Wary Coaching Candidates

firemedic

Thank you for posting this. I've been waiting for any confirmation coaches have been "scared off" because EJ Manuel is on the roster.

The Bleacher Report article is even more confusing it actually says the Bills are the ones that are "worried" that Rex is apprehensive about the job because of the QB.

It doesn't actually say "Rex said he's wary of the QB" (other than in the misleading headline). :beer:

I can't understand why people are making an issue about Whaley discussing EJ during the interviews. What is Whaley supposed to do? Should he tell non-Bills employees, "Don't worry I'm going to trade for Foles in the off season," or, "Yeah, I'm going to get Cousins and Sanchez to compete." You can't tip your hand and tell non-Bills staff what the future plans of the team will be.

Like it or not, EJ is the current starting quarterback of this team. It only makes sense for Whaley to discuss our quarterback with prospective coaches. This allows for three things:

1) Compare and contrast the strategies with those of Marrone.

2) Guage creativity of the potential coach.

3) Get ideas about what can be done with EJ in the future.

After seeing that some potential coaches were scared of being "tied" to EJ and possibly turned down the position because of that, I have an idea for the owners..............

How about giving the newly hired coach/staff a "free" first year. If EJ doesn't cut it, the coaches get a pass, can draft their own guy the next year and "start over" without year one being a blemish?

What say you?

they will anyway

I never heard or saw this. Is this you're opinion? If it is your opinion, don't write it as if it's a known fact.

Also, if a head coaching candidate doesn't think he can do anything with EJ Manuel then he shouldn't be hired. I'd bet a whole lot of money that Chip Kelly would have had EJ Manuel in the top 10 of QB statistics if he had him this past year. IMO he certainly would have started over Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez.

The problem with EJ Manuel was 80% coaching. Will he ever be an elite QB? Probably not. Is he a QB with enough skills like Joe Flacco and Eli Manning that you can coach up to play at a high enough level to get you in the playoffs, get on a roll and win the Superbowl? I believe Manuel could be that type of QB for the Bills.

What the Bills need is an innovative and creative coach like Chip Kelly that tunes out the negative and goes full throttle with a plan that uses Manuel's best attributes. Spread formation, QB runs, quick pace, deep throws and tell him to play with no fear of getting yelled at. You want to see Manuel thrive? That's the game plan people. There is no silver bullet QB coming in here that is a better option than a new head coach getting EJ Manuel in gear. Not Cutler, Foles, Sanchez, Glennon...ect. All well known duds IMO. Unless the Giants or Steelers are trading away their starting QBs to the Bills, the best option is giving EJ Manuel a free form and innovative offense.

Holy cow!

After seeing that some potential coaches were scared of being "tied" to EJ and possibly turned down the position because of that, I have an idea for the owners..............

How about giving the newly hired coach/staff a "free" first year. If EJ doesn't cut it, the coaches get a pass, can draft their own guy the next year and "start over" without year one being a blemish?

What say you?

We've only seen supposition that EJ is scaring off potential HCs. And there's difference between asking a candidate his philosophy on developing young QBs and how that might apply to EJ Manuel and demanding that the candidate make EJ his starter. I don't buy a single thing that's been "reported" on the subject at the moment.

GO BILLS!!!

The Bleacher Report article is even more confusing it actually says the Bills are the ones that are "worried" that Rex is apprehensive about the job because of the QB.

It doesn't actually say "Rex said he's wary of the QB" (other than in the misleading headline). :beer:

Bleacher Report? Well, that tells me all I needed to know.

What say you?

We have no idea what was actually being said about EJ. We have no idea what coaches feel about it. It's all conjecture at this point.

I never heard or saw this. Is this you're opinion? If it is your opinion, don't write it as if it's a known fact.

Also, if a head coaching candidate doesn't think he can do anything with EJ Manuel then he shouldn't be hired. I'd bet a whole lot of money that Chip Kelly would have had EJ Manuel in the top 10 of QB statistics if he had him this past year. IMO he certainly would have started over Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez.

The problem with EJ Manuel was 80% coaching. Will he ever be an elite QB? Probably not. Is he a QB with enough skills like Joe Flacco and Eli Manning that you can coach up to play at a high enough level to get you in the playoffs, get on a roll and win the Superbowl? I believe Manuel could be that type of QB for the Bills.

What the Bills need is an innovative and creative coach like Chip Kelly that tunes out the negative and goes full throttle with a plan that uses Manuel's best attributes. Spread formation, QB runs, quick pace, deep throws and tell him to play with no fear of getting yelled at. You want to see Manuel thrive? That's the game plan people. There is no silver bullet QB coming in here that is a better option than a new head coach getting EJ Manuel in gear. Not Cutler, Foles, Sanchez, Glennon...ect. All well known duds IMO. Unless the Giants or Steelers are trading away their starting QBs to the Bills, the best option is giving EJ Manuel a free form and innovative offense.

You are just making good sense.

What say you?

so explain why no other HC's have been hired as yet. I may be wrong but I don;t recall any hirigns so far.

ergo it's not about EJ

I dont even want a coach thats wary of taking a job on this team exactly with what we have. I want a coach who will man up to the challenge of making EJ a better qb or developing another one. Most of the candidates we have interviewed havent been a head coach in this league so they should prove they are worthy of being a head coach by taking what you have and making the most out of it. Bruce Arians, great coach, went to the playoffs with a 3rd string qb and a whole lot of nothing on offense and missing 5 starters on D. I want the guy that goes into that interview and says give me what you have and we'll find a way to make it work. So sick of whiny little B*#@hes complaining about a job that 99% of us would love to do

so explain why no other HC's have been hired as yet. I may be wrong but I don;t recall any hirigns so far.

ergo it's not about EJ

I heard Whaley is threatening to trade EJ to whatever team hires one of these candidates.

GO BILLS!!!

Depends on the situation.

Yes, but pass up an opportunity and you might not get any more. Guys are hot commodities in a coaching search one year only to never be considered or interviewed again. Ray Horton comes to mind. Hot commodity 2 years ago. Has anyone interviewed him this time?

I dont even want a coach thats wary of taking a job on this team exactly with what we have. I want a coach who will man up to the challenge of making EJ a better qb or developing another one. Most of the candidates we have interviewed havent been a head coach in this league so they should prove they are worthy of being a head coach by taking what you have and making the most out of it. Bruce Arians, great coach, went to the playoffs with a 3rd string qb and a whole lot of nothing on offense and missing 5 starters on D. I want the guy that goes into that interview and says give me what you have and we'll find a way to make it work. So sick of whiny little B*#@hes complaining about a job that 99% of us would love to do

Cheers!