Should we sign DeMarco Murray?

Looks like he'll be out of Dallas this year. With no really good QBs available to the Bills this FA, Rex's defense+ground&pound philosophy, and the rest of the Bills roster already well-fitted to that philosophy would Murray be the final major piece to turn us into a Seattle-like team? Throw in an upgrade or two at OG and an average vet QB and the 2015 Bills become an instant Superbowl contender imo. Maybe not a favorite to make it, but definitely a playoff team and in the conversation.

http://www.givemesport.com/538802-demarco-murray-reportedly-not-happy-with-cowboys-4-million-a-year-offer

Absolutely not. He will be overpaid. Spend the money to upgrade the two guards and it won't matter who is running the ball.

See Denver when no matter who they plugged in at RB for several years, they were great. Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary and a couple others.

Absolutely not. He will be overpaid. Spend the money to upgrade the two guards and it won't matter who is running the ball.

See Denver when no matter who they plugged in at RB for several years, they were great. Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary and a couple others.

I agree with this. The Patriots (God I hate even typing that word) seem to have three or four RB's that aren't Top 5 names but their production is always impressive. Improve the O line and have three or four horses that can run between the tackles.

Right now, with the "ground & pound", I'm really only liking Boobie Dixson.

1) Bryce Brown unproven yet - can he be the guy?

2) Spiller - too flashy a runner for ground & pound? Doesn't hit the hole very well.

3) Jackson - getting old in the tooth. Seems like he will get hurt next year with all the pounding.

(we never should have gotten rid of Joique Bell!)

2) Spiller - too flashy a runner for ground & pound? Doesn't hit the hole very well.

3) Jackson - getting old in the tooth. Seems like he will get hurt next year with all the pounding.

Boobie never really got a shot with Roman in SF. I'm not sure that he will get more of a look outside of short yardage and goal line (and obviously special teams)

Murray has really only had one big year. Other than this season he was banged up the previous 3. We don't have the OL Dallas has at the moment either. RB's seem to be almost a dime a dozen these days and easier to find quality at the position in the later rounds of the draft. Gore is also an option with his ties to Roman.

The problem with only upgrading the line is that we're not magically going to become a line that just any RB can run for 1800 yards like Murray just did.

That's what I think. Special backs are still special backs, sure an all world line is going to make an average back look good, but Trent Richardson or Chris Johnson isn't running for 1,800 yards, even behind that Cowboys line. I'm not saying hand a back a $50 mil deal, but simple moneyball principles say when things swing so far in one direction that RB contracts are severly devalued, it's worth pursing a top back at a discount rate.

People are again looking at exceptions as rules. Every year the same backs are very good (Peterson, Lynch, Charles, McCoy, LeVeon Bell, Lacy, Murray, Gore, Forte) and almost all of them went in the first 2-3 rounds of the draft. The idea "you can find a running back in the 7th round" has become widely accepted and isn't nearly as true as the common belief holds. For every Alfred Morris there's 10 Ronnie Wingos who never do anything. Some people seem to believe that because Alfred Morris and Tom Brady hit there's no reason to draft in the first 3 rounds.

If you have a strong passing game and a good oline, you can definitely get by with the LaGarrette Blounts or Joique Bells of the world. But if you are going to go with a below average QB and win by running and defense, you need a special running back. Our backs are good situational players, but unless Bryce Brown realizes his full potential, we don't have a back on the roster capable of 400 carries in a year and being the focal point of a ground and pound attack.

Murray has really only had one big year. Other than this season he was banged up the previous 3. We don't have the OL Dallas has at the moment either. RB's seem to be almost a dime a dozen these days and easier to find quality at the position in the later rounds of the draft. Gore is also an option with his ties to Roman.

He played 14 games in '13 and ran for 1,121 yards on a 5.2 average. His rookie year he didn't see real work until mid October and finished just under 900 yards (897) with a 5.5 yard average. He'll be 27 in about a month and surely has at least 2-3 more solid years in his legs. He broke his ankle at the end of his rookie year and missed 6 games in '12 with a sprained foot, for all his supposed injury woes it's not like he completely tore up his knee like McGahee or blew his ACL and broke his hip like Gore.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

The reason I even started this thread is not only how well Murray did this season, but the type of back he is. That's the type of back you want if you're going to run a ground & pound offense. We currently don't have anyone on the roster that we can feed the ball to that much. And while Gore is(or was) that type of back he's 5 years older than Murray and doesn't have nearly as much left in the tank.

Cuz we all know that Spiller, Bryce Brown, or Boobie will never bee RBs that can carry the ball over 20 times a game for 16 straight games.

i don't think they got rid of Bell, he was poached off the PS. But I agree on losing him.

The reason I even started this thread is not only how well Murray did this season, but the type of back he is. That's the type of back you want if you're going to run a ground & pound offense. We currently don't have anyone on the roster that we can feed the ball to that much. And while Gore is(or was) that type of back he's 5 years older than Murray and doesn't have nearly as much left in the tank.

Cuz we all know that Spiller, Bryce Brown, or Boobie will never bee RBs that can carry the ball over 20 times a game for 16 straight games.

The league is clearly swinging back to bell cow backs who can do a lot of things and touch the ball 20+ times a game from where they were just a few years ago with the extreme RBBC approach. It takes the casual public a little while to catch up.

Murray had over 400 touches this year and we all know or should know what the track record is of a RB after that. Murray will also want to be paid well.

I would rather sign Mark Ingram who should come relatively cheap and doesn't hv a ton of mileage on him

Edited by Max997

Most importantly when it comes to the discussion of how much to spend on an RB, this is a viable alternative to finding a great QB. Outstanding defense + outstanding run game + average QB can win games.

And an RB like that is a lot cheaper than a star QB.

Since 1971 the league leading rusher was drafted outside of the first 3 rounds just 3 times:

Arian Foster - A guy everyone clearly missed on

Priest Holmes - Backup to Heisman trophy winning Ricky Williams

Terrell Davis - perfect system for him in Denver, another guy people missed on

In 2014 we are fully into the "don't draft RBs early" era. 14 backs rushed for over 964 yards. 4 (Forsett - career backup, Marshawn's backup in college / Foster / Alfred Morris / Lamar Miller) were drafted after the 3rd round.

Yes, you can find RBs late or in the mid rounds. Just like you can find QBs, WRs, pass rushers and corners late. But you are going to go through a bunch of lumps of coal before you find a diamond and the belief that every year there's several thousand yard backs available after round 3 is simply a myth.

I'd love to grab him if we can pay him 5 mill a year. Add him and iupati. Draft another guard and TE in rds 2/3.

I know the Dallas OL was a monster this year and Murray had some big holes to run through, but he really upped his cpgame this year. Looked a lot like AP to me. More speed and power than I've seen from him in the past. A truly dominant season imo