Cap space and why every big FA is in play for Bills

Gestes72

I'm not too sure about your C2C thoughts. Pegula certainly has deep pockets so the cash flow aspect of C2C won't be as much of an issue.....but C2C doesn't really influence much nowadays. Most teams use it as a rough guide. Some years going over (a la the Mario year for the Bills), and some years under. With the new type contract structures where there is less up front signing bonus monies(offset by guaranteed monies in the first few years), all teams seem to be able to sign who they want without fear of being outbid by the big franchises via signing bonus money.

I've never understood why C2C got a bad name. It has always been a rough helper for cash flow purposes that most teams (the non big franchises) adopted. Somewhere, somebody labeled it as "being cheap"....which it certainly isn't.

C2C was a different philosophy - never an inferior one. The great positive is it saved the team from having years with huge amounts of dead money. Dead money was one of the reasons the Raiders have sucked so bad recently. If I'm not mistaken, they had something like $30 or $40 million of dead money in 2013. Hard to sign the FAs you need when you're still paying millions for ex-players.

I'd gladly welcome him back, 2 year 6 million dollar deal or something close to that.. He knows the offensive system and he's got that swagger coach Ryan wants.

Didn't want to go down that road because Stevie is soooo polarizing, but I agree. I would take him back too.

Backloaded contracts are fools gold. Players have realized that the short term money is what counts. The money and the gaurantee in years 2-3 on long term deals is what really counts. Years 4-5 are usually pay as you go team options, anything beyond that is usually something the team will either not end up paying.