The 1-5-5 alignment

Lets pull the WHOLE defense off the field......god what a mind screw that would be!

Wade Phillips did that at the end of the "Just give it to them" game for the 2pt conversion.

(I guess technically he pulled the special teams off the field, not the defense, since the normal expectation would be for an extra kick, but close enough.)

Put your best players on the field, regardless of alignment. The Bills have the best pair of DTs in the league. Any scheme which leaves one of them on the bench is not a good one.

Incorrect assumption. The 5 LBrs don't all have to be LBrs. Ryan and Pettine use the alignment to confuse the O-line as to who is coming and how. KW could be used in space and in motion prior to the snap. This isn't a new concept, nor is it a scheme. It is a sub-package alignment. Sorry, but I thought this would have been a fun subject for the football nerds as we will most definitely see this employed at times throughout the season.

What the hell are people talking about in this thread? Theyre mocking something because they don't understand something? The 1-5-5 is just a version of the nickel that's been around for years. It's not as popular as the 2-4-5 but it's used on occasion by a lot of teams that run a Base 3-4.

As for the original question: I'm sure we'll see it but I don't think we have the LBs to run it much. On the DL Dareus would be the anchor more than likely but only Mario could stand upright and be an LB (I'm assuming Hughes won't be back.) like others have mentioned it ends up taking Williams off the field which isn't bad in so long as it's used sparingly. Rex has used it in the past but from what I've seen (and from watching Petine) he's much more likely to run the 2-4-5 regularly which is the zone blitz (with perhaps man one one side) package that they've favored in the past.

Edited by MDH

What the hell are people talking about in this thread? Theyre mocking something because they don't understand something? The 1-5-5 is just a version of the nickel that's been around for years. It's not as popular as the 2-4-5 but it's used on occasion by a lot of teams that run a Base 3-4. As for the original question: I'm sure we'll see it but I don't think we have the LBs to run it much. On the DL Dareus would be the anchor more than likely but only Mario could stand upright and be an LB (I'm assuming Hughes won't be back.) like others have mentioned it ends up taking Williams off the field which isn't bad in so long as it's used sparingly. Rex has used it in the past but from what I've seen (and from watching Petine) he's much more likely to run the 2-4-5 regularly which is the zone blitz (with perhaps man one one side) package that they've favored in the past.

With the 2 DTs on the field, would they line up across from the guards?

With the 2 DTs on the field, would they line up across from the guards?

Generally, yeah. But you can space them however you want. Just think steelers zone blitz where a bunch of guys are in two point stances and some drop back and some rush the QB. All these 1-5-5 and 2-4-5 formations are just variations of that. It just gets into technicalities with personnel and alignment that sets them apart.

Dareus at DT, as the lone down lineman

Hughes and Mario on/near the line, but standing, as "OLBs"

Kiko, Brown, Bradham LB

5 DBs

It makes sense to me for certain situations... I don't understand the snark?

Edited by Dorkington