Pegula - better be lucky than have his Plan A?

GG

I didn't know which of the existing topics to put these thoughts in, as they encompass several threads, so I decided to start a lamp.

In reading the various postmortem accounts from everyone trying to push their side, it's obvious to me that as of last week, Marrone was on the verge of winning the power struggle, Polian was going to come in at the top, and AJ Smith would come in as GM, replacing Brandon & Whaley. I'm guessing that Marrone was able to convince Pegula that Whaley didn't give him the right tools to be effective, which Polian parroted on ESPN. Plus, with many of the analysts praising the saint, Pegula probably thought he had a gem on his hands. Meanwhile, Brandon's exit would cut the last cord to the old OBD regime.

There are many signs pointing to this, including reports that Pegula had an extension in place for Marrone and expected Marrone to sign it. The discussions with Polian were at advanced stages, because Polian had a lot of detail on the job, while his excuses for turning down the role were very hollow. The most plausible reason he gave for walking away was Marrone's exit. To me Marrone was part of the deal to bring Polian over.

That was Plan A all along. So what happened that torpedoed the whole thing? My hunch is that Sexton called to tell Marrone the Jets job is available for him, and Marrone bolted. That was the end of Plan A.

Plan B is status quo, with another year to evaluate Whaley & Brandon.

I happen to like Plan B better anyway, because it's becoming apparent that Marrone was the snake in the grass who may have intentionally undermined his GM and the rest of the team. That is not the kind of person I would want in my organization, and there are many coaches out there with his competence level, without the sleaze.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Plan B involves a tampering investigation. If it somehow works out that Marrone ends up as coach of the Jets, Marrone claims that he left in part because he never wanted to trade away the Bills' 2015 pick, and yet we manage to get the Jets' #1 pick in 2015 because the Jets tampered with Marrone... luck doesn't even do that justice. It would be Cosmic Karma.

Personally, I don't believe the AJ Smith elements. Marrone wanted more power over personnel period. AJ Smith was not going to give it to him, and even though Polian and Marrone seem to be close, they have never worked together. It seems Polian likes him from afar. The Polian, Smith, Marrone trio would be worse than it is now, Clash of The Massive Egos. I only saw one time one little blurb about AJ Smith. Didnt believe it then or now. And that really wouldn't be starting over. That would just be old Bills cronies that Ralph didnt like.

I also think it would have been hard for the Pegulas to completely give up power to Polian and Smith without really bringing them in first, unless they had met and had long discussions, which I guess is possible.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I didn't know which of the existing topics to put these thoughts in, as they encompass several threads, so I decided to start a lamp.

In reading the various postmortem accounts from everyone trying to push their side, it's obvious to me that as of last week, Marrone was on the verge of winning the power struggle, Polian was going to come in at the top, and AJ Smith would come in as GM, replacing Brandon & Whaley. I'm guessing that Marrone was able to convince Pegula that Whaley didn't give him the right tools to be effective, which Polian parroted on ESPN. Plus, with many of the analysts praising the saint, Pegula probably thought he had a gem on his hands. Meanwhile, Brandon's exit would cut the last cord to the old OBD regime.

There are many signs pointing to this, including reports that Pegula had an extension in place for Marrone and expected Marrone to sign it. The discussions with Polian were at advanced stages, because Polian had a lot of detail on the job, while his excuses for turning down the role were very hollow. The most plausible reason he gave for walking away was Marrone's exit. To me Marrone was part of the deal to bring Polian over.

That was Plan A all along. So what happened that torpedoed the whole thing? My hunch is that Sexton called to tell Marrone the Jets job is available for him, and Marrone bolted. That was the end of Plan A.

Plan B is status quo, with another year to evaluate Whaley & Brandon.

I happen to like Plan B better anyway, because it's becoming apparent that Marrone was the snake in the grass who may have intentionally undermined his GM and the rest of the team. That is not the kind of person I would want in my organization, and there are many coaches out there with his competence level, without the sleaze.

Just asking about the "many reports" about Marine's extension. Wasn't it just one report from LaCanfora that some of us pegged as getting fed him directly from Marrone' s people? Was it ever corroborated? Edited by PromoTheRobot

Marrone may have opted out, but hasn't signed anywhere. Always a chance that he could sign back in Buffalo.

I wanted to keep him but fug him, he quit on his fellow coaches, players and fans. No chance he comes back.

Just asking about the "many reports" about Marine's extension. Wasn't it just one report from LaCanfora that some of us pegged as getting fed him directly from Marrone' s people? Was it ever corroborated?

That's the part that doesn't make sense to me, why would his camp be leaking that he was offered an extension, but walked away anyway? That would make him a sure fire quitter.

If MArrone was about to win the power struggle and get AJ and Polian and move Russ and WHaley out, why would he drop all that to go to the disaster that is Woody Johnson and the Jets?

Doesn't make much sense.

My only explanation is that his true dream job became available.

That's the part that doesn't make sense to me, why would his camp be leaking that he was offered an extension, but walked away anyway? That would make him a sure fire quitter.

My only explanation is that his true dream job became available.

Well, then he can't tell his dreams from his nightmares. He's a moron.

If MArrone was about to win the power struggle and get AJ and Polian and move Russ and WHaley out, why would he drop all that to go to the disaster that is Woody Johnson and the Jets?

Doesn't make much sense.

Yeah, that part doesn't make sense either. A lot of the rumored scenarios don't make logical sense. I think it was much more simple than that. Marrone wanted more power and got shut down. Sexton wanted Marrone to quit anyway. Polian wanted the HOF vote and didnt want a big show about the Bills til after January. It could even have been that Polian didnt want the media asking him about a HC because that would have appeared to the HOF as if he took a bigger job.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

It makes sense to me - it makes it seem like the Bills were hoping to keep him, but he chose to leave because of the dysfunction within OBD. As opposed to, he asked for an extension and was denied, which suggests that Pegula wasn't too enamored with him.

Personally, I don't believe the AJ Smith elements. Marrone wanted more power over personnel period. AJ Smith was not going to give it to him, and even though Polian and Marrone seem to be close, they have never worked together. It seems Polian likes him from afar. The Polian, Smith, Marrone trio would be worse than it is now, Clash of The Massive Egos.

Maybe it was the thought of A.J. coming in as GM that made Marrone bolt. Doug would have had even less say over personnel, given Smith's ego and track record...

Well, then he can't tell his dreams from his nightmares. He's a moron.

That's why sometimes it pays to be lucky.

If the rumors about Jets are true, he would have much more control over personnel in Florham Park. So in his mind, similar jobs, similar risk, but now he gets to coach at home an elevate his sainthood.

That's why sometimes it pays to be lucky.

If the rumors about Jets are true, he would have much more control over personnel in Florham Park. So in his mind, similar jobs, similar risk, but now he gets to coach at home an elevate his sainthood.

But it's weird that Marrone is interviewing elsewhere like Atlanta. If the Jets were that hot for Doug would he have left NY without an offer? I think the wave of bad press, or possible tampering charges, might have scared Johnson off.

Just asking about the "many reports" about Marine's extension. Wasn't it just one report from LaCanfora that some of us pegged as getting fed him directly from Marrone' s people? Was it ever corroborated?

Yes, just LaConfora and I suspect he is being fed that line from Marone's agent, but we don't know. Local reporters with ties to the Bills organization reported the opposite. I seriously doubt they offered Marrone an extension, but who really knows.

Maybe. I just doubt that scenario. There would be more AJ Smith talk than that one blurb.

True. But we didn't even start to hear about the front office shake up until a week ago.

The A.J. Smith talk was probably going to heat up after Polian was signed, but was being discussed internally with Pegs who may have left it slip with Marrone. It's all conjecture, but maybe Marrone saw the writing on the wall for having less rather than more say over the roster...