overhead and saved many lives. I think Clint pulled off a good flick based on a real soldier's life.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was it billed as a to the letter-reenactment of the book? idk Im just asking. I think the movie was simply "inspired by the story of Chris Kyle" and couldnt possibly be a wholly accurate portrayal, even if it tried. His life was used as a vehicle to demonstrate the challenge balancing war service, domestic realities, and societal re-adjustment. Thats the purpose. btw most "life stories" if theyre good are used as a vehicle to raise some challenge ... the completely accurate portrayal seems both unrealistic and most likely dull

Edited by JTSP

was it billed as a to the letter-reenactment of the book? idk Im just asking. I think the movie was simply "inspired by the story of Chris Kyle" and couldnt possibly be a wholly accurate portrayal, even if it tried. His life was used as a vehicle to demonstrate the challenge balancing war service, domestic realities, and societal re-adjustment. Thats the purpose. btw most "life stories" if theyre good are used as a vehicle to raise some challenge ... the completely accurate portrayal seems both unrealistic and most likely dull

Well said.

Like the hurt locker, which I saw with great anticipation, it was decent but didn't live up to the hullabaloo - I don't get the fuss or the lenten mass reverence people have expressed they felt upon the movie's credits.

I left the theatre no more moved than when I entered (though I was expecting some trancendent experience).

Hoot from Black Hawk Down was the cooler film operator.

Like the hurt locker, which I saw with great anticipation, it was decent but didn't live up to the hullabaloo - I don't get the fuss or the lenten mass reverence people have expressed they felt upon the movie's credits.

I left the theatre no more moved than when I entered (though I was expecting some trancendent experience).

Hoot from Black Hawk Down was the cooler film operator.

Well then don't go to a movie based on some recommendation from a dolt on a message board...if you went on your own accord, thanks for your input. :).

now that i have seen it....what was the purpose of including that scene with his brother leaving his tour? that was odd...also, during the dust storm, it seemed as if chris kyle was shot, but once they got him into the vehicle, there was no mention of any sort of injury

now that i have seen it....what was the purpose of including that scene with his brother leaving his tour? that was odd...also, during the dust storm, it seemed as if chris kyle was shot, but once they got him into the vehicle, there was no mention of any sort of injury

I noticed/questioned both of those things, Pooj. The whole exchange with the "eff this place," made no sense before or after it occurred.

Been a while since I saw it. Now I am questioning a lot of it. It was good acting by the guy but the movie was dull.

It was inspiring because Uhmerika, !@#$ yeah! But left some things to be desired.

It'll be forgotten in a year. But I didn't realise that was Siena miller.

Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller were excellent in the movie. Cooper was nominated for a Oscar which he will probably win.

Thanks for the time.

They were both excellent. I'm glad that Cooper is getting recognition for his performance, because I think it's the best acting job he has ever done.

It's too bad that Miller is getting overlooked, because she is great in this movie too.

But as good as Cooper is in this movie, he will not win the Oscar. It will go to either Eddie Redmayne or Michael Keaton.

Michael Keaton was amazing....thought the movie kind of sucked, but Keaton and Norton were outstanding, and that isn't meant to take anything away from Coopers performance, he was incredible as well

They were both excellent. I'm glad that Cooper is getting recognition for his performance, because I think it's the best acting job he has ever done.

It's too bad that Miller is getting overlooked, because she is great in this movie too.

But as good as Cooper is in this movie, he will not win the Oscar. It will go to either Eddie Redmayne or Michael Keaton.

Edited by The Poojer

- It was a good movie, but with it's fair share of flaws. It may appear great relative to the horrifically bad - and getting worse - Hollywood product out there these days. But in a few years out it will be mostly forgotten and not in the league of epic war movies like Patton or Apocalypse Now.

- The climactic battle scene was made amazing by the spooky sand storm.

- Bradley Cooper did a fine acting job.

- Sienna Miller is hot.

I think your comment about putting this movie in the same category as "Patton" or "Apocalypse Now" is a bit unfair.

"American Sniper" is not an epic war movie like those. "Fury", which came also came out in 2014, is more of an epic war movie than "Sniper".

Agree with you on the last 3 points you made. The sandstorm battle was eerie. Cooper was fantastic, and yes, Miller is hot.

I'll be honest, I never really thought much of Sienna Miller as an actor, but she was great in this.

I wil take that bet. Cooper wins little Oscar in a walk in my estimation. Keaton is a long shot, Eddie the biggest challenger to the coopster.