Chan Gailey to Cleveland Browns?

Wayne Cubed

now we get to see what the 2013 Buffalo Bills might have been if we kept Chan and Fitz and then added Pettine as DC when he became available. Fitz = Hoyer imo so I think our rosters would be pretty comparable to Cleveland's if we stayed the course

i think there is very little chance Hoyer will be there next season

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think there is very little chance Hoyer will be there next season

we'll see, he doesn't really have a lot of options at this point. he's going to be a backup pretty much anywhere else in the league. he might have to stick it out and sign a short term contract and play nice with Johnny Football for a few more seasons

we'll see, he doesn't really have a lot of options at this point. he's going to be a backup pretty much anywhere else in the league. he might have to stick it out and sign a short term contract and play nice with Johnny Football for a few more seasons

i don't think the Browns want him and JFF together again. It may not be his choice. They appear to be going with JFF and I think hoyer will sign elsewhere - most likely as a backup. I think the Browns will sign another vet.

i was wondering when Chan would get tired of golfing and watching uninventive nfl offenses on his tv.

Rex probably has his guy for OC, but if I were Pegula I'd have insisted Chan be interviewed for OC. The guy is very good and an excellent game caller

Jerry is that you? That sounds like a Jerry Jones move. If you are paying a guy $5.5M/year you have to trust that he will choose the right coordinators.

I like Chan Gailey. I do not think he was a good head coach; however, I do believe he is a good offensive coordinator. He also is a decent man whose heart was genuinely here while he was coaching. I like for good things to happen to good people and I wish him well if that is what he wants to do.

If the Browns fire Pettine after one year, during which they played pretty well for long stretches, they will surpass even the Bills for FO foolishness. Unless the ghost of Vince Lombardi is looking for work, they won't find anyone better than Pettine.

he didn't....

....have the offensive talent to evolve.

he had stevie and UDFA receivers, chandler and the gang at tight end, a middle of the pack at best OL and fitz. he couldnt stretch the field vertically, which left him only the ability to do so horizontally. he did that very well, but you have to maximize the area the defense has to account for week in and week out or its going to be a rough go. that he wasnt caught up to even worse than he was is an accomplishment.

and with the D flopping so spectacularly and switching schemes so often, they got the money and draft picks

I'd have been happy with Gailey as OC also, but it looks like a Roman holiday is on its way. I know nothing about Roman so I have no opinion on whether he's a good hire. But I sure hope they keep Schwartz and stay in the 4-3. The personnel have been assembled for a 4-3, not a 3-4, and starting over to fit Ryan's preference for a 3-4 would be downright criminal.

I'd have been happy with Gailey as OC also, but it looks like a Roman holiday is on its way. I know nothing about Roman so I have no opinion on whether he's a good hire. But I sure hope they keep Schwartz and stay in the 4-3. The personnel have been assembled for a 4-3, not a 3-4, and starting over to fit Ryan's preference for a 3-4 would be downright criminal.

by switching defenses every year, we are actually pretty well suited for anything we want.

by switching defenses every year, we are actually pretty well suited for anything we want.

lol. I was actually thinking along the same lines but didn't want to start the entire 3/4; 4/3 debate again. If any team would be able to flip schemes and still be productive it would be the bills.

lol. I was actually thinking along the same lines but didn't want to start the entire 3/4; 4/3 debate again. If any team would be able to flip schemes and still be productive it would be the bills.

I hope they stay in the 4-3 as I think we are better suited to that with the personnel we have. We don't have a big Ted Washington type guy that's needed to plug the middle. We were pretty good against the run last year, I'd hate to go back to the way we were before that.

Whats next? They're getting LeBeau to come in and run the D with Pettine? That'd be some old mofo's.

i don't think the Browns want him and JFF together again. It may not be his choice. They appear to be going with JFF and I think hoyer will sign elsewhere - most likely as a backup. I think the Browns will sign another vet.

Jets. He'll be the Jets backup.

....have the offensive talent to evolve.

he had stevie and UDFA receivers, chandler and the gang at tight end, a middle of the pack at best OL and fitz. he couldnt stretch the field vertically, which left him only the ability to do so horizontally. he did that very well, but you have to maximize the area the defense has to account for week in and week out or its going to be a rough go. that he wasnt caught up to even worse than he was is an accomplishment.

and with the D flopping so spectacularly and switching schemes so often, they got the money and draft picks

This is so true and no one realizes it. David Nelson was one of the best WR's we had while Gailey was here, for example.

Edited by jboyst62

Source tells @NFLonFOX that Chan Gailey on @Browns radar as potential OC. Joins Marc Trestman, Al Saunders & John DeFillipo as candidates

Always liked Chan, OC is where he should be, hope he does well, is going to love Johny Football

We should bring Hoyer in.

Spiller to the Browns

I think this is a bit of revisionist history. Chan's offense was just as frustrating. Remember when he would spread the ball out and throw on 3rd and 1? He was almost always throwing on short yardage. He had multiple games where the offense failed to score more than 10 pts. It also took him 2 years to figure out how to use the guy he wanted to draft.

We do eulogize Chan a bit, but his issues with Spiller weren't that he couldn't figure out how to use him (at least not entirely). If you remember, he often had to bench Spiller for improvising and not hitting holes, which is something that Spiller actually improved (before regressing and lapsing into it again with Marrone and Hackett). C.J. was-- and is-- an incredible talent, but he needed-- and needs-- coaching and development.