"American Sniper" ....Go see it.

BringBackFergy

In case you don't know the whole story about Chris Kyle, I won't ruin the ending.

The movie itself was an amazing portrayal of Chris Kyle, his upbringing, his service to our country and the stress felt by so many of our servicemen and servicewomen who serve our country.

Bradley Cooper did an amazing job, as did the supporting cast. My son and I left the theater in silence...honestly, no one said a word. I didn't even really say anything until we were outside getting into the truck.

If you want to spend $10-15 and actually go watch a movie (I usually go once or twice a year), this was a good investment of time and money.

God Bless our troops and our country.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case you don't know the whole story about Chris Kyle, I won't ruin the ending.

The movie itself was an amazing portrayal of Chris Kyle, his upbringing, his service to our country and the stress felt by so many of our servicemen and servicewomen who serve our country.

Bradley Cooper did an amazing job, as did the supporting cast. My son and I left the theater in silence...honestly, no one said a word. I didn't even really say anything until we were outside getting into the truck.

If you want to spend $10-15 and actually go watch a movie (I usually go once or twice a year), this was a good investment of time and money.

God Bless our troops and our country.

The theater I saw it in had the same reaction. When he movie ended and credits rolled. Complete silence. I have never experienced anything like that.

I don't really want to see this one. It has nothing to do with how I feel about our troops--I respect and admire them a great deal. The vibe I get from what I've read and from the clips I've seen is that I would not enjoy it. It seems to have a one note "agenda" type thing that I'm not interested in.

Edited by Cugalabanza

I don't really want to see this one. It has nothing to do with how I feel about our troops--I respect and admire them a great deal. The vibe I get from what I're read and from the clips I've seen is that I would not enjoy it. It seems to have a one note "agenda" type thing that I'm not interested in.

Eastwood does tend to have something of a jingoistic bent...but not always (Gran Tornino wasn't exactly pro-American; Letters from Iwo Jima definitely wasn't.) Overall, his war movies don't feature a hell of a lot of moral ambiguity, but he can develop fairly complex "warrior" type characters (as opposed to archetypes). From everything I've heard and seen about this movie, it's less about any sort of agenda than about a characterization of the dichotomy of "home" and "front" to a sniper not just suffering from but developing it over the course of the movie. And that, given Eastwood's previous work as a director, could be worth seeing.

And whatever pro-American agenda there is could very well be a reflection of Kyle himself, who by many accounts was a serious "gung-ho ooh-rah true-American-patriot" type.

Eastwood does tend to have something of a jingoistic bent...but not always (Gran Tornino wasn't exactly pro-American; Letters from Iwo Jima definitely wasn't.) Overall, his war movies don't feature a hell of a lot of moral ambiguity, but he can develop fairly complex "warrior" type characters (as opposed to archetypes). From everything I've heard and seen about this movie, it's less about any sort of agenda than about a characterization of the dichotomy of "home" and "front" to a sniper not just suffering from but developing it over the course of the movie. And that, given Eastwood's previous work as a director, could be worth seeing.

And whatever pro-American agenda there is could very well be a reflection of Kyle himself, who by many accounts was a serious "gung-ho ooh-rah true-American-patriot" type.

Eastwood has impressed me as a director. I like a lot of his early movies and I think Unforgiven is outstanding. I liked Gran Torino too. But he's had other moments where I've found him to be manipulative and heavy handed. I'm thinking of Million Dollar Baby and Mystic River. This one gives me the same feeling I got from those two. I could be wrong though. I'll probably check it out at some point when it makes its way to cable.

Eastwood has impressed me as a director. I like a lot of his early movies and I think Unforgiven is outstanding. I liked Gran Torino too. But he's had other moments where I've found him to be manipulative and heavy handed. I'm thinking of Million Dollar Baby and Mystic River. This one gives me the same feeling I got from those two. I could be wrong though. I'll probably check it out at some point when it makes its way to cable.

There were plenty of references to "serve my country" and patriotism unleashed, but equally intense were some of the scenes where soldiers question our role over there and Kyle's balancing his own patriotism vs. the concerns of his fellow soldiers. I can understand how you may not want to see it...I just thought it was a great story (having not read Kyle's book).

You mean "thief."

Now apply your adventuresome internet spirit to finding the correct spelling of the word "savy" [sic].

where do I say anywhere I am internet savvy???? Thanks for understanding. i was responding to another poster comment it has been free for awhile.

When did you get your internet spelling police badge? How nice. its a frigging blog and my spellin is irrelevant. Gotta love the ego though. keep up the good fight! it really matters to me.

where do I say anywhere I am internet savvy???? Thanks for understanding. i was responding to another poster comment it has been free for awhile.

When did you get your internet spelling police badge? How nice. its a frigging blog and my spellin is irrelevant. Gotta love the ego though. keep up the good fight! it really matters to me.

this could get INteresting.