Bills GM wants next coach to revive EJ Manuel

I like Whaley but I have to agree that if he's coming on too strong about EJ in coaching interviews that is a bad sign. It's one thing to say he expects them to continue to develop him it's another to suggest that Marrone was unfair to him and he deserves more attention/playing time.

Edited by MoreOffense

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you ladies need to get out more.. B-)

of course Whaley is communicating to candidates that the Bills really like EJ, and want the next HC to include him in his plans.

this probably leads directly into questions regarding the candidate's familiarity with Manuel, and his thoughts on maximizing what talent he's observed. this may lead to a discussion on an offensive system that's scalable enough to benefit both a developing QB, and a potential veteran signing. if the candidate rebukes the concept of compromising his offensive vision in order to accommodate Manuel, he'd better be prepared to offer an alternative solution to our QB issue.

i'm guessing any candidate that can offer hope, and a fallback position would have both the owner and GM nodding their approval as Mrs Pegula sighs in adoration.

Edited by BackInDaDay

you ladies need to get out more.. B-)

of course Whaley is communicating to candidates that the Bills really like EJ, and want the next HC to include him in his plans.

this probably leads directly into questions regarding the candidate's familiarity with Manuel, and his thoughts on maximizing what talent he's observed. this may lead to a discussion on an offensive system that's scalable enough to benefit both a developing QB, and a potential veteran signing. if the candidate rebukes the concept of compromising his offensive vision in order to accommodate Manuel, he'd better be prepared to offer an alternative solution to our QB issue.

i'm guessing any candidate that can offer hope, and a fallback position would have both the owner and GM nodding their approval as Mrs Pegula sighs in adoration.

Thank you. Anything less and why even have an interview. You need to challenge the candidates to come up with something interesting.

I think it's more Whaley trying to sell candidates on the idea that the QB situation isn't as bad as they think

i honestly believe Marrone got the job because he convinced Buddy and Russ he could get the same results in the pros, as he did with the Cuse.. probably exaggerated his service as an NFL OC to bolster his claims. he may have believed it, at first.

edit - but to your point - if we're interviewing anyone who isn't aware of our situation - they shouldn't be in the room

Edited by BackInDaDay

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000455062/article/report-bills-gm-wants-next-coach-to-revive-ej-manuel

I honestly think we might lose out a good HC now. I don't like how DW is doing this. If i was a HC and they want me to develop EJ and i want my own QB then i wouldn't take the bills job.

pretty much.

If EJ was drafted in the 3rd or 4rth like he should have Whaley wouldn't be trying to force his mistake on the next HC. Just because he was a 1st rounder doesn't mean we need to keep trying to "revive" him.

I guess if I really felt like I had to sell the job I would consider overplaying EJ's potential. But c'mon, it can't actually be that bad. Between the talent on the roster, and the names of some of the guys I see us talking too...I would be horrified to learn that the Bills job (one of only 32) is something even the career coordinators of the world need selling on.

The last thing I would do is end up selling my failure of a 1st round QB to people interested in a job I'm filling.

so, Whaley bringing up EJ in interviews is somehow news..

do you think the candidates are also being told how happy everyone is at how our defense has progressed over the last two seasons - if only to lead to a discussion of where the candidate plans to take them as HC, and his feelings on working with Schwartz, etc. etc.

Chip Kelly turned Sanchez into a winner. And he developed 2014 Foles.

No one is calling Chip Kelly the Messiah, but the point still is someone of Coach Kelly's caliber could have EJ playing to a more elevated level than Doug 'abandon ship with a mere text" Marrone & his inept OC could ever do even on their best days. It's not EJ's fault Marrone is no Chip Kelly. Under Kelly, EJ could have easily amassed an abundance of accomplishments rather quickly; under Marrone and his inept OC, EJ was lucky they didn't blame him for the team's lackluster play all year long down in the Red Zone when EJ wasn't even on the playing field.

I guess if I really felt like I had to sell the job I would consider overplaying EJ's potential. But c'mon, it can't actually be that bad. Between the talent on the roster, and the names of some of the guys I see us talking too...I would be horrified to learn that the Bills job (one of only 32) is something even the career coordinators of the world need selling on.

The last thing I would do is end up selling my failure of a 1st round QB to people interested in a job I'm filling.

Championship caliber coaches have a knack for accepting challenges, not abandoning ship with a mere text...

A championship caliber coach would have no problem accepting a Bills offer even if he had to pick all the way down in the latter rounds of the Draft. Not everyone like Marrone and his inept OC needs excuses to hide their own shortcomings.

No one is calling Chip Kelly the Messiah, but the point still is someone of Coach Kelly's caliber could have EJ playing to a more elevated level than Doug 'abandon ship with a mere text" Marrone & his inept OC could ever do even on their best days. It's not EJ's fault Marrone is no Chip Kelly. Under Kelly, EJ could have easily amassed an abundance of accomplishments rather quickly; under Marrone and his inept OC, EJ was lucky they didn't blame him for the team's lackluster play all year long down in the Red Zone when EJ wasn't even on the playing field.

Chip Kelly would have had EJ amassing numbers unheard of, but EJ got saddled w/Matexty instead.

There's no way anyone would think IF the likes of Chip Kelly was developing EJ rather than Marrone & his inept OC that EJ wouldn't have blossomed into the winner he is capable of being in the NFL.

No one calling Kelly the Messiah indeed. Numbers unheard of, just like Sancho.

Chip Kelly would have had EJ amassing numbers unheard of, but EJ got saddled w/Matexty instead.

There's no way anyone would think IF the likes of Chip Kelly was developing EJ rather than Marrone & his inept OC that EJ wouldn't have blossomed into the winner he is capable of being in the NFL.

No one calling Kelly the Messiah indeed. Numbers unheard of, just like Sancho.

Chip Kelly: 20-12

Doug "abandon ship with a mere text" Marrone: 15-17

and, we'll just leave out the collegiate record comparisons so we don't embarrass "The Texter" any more than his inept ability to be the winner Chip Kelly is. There's winners like Chip Kelly and then there's Marrone, a legend in his own mind.

Where Marrone and his inept OC couldn't develop EJ, Coach Kelly could have drawn up plays for EJ's success in his sleep.

Edited by Lombardi1

Chip Kelly: 20-12

Doug "abandon ship with a mere text" Marrone: 15-17

and, we'll just leave out the collegiate record comparisons so we don't embarrass "The Texter" any more than his inept ability to be the winner Chip Kelly is. There's winners like Chip Kelly and then there's Marrone, a legend in his own mind.

Winning so much with his developing QB's that he's on his couch, just like Marrone.

I wish some on here would realize we don't have to "beg" someone to come here and coach the team. Jeez do you really want someone who doesn't really have his heart in the team. The interviews are for both sides to get acquainted and see if there is any fit. Any coach worth having knows we have EJ, and he either believes or doesn't. If he doesn't then he needs to shows us his plan for QB. Please don't act like we have to kiss butt to get a coach here.

Winning so much with his developing QB's that he's on his couch, just like Marrone.

No, on the contrary, Chip Kelly just got promoted to even a higher plane of overall influence within his organization, while "The Texter" is blaming everyone and everything under the Sun for his failures than the image in his mirror. Guess it's not easy knowing that Chip Kelly is soaring much higher on his coaching merits than on a self inflated ego much ado about nothing. Jim Schwartz and the ST's play carried the Bills to a winning season. Doug 'abandon ship with a mere text" Marrone couldn't carry Coach Kelly's water bottle. Can only image EJ's rapid advancement if he had someone of Coach Kelly's caliber developing him, anyone but Marrone and his inept OC will suffice.

I wish some on here would realize we don't have to "beg" someone to come here and coach the team. Jeez do you really want someone who doesn't really have his heart in the team. The interviews are for both sides to get acquainted and see if there is any fit. Any coach worth having knows we have EJ, and he either believes or doesn't. If he doesn't then he needs to shows us his plan for QB. Please don't act like we have to kiss butt to get a coach here.

Well said. Moreover, any championship caliber coach is more than capable of winning with EJ in the mix. Thank goodness Jim Plunkett was spared of Marrone and his inept OC.

Edited by Lombardi1

No, on the contrary, Chip Kelly just got promoted to even a higher plane of overall influence within his organization, while "The Texter" is blaming everyone and everything under the Sun for his failures than the image in his mirror. Guess it's not easy knowing that Chip Kelly is soaring much higher on his coaching merits than on a self inflated ego much ado about nothing. Jim Schwartz and the ST's play carried the Bills to a winning season. Doug 'abandon ship with a mere text" Marrone couldn't carry Coach Kelly's water bottle. Can only image EJ's rapid advancement if he had someone of Coach Kelly's caliber developing him, anyone but Marrone and his inept OC will suffice.

Kelly clearly has never developed a QB, so that's an interesting assertion.