Cap space and why every big FA is in play for Bills

Gestes72

The only player on the Bills roster that is signed for the 2018 season is A. Williams according to over the cap, which means they can sign Impact FA this year and backload deals hopefully they just do it smart and spread them out over different years, so if they want to keep Hughes they can and they should be able to upgrade the Oline and finally get a TE that is a real threat in the passing game.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills

Backloaded contracts are not much in vogue anymore. With a large amount of players never seeing the higher back end years of the deal, there is little incentive for players to sign contracts that appear larger than they are. Most contracts wisely are front guaranteed deals these days. This works for both team and player as the player gets his guaranteed money......and the team is not up for large dead cap hits if they chose to cut said player down the road.

Edited by Dibs

Backloaded contracts are not much in vogue anymore. With a large amount of players never seeing the higher back end years of the deal, there is little incentive for players to sign contracts that appear larger than they are. Most contracts wisely are front guaranteed deals these days. This works for both team and player as the player gets his guaranteed money......and the team is not up for large dead cap hits if they chose to cut said player down the road.

totally agreed

another thing i think we are gonna escape finally is the old cash to cap style spending. so after the money guys get it tweaked we might be spending more than usual with resigning our on and activity in free agency.

Edited by 808

totally agreed

another thing i think we are gonna escape finally is the old cash to cap style spending. so after the money guys get it tweaked we might be spending more than usual with resigning our on and activity in free agency.

I'm not too sure about your C2C thoughts. Pegula certainly has deep pockets so the cash flow aspect of C2C won't be as much of an issue.....but C2C doesn't really influence much nowadays. Most teams use it as a rough guide. Some years going over (a la the Mario year for the Bills), and some years under. With the new type contract structures where there is less up front signing bonus monies(offset by guaranteed monies in the first few years), all teams seem to be able to sign who they want without fear of being outbid by the big franchises via signing bonus money.

I've never understood why C2C got a bad name. It has always been a rough helper for cash flow purposes that most teams (the non big franchises) adopted. Somewhere, somebody labeled it as "being cheap"....which it certainly isn't.

After three seasons isn't it time to rework Mario's contract and free up some cap space. 19.4M isn't a user friendly number, however, if the Bills could find a way to get that number down to say 11M, you can do a lot with an extra 8M in space.

I want to off season focus on fixing what needs fixing, pass rush isn't one of them, As long as Mario, Darius and Kyle are on the front, we will generate pass rush, plus Rex Ryan's blitzing style always finds ways to getting to the QB. We need to fix that O-line, though I think a new offensive philosophy will help get more out of the 3 soon to be second year O-linemen. Get a big play TE. A bigger WR who can play. Find a QB who can either push EJ or play ion front of him. I don't want to hear the EJ sucks crap, we've heard it all before. If the Bills can't find a QB, EJ has to play.

After three seasons isn't it time to rework Mario's contract and free up some cap space. 19.4M isn't a user friendly number, however, if the Bills could find a way to get that number down to say 11M, you can do a lot with an extra 8M in space.

I want to off season focus on fixing what needs fixing, pass rush isn't one of them, As long as Mario, Darius and Kyle are on the front, we will generate pass rush, plus Rex Ryan's blitzing style always finds ways to getting to the QB. We need to fix that O-line, though I think a new offensive philosophy will help get more out of the 3 soon to be second year O-linemen. Get a big play TE. A bigger WR who can play. Find a QB who can either push EJ or play ion front of him. I don't want to hear the EJ sucks crap, we've heard it all before. If the Bills can't find a QB, EJ has to play.

Mario's contract is one of the top off season items in my opinion. Has he played incredible football.......he sure has. Even I think he realizes that in order to help the team get over the hump, keep most of the defensive players and sign a few stud free agents, he will need to compromise. I would suspect that with how the Pegula's handle their business (which I admire whiole heartedly), they may have a quiet hand shake deal in place.

We don't need another big FA WR. We have invested 2 1st Rd and a 2nd Rd pick at that position. You have let those two players develop. What we need a big time TE. Chandler is good in the middle of the field, but has no separation in the end zone.

We don't need another big FA WR. We have invested 2 1st Rd and a 2nd Rd pick at that position. You have let those two players develop. What we need a big time TE. Chandler is good in the middle of the field, but has no separation in the end zone.

I think a vet WR would be a good move, someone savvy that can be a good slot option

Just by turning mario's 2015 salary into a bonus they can pick up another 10 million as well

To what end? We have ample cap room at the moment.......with young budding stars who will need that money in a few years. One only does that if one is making a run at the SB. Until we obtain a good QB, loading up on extra costly players now at the expense of tomorrow's roster is the last thing we want to be doing IMO.

I'd gladly welcome him back, 2 year 6 million dollar deal or something close to that.. He knows the offensive system and he's got that swagger coach Ryan wants.

Good point on the system , but first he needs to be cut, and second he may not like the system.