Head Coach Candidate:David Cutcliffe

OK. I like him even more now. It's a nice read.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/cut-duke-coach-serves-mentor-peyton-eli-article-1.1456105

He seems smart enough to know the difference between coaching men and boys.

1) Has roots back to Bear Bryant.

2) Recruited Peyton Manning to Tennesee for Phil Fulmer.

3) Eli chose Ole Miss when Cutcliffe became their head coach.

4) Fired after first losing losing season for refusing AD's call to fire some assistants. Alumnus Archie Manning said his firing was an embarrassment.

5) Was OC for Tennesee's NC team-- Tea Martin the QB?

6) Signed to Charlie Weiss staff but nearly fatal heart issues prevented him from coaching there.

7) Manning brothers still seek him out to refine there games in the offseason and bring their teammates to Duke with them. Peyton did so after his latest neck surgery. Cutcliffe had interesting way of proving to Peyton that he could make the comeback.

8) Has taken Duke to bowl games the last two years. Barely losing them to Texas AM (JF's last college game) and Arizona State.

9) He should have some interesting thoughts on best using our ACC based talent.

10) He seems smart enough to appreciate what a good gig college coaches have. He is loved at Duke for going 8-4 and getting a bowl berth. I bet he'd be hard to convince to leave the ranks of Southern college football.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

[This is an automated response]<br /><br />As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.<br /><br />The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.<br /><br />Thank you.

I would love this.....having watched him build Duke's program these last few years has been impressive...He would be my #1 college coach choice. He took nothing and made it spectacular. Talk about a Saint...

This is exactly what bills should look into. He is highly intelligent, well respected. Schwartz will not have issues "losing" to him unlike to Josh Mcdaniels or young coordinator. Just watch the decision making in bowl game vs ASU this past year. Duke was over matched talent wise and he had his team on the verge of victory except for a kickoff return...then still had a several chances from inside red zone to still win. The fact that they are interviewing Greg Roman and whoever else shows that they really don't have any idea what they are doing.

Edited by ronnieroscoe

Just wanted to show off the modified title to the moderator. Seriously though, I got to wonder what a guy with this kind of resume is doing coaching at Duke? Nice school and a nice town and all. Maybe he really appreciated the challenge of changing their program.

Just wanted to show off the modified title to the moderator. Seriously though, I got to wonder what a guy with this kind of resume is doing coaching at Duke? Nice school and a nice town and all. Maybe he really appreciated the challenge of changing their program.

Michigan wanted to interview him for their opening awhile back, and he said no.

He's a little Chan-ish for me. There's no doubt he's a good coach, and if the Bills somehow got Eli, sure, but he's not exactly an inspiring choice.

I only wish the Bills had their current defense (players and staff) two years ago, with Chan at the helm. I don't think any of us would be unhappy. Well, some, but their conditions are medical.

I only wish the Bills had their current defense (players and staff) two years ago, with Chan at the helm. I don't think any of us would be unhappy. Well, some, but their conditions are medical.

To be clear, I'm relating him to Chan only in an uninspiring-journeyman-coach sort of way. I don't think the Bills should make a splash simply to make a splash -- they need to get the right person for the job -- but David Cutcliffe would just continue the string of "meh" choices that have occurred over the last decade. To me.

no more college guys who have "rebuilt" still marginal college programs at basketball schools.

I understand the sentiment, but I wouldn't say Duke football is "still marginal" -- played in the ACC championship game a year ago, and were one game away from playing in it again this year.

Cutcliffe's reputation and resume are more extensive than anything seen at OBD in a while.