How do you feel right now if you are Sammy Watkins?

YoloinOhio

How about how does the bills organization and the fans feel about using 2 firsts and a fourth on a WR that may be 4th or 5th best in a deep WR draft, when the best one (beckham) could have been gotten for just our 2014 pick only?

geez that's a big "may." Let's give it a year or two shall we? As of this moment I would trade Watkins for Beckham, I would strongly consider trading him for Evans and wouldn't even dream of trading him for anyone else. Certainly not Benjamin.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

his former coach played him in a meaningless preseason game with broken ribs. He is owed intelligent coaching.

And he's the only player to play hurt?

That seemed to have run its course. Then it was a hammy, then it was some other injury that I forget. Excuses!

He didn't seem to have any trouble in the few big games that he put up sporadically. So what, we're to understand that his injuries magically disappeared for those games interwoven in between the ones that he played like a chump?

The excuses that some make for some of our underachieving players is pathetic.

As expressed above, he's a big boy and time for him to put his big boy pants on, not having to have excuses made for why he barely even played like a 1st-rounder much less like a great one and worse than a bunch of others drafted after him.

As I've said, all we heard was, just like Spiller, wait for him to get the ball in his hands. Well he had it in his hands, 65 times, and his stunning plays and demonstrations of marvel were few and far between in that way. He wasn't outside of the ordinary for a starting WR.

geez that's a big "may." Let's give it a year or two shall we? As of this moment I would trade Watkins for Beckham, I would strongly consider trading him for Evans and wouldn't even dream of trading him for anyone else. Certainly not Benjamin.

It really isn't a question of a straight up trade.

If you think about it, a good GM may have been able to finagle getting Carr or Bridgewater, Benjamin or Beckum, and Jeremy Hill last year with a trade down to net the QB and WR instead of one trade up to net a WR that is no better than the other two.

Watkins is here, he'll be fine, but he was not worth that idiotic trade. This, as usual, is a referendum on the front office, which just oh by the way hasn't changed a wink since Pegula took over. The worst, most prolific, and longest running issues of this team are still all but fully in place.

Edited by TaskersGhost

And he's the only player to play hurt?

That seemed to have run its course. Then it was a hammy, then it was some other injury that I forget. Excuses!

He didn't seem to have any trouble in the few big games that he put up sporadically. So what, we're to understand that his injuries magically disappeared for those games interwoven in between the ones that he played like a chump?

The excuses that some make for some of our underachieving players is pathetic.

As expressed above, he's a big boy and time for him to put his big boy pants on, not having to have excuses made for why he barely even played like a 1st-rounder much less like a great one and worse than a bunch of others drafted after him.

As I've said, all we heard was, just like Spiller, wait for him to get the ball in his hands. Well he had it in his hands, 65 times, and his stunning plays and demonstrations of marvel were few and far between in that way. He wasn't outside of the ordinary for a starting WR.

It really isn't a question of a straight up trade.

If you think about it, a good GM may have been able to finagle getting Carr or Bridgewater, Benjamin or Beckum, and Jeremy Hill last year with a trade down to net the QB and WR instead of one trade up to net a WR that is no better than the other two.

Watkins is here, he'll be fine, but he was not worth that idiotic trade. This, as usual, is a referendum on the front office, which just oh by the way hasn't changed a wink since Pegula took over. The worst, most prolific, and longest running issues of this team are still all but fully in place.

The old FO would've stayed pat and taken Ebron. I'll take the Watkins trade over that.

The old FO would've stayed pat and taken Ebron. I'll take the Watkins trade over that.

And made sure to keep that 1st rounder next year because they would need to draft a pass rusher. To replace Hughes, who they would let walk.

Of course, we don't know what this new FO and owner will do with Hughes, yet. But before - we all knew.

Edited by YoloinOhio

How many games did Calvin Johnson miss this year? How many did Sammy miss?

Yeah, stats without context are meaningless.

OK, that's fine, let's apply that same standard to the rest of the rookies then. When you do you'll see how lackluster he was in comparison.

Beckum started only75% of the games that Watkins started, Benjamin, with no better maybe a worse QB situation started one less game, both had 12 TDs and more yards. A number of other rookies outperformed Watkins on a per-game basis. Most had no better QB situations, again, some worse. About half were backups or 3rd WRs.

Edited by TaskersGhost

OK, that's fine, let's apply that same standard to the rest of the rookies then. When you do you'll see how lackluster he was in comparison.

Beckum started only75% of the games that Watkins started, Benjamin, with no better maybe a worse QB situation started one less game, both had 12 TDs and more yards. A number of other rookies outperformed Watkins on a per-game basis. Most had no better QB situations, again, some worse. About half were backups or 3rd WRs.

I've had a tough morning already so I need a belly laugh.

Please please please tell me what you truly believe Beckums stat line would have been on the Bills this year. In 12 games. In all honesty.

If he was here instead of Watkins.

he barely even played like a 1st-rounder much less like a great one

As usual you tried to use hyperbole to get your point across. Below are the rookie seasons of some current NFL WRs. I get that Watkins is "barely a 1st rounder." Please feel free to match the NFL WR with his rookie year.

Watkins rookie year: 65 rec, 982 yards, 6 TDs

Player a: 45 rec, 561 yards, 6 TD

Player b: 48 rec, 756 yards, 4 TD

Player c: 65 rec, 1057 yards, 7 TD

Player d: 16 rec, 167 yards, 0 TD

Player e: 54 rec, 959 yards, 8 TD

Player f: 33 rec, 336 yards, 2 TD

Player g: 22 rec, 283 yards, 2 TD

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I've had a tough morning already so I need a belly laugh.

Please please please tell me what you truly believe Beckums stat line would have been on the Bills this year. In 12 games. In all honesty.

If he was here instead of Watkins.

All I have to say is that Watkins was blocking for screen plays using Frank Summers.

I know that you are trolling as usual but as far as targets per game go: Benjamin 9.125, Beckham, 11, Evans 8.26666, Watkins 8, Landry 6.9375. So while Benjamin (for example) finished a whopping 26 yards ahead of Watkins he had another 18 balls thrown his way by a far superior QB.

Funny you say that, pretty much anytime anyone introduces and facts that run contrary to the agendas of others, the label "troll" makes an appearance.

Instead of targets, let's talk catch % which is a whole lot more relevant. Obviously starting WRs get more targets than others. Jordan Matthews, Hurns, and Landry are the only other rookie WRs to have started all 16 games. None was the primary target all season like Watkins was.

As far as catch % goes, Watkins ranks 9th for rookies with more than 500 yards receiving and behind Cooks, Landry, Beckum, Matthews, Robinson, Evans, Bryant, and Hurns.

Sorry, but dems da facts.

Beckham not Beckum

Ridiculous isn't it? Like the team "owes" him something for trading up and drafting 4th overall. And anyone watching the games realizes he didn't get more targets because a) he wasn't getting open, b) he was dropping easy catches and c) he doesn't win "jump balls"

Anyone that wants to know the truth instead of overreacting with emotionalism as well.

Some people here will defend anything that wears a Bills uniform. That includes the front office. At some point, I was hoping that it would be the change of ownership, I guess no though, that's going to have to change if we're going to become a good team.

Right now due to a glaring lack of vision this team's cupboards are bare in the QB & RB departments. You don't just build that up in one or even two offseasons, especially when you're missing two key picks from a dumb trade the year prior. Once again, our mavelous front office that doesn't appear to be changing at all.

As usual you tried to use hyperbole to get your point across. Below are the rookie seasons of some current NFL WRs. I get that Watkins is "barely a 1st rounder." Please feel free to match the NFL WR with his rookie year.

Watkins rookie year: 65 rec, 982 yards, 6 TDs

Player a: 45 rec, 561 yards, 6 TD

Player b: 48 rec, 756 yards, 4 TD

Player c: 65 rec, 1057 yards, 7 TD

Player d: 16 rec, 167 yards, 0 TD

Player e: 54 rec, 959 yards, 8 TD

Player f: 33 rec, 336 yards, 2 TD

Player g: 22 rec, 283 yards, 2 TD

I will help you out: player "a" is Dez, "b" is Calvin, "c" is AJ Green, "d" is Antonio Brown, "e" is Julio, "f" is Jordy Nelson and "g" is Demaryius Thomas.

Let's not forget that Beckham played on the tenth-ranked offense, with the seventh-ranked passing offense, while Watkins played on the 26th and 19th-ranked, respectively. The Giants threw the ball about 30 more times than the Bills, for a total of about 600 more yards.

That may have contributed to the difference. Maybe.

A good front office would have traded down, ignored Manuel and never drafted him just oh by the way, in the trade down have aquired Carr or Bridgewater, another WR, possibly Beckum or Benjamin, and have taken Jeremy Hill in round two also.

But we don't have a good front office and haven't.

It takes vision to be able to do this, our FO has none. It shouldn't have been difficult to realize that a 33-year old RB isn't going to carry your team, that a marginal role player that puts up a big play every fourth or fifth game isn't a reliable RB, that Brown wasn't much more than that, and that Dixon was anything else but a short-tough yardage kinda RB.

With faulty assumptions come faulty conclusions. Our FO specializes in faulty assumptions.

Beckham not Beckum

Is this relevant?

Thanks though.

Edited by TaskersGhost

Is this relevant?

Thanks though.

Not to be too nit picky but it is a little relevant. The Giants had a pass catcher on their roster named Beckum as of 2012. He was a TE from Wisconsin that was considered a good prospect prior to his injuries. I just want to be clear that the guy that you love so much is not him but rather Odell Beckham Jr. (the rookie WR from LSU). I figured for as much as you like him you would probably know how to spell his name - no? He is going to be a great player though (especially if he continues to get 21 targets a game as he did in week 17).

Also, any thoughts on the rookie seasons of the other WRs mentioned above or is that not relevant to your crusade?

Edited by Kirby Jackson