What if our new coach is worse than Marrone?

The media didn't force Marrone out. He left because he saw a chance to pocket $4M and leverage his 'resurrecting' the Bills myth into another lucrative deal with another NFL team for more money and more control. From what has transpired so far that appears to be the Jets. And even if the media did run him out of town that only shows he's an emotional weakling that isn't suiting for a HC job where interacting with the press and dealing with potential criticism is a certainty.

My theory is most of what he did and didn't do during the course of the season was aligned with his objective of putting himself in a position to make his next move. Defense and FG's won 9 games, not the genuis and superior coaching skills of Doug Marrone.

Well said, especially your last sentence.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And that's 'outrageous' or out of character for NFL media? As above....standard criticism until he quit. The personal backlash came after.

For the record, I have no problem with him quitting. He exercised his contractual right. I have a problem with how he did it.

That's standard? I don't think so.

The brain trust didn't force Marrone out. The Buffalo media did. Their parrots did.

Thus, if the guy we end up with(and nothing says we will get our first choice, especially given how Marrone has been treated) isn't better than Marrone? It's not the brain trust's fault. They wanted to keep marrone.

No. It's the media and their parrots fault. Period.

Speaking of productive, perhaps the most productive use of our time might be thinking things through, before we start demanding immediate action. This would be helpful in a lot of areas beyond just the Bills.

Weakness? They guy delivers the first winning season in 10 years and gets disproportionate schit for it?

No way. Weakness is staying, and taking crap from morons, because you're too scared to leave/afraid you can't get a job elsewhere.

Strength is repsonding to ridiculousness with a fine F U, and heading for the exit, becaue you know you can get a job elsewhere.

This idea that the media forced him out is ridiculous. Doug Marrone is responsible for his own actions. He made his choices. End of story. The Bills are now in search of a new head coach and I hope they get it right; however, there are no guarantees in life. The next head coach may be everything we have been looking for in a HC for what seems to be an eternity now, he may be awful, or he may be somewhere in between. I hope for the best. I certainly am not going to spend my time worrying...

Oh, so I guess you'll be the first to demand accountability, if the Bills start 0-3 next year against what we already know is a .480 win % schedule with only 2-4 really tough games on it, right? Because that will be..."real". :lol: If that happens I will look forward to your posts.

I wonder how you drive your car, if you only worry about getting into an accident, after, you've already gotten into an accident, because only then is it...real.

Hardly, I'm more of a "let it play out" kinda guy, rather than a pitchfork guy. Also, call me when ANY NFL team has only 2 - 4 really tough games on their schedule...

And what if the new coach is BETTER than Marrone? Then we've all panicked for nothing :D

Regarding the car, the last thing I do is worry that I'm going to get in an accident before I even get in the car! If one happens, I'll deal.

Weakness? They guy delivers the first winning season in 10 years and gets disproportionate schit for it?

No way. Weakness is staying, and taking crap from morons, because you're too scared to leave/afraid you can't get a job elsewhere.

Strength is repsonding to ridiculousness with a fine F U, and heading for the exit, becaue you know you can get a job elsewhere.

Who was giving him guff for a winning season? By all accounts he tried to force Pegula into an extension, when he didn't get it Dougie took his ball and went home. So be it.

He didn't leave because he was "taking crap for morons", but all accounts he was the moron giving everyone crap!

I was not against Marrone being here next year, but he's not, so now I'll root for the next man up. And how's that getting a job elsewhere playing out for him?

Sure it is. Nobody thought it could be worse than Greggo. And then it did get worse, 2x. Dick Jauron was the low water mark. The games were unwatchable.

There was only one unwatchable game in Marrone's tenure, and that was last season.

I'll relax when I see improvement over Marrone. If I don't, then we are idiots for forcing him out, only to bring in a loser.....and as I already see down thread, we already have Buffalo media apologists trying to tell us that taking a step backwards in wins next year, given a much easier schedule...is something I should be OK with?

F that.

Ease Up Man. Just providing a little humor to the situation. I know it can get worse, that is always possible. I'm not panicking though and I'm confident we can make it work. Trust me.

Weakness is being a quitter. It's not having the guts to stand by 'your family' and see the process through. It's being thin skinned when faced with 'typical' NFL media criticism. It's assigning blame everywhere but on the man in the mirror. It's running for the door via text message because you can't face 'your' team.

Strength is rallying inward, getting stronger, using criticism to motivate you more... and then giving everyone (to borrow your phrase) a big FU when you reach your goals.

All the backlash you allege started after he quit. Period. He earned it.

Depends on what you are quitting. If you family are crack addicts and alcoholics, or general a-holes, for any number of reasons, there is 0 weakness in quitting them. In fact that takes more strength than most have. The weak stick around, because they are more afraid of leaving than of the abuse.

There's a lot of absolutist thinking being thrown around here. And I think its because the original question of this thread....It's unsettling for you, isn't it? Contemplating a worse coach than Marrone....after all the absolute statements you've/others have made?

It would really suck, wouldn't it, having to eat those gallons of crow.

This smells like "we have to be right, cause being wrong is catastrophic for us, so we're going to go out and demand that everyone agree with us, and beat down all dissent". It smells like fear, and weakness, to me.

That is why I asked the question in the first place. ;) I didn't start this thread the day of, because I wanted to see the reaction.

I started this thread today....to expose some of the reaction for what it is, and I have.

I think that it is an interesting question that OCinBuffalo raises. Marrone was a pretty good HC. He wasn't Vince Lombardi but he wasn't Rich Kotite either. There is potential that the next HC will halt the progress of this team. It is also possible that the next HC will propel them forward. Usually when a coach is fired everyone says, "the only way to go is up." Look at the Jets for example (and I like Rex) but they felt that they needed a change so that the organization could start going in the right direction again. The Bills were actually heading in the right direction when St. Doug took his ball and went home. They can either go back, stay where they are or go forward. That is a different scenario than many of these other teams are facing.

That's standard? I don't think so.

He was coaching a season with a new owner on board. Change is very commonplace in this scenario. His 2 year record at the time was 14-16 and he had two games left in the season. The stated goal was 'playoffs.' That was in the balance. It's not a question I'd ask at that point, but I don't think it's out of left field either.

Regardless, why does Marrone care? A coach who takes that type of criticism personally is likely in the wrong job....or going to be perpetually miserable. What happened to: "If you listen to the media/fans, you'll be sitting with them soon enough."

The media asked him if he was worried about his job security after the GB game. You know, the game everyone said we had no chance of winning.

The media nailed it!, because in their minds at that point it was more than clear and obvious Jim Schwartz and the defense was winning games, while Doug "abandon ship with a mere text" Marrone and his inept OC were only 'skilled" at playing their predictable version of 3 & Out.

The writing was on the wall, and the press had every right to wonder aloud if Marrone thought/felt he had job security given the DC's masterful performances week in and week out during the season. It wouldn't surprise if some in the media, and even more than a few fans were already wondering how much better the Bills could be if Schwartz was the HC with a competent OC of his own choosing...

That's kinda OC's point.

Were a small city that lives and dies by our team. Starved for a winning organization. Weve watched so many teams rise and fall, yearly but its never our team. I think as a whole all Buffalonians want is to catch that star once in our lifetime. We also all think we know better than anyone what a winning organization looks like, so at the first sign of weakness by the team everyones ready to pounce, and blow it up and start again.

In this modern age of paradoy in the NFL, teams rise to win it one year, and can bottom out the next. i personally only can take it so seriously, but you know, i look at it like championship or bust. 9-7 does me as much good as 2-14. If we dont win it all on any given season, we failed.

And im more than willing to offer my opinion of how to fix it and win the big one! :)

OK, I am pretty sure you are not serious here..but lets say you are.

Strength is running from a challenge..okay

Strength is believing in, and taking to heart criticism, from, in your word..."morons"...

Hah...see you have achieved you goal...14 replies added while i was typing this

Edited by plenzmd1

The media nailed it!, because in their minds at that point it was more than clear and obvious Jim Schwartz and the defense was winning games, while Doug "abandon ship with a mere text" Marrone and his inept OC were only 'skilled" at playing their predictable version of 3 & Out.

The writing was on the wall, and the press had every right to wonder aloud if Marrone thought/felt he had job security given the DC's masterful performances week in and week out during the season. It wouldn't surprise if some in the media, and even more than a few fans were already wondering how much better the Bills could be if Schwartz was the HC with a competent OC of his own choosing...

Yes, Marrone had nothing to do with the masterful defense. I mean, our defense was setting records before he got here.

Every HC in the NFL (and big NCAA schools), no matter how successful gets crap. Tomlin got crap for going 8-8 the last 2 seasons. Pelini at Nebraska got fired simply because he didn't win the Big 10. Marrone couldn't handle the job qualifications (media and fan criticisim) and quit of his own volition. No one "forced" him out.

Were a small city that lives and dies by our team. Starved for a winning organization. Weve watched so many teams rise and fall, yearly but its never our team. I think as a whole all Buffalonians want is to catch that star once in our lifetime. We also all think we know better than anyone what a winning organization looks like, so at the first sign of weakness by the team everyones ready to pounce, and blow it up and start again.

In this modern age of paradoy in the NFL, teams rise to win it one year, and can bottom out the next. i personally only can take it so seriously, but you know, i look at it like championship or bust. 9-7 does me as much good as 2-14. If we dont win it all on any given season, we failed.

And im more than willing to offer my opinion of how to fix it and win the big one! :)

So you would have thought about firing Harbaugh after his first season?

That's kinda foolish, no?

I can't EVER remember a first or second year HC winning a SB. Let alone in the modern era.

Edited by FireChan

Marrone wasn't forced out by anyone except his own arrogance and poor decision making on when to go for an extension. 9-7 is not a good bargaining chip for anything even if it is the first winning season in 10 years by the Buffalo Bills.

It's a good start is all it is.

The brain trust didn't force Marrone out. The Buffalo media did. Their parrots did.

Thus, if the guy we end up with(and nothing says we will get our first choice, especially given how Marrone has been treated) isn't better than Marrone? It's not the brain trust's fault. They wanted to keep marrone.

No. It's the media and their parrots fault. Period.

Speaking of productive, perhaps the most productive use of our time might be thinking things through, before we start demanding immediate action. This would be helpful in a lot of areas beyond just the Bills.

If you believe the media forced Marrone out, you're more dumb than a dead parrot.

I think that it is an interesting question that OCinBuffalo raises. Marrone was a pretty good HC. He wasn't Vince Lombardi but he wasn't Rich Kotite either. There is potential that the next HC will halt the progress of this team. It is also possible that the next HC will propel them forward. Usually when a coach is fired everyone says, "the only way to go is up." Look at the Jets for example (and I like Rex) but they felt that they needed a change so that the organization could start going in the right direction again. The Bills were actually heading in the right direction when St. Doug took his ball and went home. They can either go back, stay where they are or go forward. That is a different scenario than many of these other teams are facing.

This is very true. I didn't want Doug out, but he left. I would now promote Schwartz and Pepper Johnson, and see what Hackett can do outside of Doug's shadow. (also curious to see if Doug called Hackett about leaving, or if Hackett got the same txt the team did).