UFA offensive linemen we need to sign in free agency.

r henderson

Mike Iupati (age 28) and if not him I would say James Carpenter, Iupati obviously knows what Roman wants to do and Carpenter is a player on a power running line plus Carpenter is only 26. Colon is 32 I hope if he is brought in it is as a backup or to compete for the RG spot but one of the other guys needs to be brought in as starting LG. Henderson Wood and Glenn will look Like totally different players with a big time starting LG so the Bills do need to spend on a LG more than most teams. Even if they make a huge move at QB it will still require a huge move on the Oline.

Sounds good to me.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 pages on the o-line and no mention of bringing Levitre back if he gets cut?

Now there is a Bills fan who is thinking..lower cost same results. Chemistry with Wood. History of success. He is the primary reason we don't enter the top tier of FA at OG.

2 pages on the o-line and no mention of bringing Levitre back if he gets cut?

He is weaker at the point of attack now than he was when he was with the team a few years ago. He is a finesse player that is beginning the negative descent from his physical plateau a few years ago.

Seems like everyone has given up on the two Cs from last year's draft? I'd like to see how they pan out in camp under new coaching. Colon may be an option and let's see who else wants to play for Rex. I'd leave Cordy and Seantrell right where their at and find two OGs from FA or the existing back ups. Wood is ok, but needs to get stronger. Williams and Pears should be gone.

My first pick is Derek Newton of the Houston Texans. He is the number 2 rated right tackle in the NFL according to PFF. My second pick is Clint Boling of the Cincinnati Bengals. Currently starting at left guard but played right guard in college majority of career at Georgia. Move Seantrel Henderson to left tackle and kick Cordy Glenn inside. We can sign both players at the same cost it would take to sign Mike Iupati. "Brilliant"

I like this idea in that you are talking about getting 2 new bodies instead of putting all our eggs in a single Iupati basket.

I feel like we need at least 2 new bodies on that line. They don't need to be unbelievable, they just need to be solid and strong upgrades over what we have now.

I have no doubt this will be addressed through draft and free agency or trade or anything else.

The O line will look a lot different next year.

said Doug Marrone . . . and how'd that work out?

Oh it didn't go very well at all.

Your avatar helmet, complete with that particular gray face mask, and all the scars/blemishes/weathering needs to be our official helmet for all games going forward.

Edited by Stopthepain

Boling actually moved around quite a bit on the Georgia OL, playing every position except for C. I think he's a great player though, and is my #1 FA target.

I don't think you're going to get both of those guys for under $8M/year (which is what Iupati will probably get reading the market). Good RTs get $5M/year and up (Gosder Cherilus got $7M/year). Boling is probably at least a $5M/year player--just an FYI, he didn't sit out 2013; he started 12 games that season, and has started 44 games in the last 3 regular seasons combined.

Not if you sign him to an extension now, and then move him to guard. It wouldn't surprise me if that's exactly what they do, nor would it surprise me if they just leave him where he is.

Sign him to an extension for LT money and then move him inside to find another LT? Brilliant

• 2 weeks later...

Please take no offense--James Carpenter is horrible. A liability in pass protection, and merely adequate in run blocking. We have a better chance, IMO, of developing Cyril Richardson into a quality OG than Carpenter.

It's hardly busted. While I'm not a huge proponent of moving Glenn, there are two things you might consider:

1) Henderson played LT in college and throughout training camp. He's far more comfortable over there, as he's never played anywhere else. By contrast, Glenn has played LG before, and done it well. Moving him could potentially make 2 OL spots better without any added personnel.

2) A Vic Carucci article a few weeks back shed some light on the notion that there are some within the Bills organization that believe not only that Glenn will be a better long-term player at OG, but that Henderson will be a better long-term player at LT. Here's the article:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-offensive-line-has-room-for-improvement-20141217

"Left tackle Cordy Glenn is mostly solid, although there are some within the Bills who think that his more natural spot might be at guard."

"There are some NFL personnel evaluators who believe Henderson has enough potential to eventually move to left tackle, the premier spot on the line, perhaps as soon as next season."

Would you prefer to keep the line intact for the future or jettison our best OLmen? That's the underlying fact. It doesn't really matter that Glenn was projected to be a good guard coming out of college or that he's played well at guard in the past. What does matter is that Cordys contract is up at the end of the season. In his first 4 years in the leagues he'd have taken home less that 4million (4yr-4.8mill). This is his big payday. He knows it. We know. Then we kick him inside to potentially make 4-5 mill less a year. Someone will offer him big bucks to play LT. We can't, because no one pays a guard 9+mill unless you wanna lose.

If the front office thinks Glenn will be getting paid more than his worth after this season and he's not really in our plans, move him inside. If we think he's partly our future, I can't envision him wanting to return at guard. He's proven he can handle the position and be a very good LT. Doesn't seem like an egotistical guy by any means, but I maintain that a move to guard will signal Cordy Glenn's exit after the season.

Would you prefer to keep the line intact for the future or jettison our best OLmen? That's the underlying fact. It doesn't really matter that Glenn was projected to be a good guard coming out of college or that he's played well at guard in the past. What does matter is that Cordys contract is up at the end of the season. In his first 4 years in the leagues he'd have taken home less that 4million (4yr-4.8mill). This is his big payday. He knows it. We know. Then we kick him inside to potentially make 4-5 mill less a year. Someone will offer him big bucks to play LT. We can't, because no one pays a guard 9+mill unless you wanna lose.

If the front office thinks Glenn will be getting paid more than his worth after this season and he's not really in our plans, move him inside. If we think he's partly our future, I can't envision him wanting to return at guard. He's proven he can handle the position and be a very good LT. Doesn't seem like an egotistical guy by any means, but I maintain that a move to guard will signal Cordy Glenn's exit after the season.

As I said, I'm not a big proponent of moving him at all, for those exact reasons.

I'd focus more on grabbing a Boling in FA and drafting a guy like AJ Cann, Laken Tomlinson, or Jarvis Harrison in round 3.

The seahawks o-line really isn't very good. I'd like to see us target any of Iupati (SF), Boling (CIN), Connolly (NE), Colon (NYJ), Franklin (DEN) at guard. If we're going to lure a tackle I like Gabe Carimi.

I was with you until you said Colon and Carimi...Colon looked finished this year IMO. Also, Carimi has played his way off two different rosters, and was part of an OL that surrendered more QB hits than even Buffalo did last year (he was their No. 4 OT going into the season).

If Buffalo is to sign a FA OT in the offseason, there are much better options like B. Bulaga, D. Newton, D. Free, and K. Dunlap.

I was with you until you said Colon and Carimi...Colon looked finished this year IMO. Also, Carimi has played his way off two different rosters, and was part of an OL that surrendered more QB hits than even Buffalo did last year (he was their No. 4 OT going into the season).

If Buffalo is to sign a FA OT in the offseason, there are much better options like B. Bulaga, D. Newton, D. Free, and K. Dunlap.

Colon wasn't so much a desire as a 'Rex has brought so many Jets as it is' kind of assumption. I liked what I saw from Carimi in College, but I know he's underperformed in the pros. I feel he's worth small contract money for depth if nothing else. I don't expect us to spend big at tackle for a Bulaga type

Colon wasn't so much a desire as a 'Rex has brought so many Jets as it is' kind of assumption. I liked what I saw from Carimi in College, but I know he's underperformed in the pros. I feel he's worth small contract money for depth if nothing else. I don't expect us to spend big at tackle for a Bulaga type

Ah ok...much different scenario than I assumed reading your post. Yeah, if they're going to bring in a camp body-type, Carimi is fine for that.

Colon isn't my cup of tea though...if they're going to the FA well for an OG, I'd really like it to be a guy that we can expect to be a very solid player.

Ah ok...much different scenario than I assumed reading your post. Yeah, if they're going to bring in a camp body-type, Carimi is fine for that.

Colon isn't my cup of tea though...if they're going to the FA well for an OG, I'd really like it to be a guy that we can expect to be a very solid player.

Based on the coaching hires so far though I'd think that we are going to go out and get our #1 target for Guard as the first priority

As I said, I'm not a big proponent of moving him at all, for those exact reasons.

I'd focus more on grabbing a Boling in FA and drafting a guy like AJ Cann, Laken Tomlinson, or Jarvis Harrison in round 3.

Same here.

Seantrell wasn't a very good RT last year. Not sure why anyone would prefer to move our best OLmen at the most important position and replace him with someone that hasn't done crap. I like seantrell. I think he may be a fixture of our OL in the future. Hopefully he keeps improving. He had glimpses of dominance but more glimpses of getting dominated. I'd be fine with keeping him at RT or even trying him at G. Just don't want him playing LT over Cordy.